bunnies

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
imagooch

bunnies

Post by imagooch »

This year we "hosted" a family of rabbits that ate all the leavings under the bird feeder, and then turned their attention to my hostas - especially the new ones. Their preferred choices were: Praying hands and Abiqua Recluse that were eaten down to 2" stems, as well as an established Amy Elizabeth that was really decimated. Some others were nibbled at too, but not to the same extent.
Any answers on how to protect them next year, besides putting a basket over them?
I have to admit I almost cheered when one of them was grabbed by a turkey vulture!!
Anne
HostaDesigner

Re: bunnies

Post by HostaDesigner »

This was my answer:

:lol:

Not sure what else you can do, as I don't have too many problems with them. Bitter-tasting spray you can put on the plants?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

And my answer to that:

But, if you can't have animals and can't rely on more turkey vultures stopping by, you could try trapping the rabbits and relocating them, then sprinkle blood meal or other animal deterrents around the plants as a future preventative. Blood meal works pretty good to keep rabbits away. I just throw it into the wind on a slight breezy day so that the dust settles over the whole garden. It is also a nitrogen fertilizer and is relatively inexpensive compared to other sprays.

Good luck!

Chris
ckp

Post by ckp »

spray the whole area with " Liquid fence", It will keep the deer awy also. Charlene
Charlene
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

The movie Fatal Attraction comes to mind.... :-?

I like the dog or cat idea, fairly simple.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
New Topic Post Reply