Can anyone name this hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Can anyone name this hosta

Post by redcrx »

Can anybody help in naming this hosta.

It's the first one up in the Spring.

Light green leaves - straight edge.

Vigorous - bought a small plant 3 seasons age, was good size mound last year, had over 75 sprouts this year.

Evaporates at the end of the season - nothing to clean up.

Does not have seed pods.

Light lavendar flowers - early in the season. Before Fortunei Albopicta which is next to it.

New point this year - the eastern side of the plant (gets more light) had flower scapes with leaves on them and they are still green while the other scapes without leaves are all dry now.

Not bothered by slugs.

Still up in October.
Attachments
unnamed #2 09 0346.JPG
unnamed #2 09 0347.JPG
IMGA0619b f .JPG
IMGA0619b f .JPG (37.27 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Unnamed 3 09 0349b.JPG
IMGA0173.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Roxanne

Re: Can anyone name this hosta

Post by Roxanne »

'Fortueni Aurea' is my guess.
I like these "name who I am" games....so I have to try to figure it out, hopefully it's an educated guess! :P
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I would say it is 'Undulata Erromena'.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I hadn't posted a guess, because I was torn between fortunei Aurea and undulata Erromena. The latter was my first guess, but when I saw that it seems to come up a lighter color, I was not sure. The leafy flower scapes, and the fact that it blooms at a different time than its neighboring fortunei make me lean towards an undulata.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Thanks folks. The undulata Erromena picture in the library seems to have more "pie crust" edge but following a sport called Journeyman looked more like it but that plant is in England and wouldn't be in my garden. The write up on Fortunei Aurea says it has seed pods - mine hasn't shown any yet after three years but maybe because it is the first to bloom in my garden - Twilight and Fortunei Albopicta are full of pods and right next it. It a shame there aren't any flower pictures of it in the library.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I just went out to measure the leaves. It is 7 by 4 inches. Fortunei Albopicta has leaves 10 by 7 inches.
unknown compared to Fortunei Albopicta on right  October 24, 2009
unknown compared to Fortunei Albopicta on right October 24, 2009
here is the unknown clump starting out  April 5, 2009
here is the unknown clump starting out April 5, 2009
more photos  April 22, 2009
more photos April 22, 2009
more photos  April 22, 2009
more photos April 22, 2009
Last edited by redcrx on Oct 26, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

The blooms are too dense on the scape for an undulata. Having said that, it's hard to come up with a guess. So many green seedlings and species/speciods… You paid for this? So there must be a reason you bought it.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I think it was just to fill a spot - before I knew better. But I also was interested in having flowers for Hummingbirds and this does have a lot of flowers.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,
My two cents: The 'Hummingbird' hosta :D
I am unsure if this one will be exactly figured. As previously stated, this is a big pallette.
Good Luck
Be part of the solution
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I had avoided asking the question because it's too hard to narrow down. But I thought I might give it a try. It does seem to be in the Fortunei family - so I'll keep looking there. Hmmm, maybe I'll just name it "Early Riser", what the heck it's in my garden.

Just checked the library and it's not being used. I did find one called "First Up" that looks similar but there no database information.
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

My vote is Fortunei Aurea.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Whoops, just found "Early Riser" in Hostapedia - Ran Lydell is using it.

I'm going to use the suggested "Fortunei Aurea". It works on most points except what I'm seeing in leaf size. I see it listed as 10 to 11 inches long while mine is a lot smaller at 7 inches long - maybe it's still maturing and I'll see a bigger leaf in a year or two.
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Fortunei Aurea is quite a striking albescent gold, with a light dusting of bloom on it, good corrugation, and relatively slow growth. It's definitely not a smallish green fast grower like your mystery "Hummies' Delight". Regretfully, I can't offer you a better name possibility.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

OK, so it's not Fortunei Aurea. "Hummies' Delight" is a neat name.

Some other details:
It would have been bought at a "box" store, I was not into mail-order plants at that time.
It would have been small and cheap - $4-$6.
It handles a few hours of hot midday sun.

Here are some more pictures taken last year showing the flowering cycle - with a good photo of the flowers.

I noticed in these shots that there are small leaves going up the scape. I hadn't noticed them before and thought they were new this season.

The hosta to the right is Twilight.
Attachments
6/3/2008
6/3/2008
6/24/2008
6/24/2008
7/13/2008
7/13/2008
7/13/2008
7/13/2008
7/18/2008
7/18/2008
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

I would say deffo F Area had a good idea it was a fortunei from your description. here always dood doers and mother to many sports
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hi Mark, you are going way back into the archives.

Fortunei Aurea was a good suggestion. It does look like it. But I bought one and planted it right next to this plant. The first thing Aurea did was put up seed pods which this one never does. So I'm still looking for a name.

Thanks for looking.
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

trying to look at the leaf structure of "old faithful" and the light lavender flowers. if its any fragrant, i think the young leaves of the OF looks like your young ones.

i can be very far off tangent.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

No, I'm pretty sure it's in the fortunei line - the flowers look like fortunei to me and flower earlier then OF. OF has bigger leaves and flowers.

Thanks.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

hahahah going bk to the archives I quite like a lot of the archive hosta good growers reliable gneraly easier nad have stood the test of time. I think my forst hosta was a Fortunei Hyacinthina then and Erromona Undulata and some S elegans. Hell they were slow to bulk up then Idiscovered mail order and certain flower shows with specailist growers my world began (well part of it) as I said on introduction I eventually got to about 180 but now just have the following list (all in pots) lost my garden when I moved.

Earth angel
Wide brim
Striptease
June
Emerald tiara
Fortunei albomarginata
Fortunei hyancinthina
Fortunei Aureomarginata
Invincible
Regal splendor
Gold standard
Guacamole
Wolverine
Francee
Queen josephine
Sieboldiana elegans
August moon
Summer Breeze
Patroit
Dream weaver
Praying Hands
Minute man

yes it gets bigger almost every week!!! wish my concreted area did !!! some point I will post pics some for ID as I am unsure as to August moon and my patriot deffo isnt a Patriot at all was mislabeled think it could be a F aureo but not 100 %

there is nothing wrong with older varieties
Regards
Mark Raw

ps not 100 % about waht I think is Earth angel either
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I picked up another hosta book this winter - "Hosta The flowering foliage plant" by Diana Grenfell. I am still going through her history of hosta naming. In her photos there was a picture that caught my eye as looking like this one. The label was undulata Erromena. So now I inclined to go with that.

Thanks for looking.
New Topic Post Reply