OK First Frost

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

OK First Frost

Post by Ginger »

We are expecting our first frost this weekend with lows in the morning of 35 or so. I have to say.. I am ready :lol: :lol:
My hosta are looking really tired and spent, and even though we have been getting a ton of rain and I have not had to drag the hose all over God's green earth, I am ready for everything to go to sleep for the winter :lol: :lol:

I do still have some Hosta that are putting out new growth and one is still flowering :eek: I may have to put it in the shed :o

Ginger
Last edited by Ginger on Oct 08, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: OK First Frost

Post by Chris_W »

I hear you Ginger, I am ready for them to go to sleep too. We had a frost a week ago that was so light the hostas remained virtually untouched. In a way I'm really glad that we've had such a long summer, though, because it puts my mind at ease about nematodes. If any damage was going to show up in our growing area we would certainly see it by now. Since there aren't any chemicals to combat nematodes we can only really rely on quarantine methods before planting things out, and keeping close watch on what is there.

But other than that, I'm ready. The growing areas are all mapped, inventoried, and I even have the hosta list for 2010 worked out, so they can go to sleep now. Besides, the longer and colder the winter the bigger the plants will be next year :D
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Sounds like you are ready and then some Chris! I suspect we will have a cold wet winter in OK this year, which for us means ICE :eek: :eek: NOT looking forward to that :lol: :lol:
Ginger
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Winter :eek:
the longer and colder the winter the bigger the plants will be next year
????????
Something new or just me ?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
loisf

Post by loisf »

This was the scene we awoke to this morning, along with a temperature of 24 degrees. Yesterday was glorious; everything was still blooming. Today is so sad.

Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, Lois, it doesn't even look like your hostas had taken a frost yet!

The good thing about snow, however, is that it insulates plants from the full force of 24 degrees, so things would have looked worse without the snow. How's that for a silver lining? :lol:
loisf

Post by loisf »

Chris, they hadn't suffered a frost yet. We had our first light one only yesterday, and most of the hosta didn't seem affected at all. And you're right about the snow protecting them. It's only 34 now at 2:00, but the sun it out and the snow is melting. Unbelievably, many of the hosta are slowing lifting their leaves off the ground and standing up. Unfortunately, I think it's supposed to be back in the 20's overnight for the next few nights. That will probably do them in. I'm just not ready for winter yet. I had kind of a rough summer, and I was counting on that fantastic September weather to last a couple of more months. Silly me!
jgh

Post by jgh »

My condolences to all who are watching the devastation of frost and snow. After a summer of drought we finally broke down and hired some guys to reside our house and replace some windows and generally debilitate our savings account. This is what the house looked like a couple of weeks ago...

so of course it started to rain... day after day, setting the project back to a completion date of "whenever."

then the frost and snow were coming.

we wrote a bunch of pre-dated checks and got out of dodge.

no frost here in Virginia... the RV is snug at night... pictures like yours, Lois??? We stick our fingers in our ears and say la-la-la-la-la... putting off the inevitable as long as we can!

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That looks like a marvelous adventure, jgh!!!

We've dodged a bullet here with frost and freezes. Ten days ago there was frost on the north side of roofs as I was going to town. We didn't get any here though, which is very surprising, since we are usually first being down in kind of a hole.

Over the weekend it was supposed to freeze Fri. and Sat. but we stayed at 35 with cloud cover so no frost. We are out of the woods, I think, for a week or more now. Thank goodness, because I still have a lot to plant!!! The ground is wet, but I covered the seedling bed, so it will be dry when the rain stops and I can get back out to the gardens.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

Chris is that true that longer colder winters help the plants?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

In the case of hostas, yes, there seems to be a correlation between longer, colder winters and bigger clumps, or at least bigger eyes and leaves. The dormant eyes/buds form underground or under the mulch/snow during the winter. The longer they are covered the larger they seem to develop. It is especially true for the sieboldianas and sort of the "big blues" that only develop one set of dormant buds during the winter, but not so important for ones like the fragrant plantaginea relatives (those send out new eyes all summer long so dormancy isn't a real issue with them).
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I have seen a big change in my hosta since I put them all in pots and leave them out all winter. The ground just never got cold enough in the winter IMO and since they have been in pots, the leaves are much bigger, more eyes and they actually seem a lot healthier. So I am a believer in cold for Hosta :D

Ginger
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Chris, so even if the roots do not grow with temps. below 4 C the buds do .....?

This may explain something for me.
During the years my hostafriend( in crime) and I had got the same plants at the same time. Often he had them transported to Denmark and I had to pick first :D Tiny differences or none, but every hosta has grown better/faster in his garden than mine.
No big difference in watering and fertilizing...we talk to much :D
They have sandy soil, I had clay and we thougth it was the reason, even we could not understand it for real..reason= mine came up before his did, but his grew bigger than mine.
I was close to the coast (and even closer now), he lives in a frost hole. Even if the country is no more than 70 miles with some places - where he lives is one of them- there are big differencies between the coastal areas and the middle of the country. The temperature gab can be up to 15C in wintertime.Right now, mid might, he have minus 1,7C and I have at least +5,8 C. If I am lucky My killing fros can wait 2 to 3 weeks

Have to talk to him about it ,... :lol:
It even may help him whis the normal winter blues.. knowing his hostas goes down before mine and rise after mine :lol:
Pia :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply