Hostas with Legs

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Hostas with Legs

Post by renaldo75 »

Have you ever had a hosta wander off?? Never to be seen again. I've had several that grew legs and later when I was wondering where I'd put/planted them, they were nowhere to be found.

The other nite I was updating my hosta list & discovered a repeat runaway. Back in 2004 I'd picked up Alleghan Fog at one of the conventions. That fall when they went in the ground it was nowhere to be found. Same thing again this year, but I think I got it from Chris & Brian after the National Convention. I had up-potted a bunch of this year's purchases and they're in the new garden. The rest were 'trenched' in at the garden at home. No sign at all of Alleghan Fog when I was doing that although I didn't realize it until later. I guess this one just doesn't want to be in my garden. I was completely baffled the 1st time it ran off. Now I am more than ever... :???:

Anyone else ever had a hosta that just didn't want to stick around?? Or is it just me? :roll:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hostas with Legs

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Renaldo,

When I first saw the topic I was thinking colored legs, not ones that actually walked off :wow: Sorry to hear you've "lost" some like this. :(

I've had a few that have done this, though not the same plant twice. At first I thought they had sprouted two legs with a shovel, but then I saw the culprit myself - a big groundhog that was digging them up whole and then dragging entire clumps down its hole!

Do you think that maybe next spring you might find it in an unexpected place?
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I had a Diva that wandered off. Completely unaided, just was not where it should have been.
Luckily, I had two of them. Last spring I moved the little one that remained in place;
put it next to an unknown hosta that I had been trying to ID and could not.
Ah....well...turns out that was also likely a Diva, and I don't know WHO put it there!!!!
When I'm moving hostas, I carry around a notebook to write everything down in,
so I know that plant just got up and wandered over there all by itself. :lol:

Hoping your Allegan Fog turns up somewhere next year. If not, I know where you can
get a good start of one....

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Ren, you are not alone!! I have asked Santa for a nice set of security cameras, as I have been a good girl this year!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Chris, I don't think it was critters. But I am completely baffled about AF gone missing. It was mixed in with all of the other new purchases from this summer. I'd kept track of everything on a spreadsheet. Even found a couple that weren't on the spreadsheet when I was trenching them in. So I have no idea where it went. Just plain weird that it's the same plant that disappeared out of many 5 yrs ago. [Sounds like you should have had the 'foundation' for a very large Sum & Substance ala Van Wade w/your groundhog troubles.] :wink: If AF does show up somewhere next spring I'll be surprised as heck!!

I did my best to keep track of everything that went into the new gardens this fall, Linda. I need to go back & fine tune those lists before I forget come spring. I'm glad you found your 'runaway' Diva. Thanks for your generous offer. Not sure I should attempt another Alleghan Fog or not. Maybe I do need one and I can put some bricks around it once it's in the ground. Or maybe in a nice showy pot with a chain & padlock. ;) I kinda like that idea better. It'd make a good conversation piece in the garden...

Well let's hope you've been a very good girl, Karma. Those fancy set-ups don't come so cheap. :o
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So sad :(

Sitting at the PC looking for hostas, first time for real in this growing season

Darn it hurts everytime I see one who walked away
Most of them needed a strong man or a wheelbarrow
Some were my favs, some from Chris, some from friends
Even my Orange marmelade, told to be untrue on the HL... no it was NOT... but now I wonder...was it spesial or can I just get an other one like it :-?

Hope you just put it a special covered place - you know the place you could allways find it... it is just crossing my borders if they walk away on 2 legs
Friend
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well Renaldo......My Alleghan Fog is in the full sun bed now.....your more than welcome to have it, too.....just let me know in the spring!! None of mine walk off.....I kill them myself! :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last nite I was looking at pics of the garden from last spring & got to looking at my 'map' to see for sure which ones were which in the pics of a holding bed from 2008. And guess what's in that holding bed? Alleghan Fog... :roll:

Guess I should do some research before I claim that hostas have legs. [Although the AF from 2004 did!!]

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I had to laugh at myself though. Shows how good this old man's memory is that he doesn't remember when he bought a certain hosta. Thinking it's still in a pot when it's been in the ground for over a year. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I may be very close to that time when I need a keeper... :wink:

Thanks for your concern, ladies. And for your very generous offer Lucygoose. And Linda P.

I still kinda like the idea of chains and a padlock. It'd be good for a chuckle anyway. :wink: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Renaldo....now you have me worried. :D :???: :wink:
Glad to hear that you've tracked down the runaway hosta. It does make you wonder, doesn't it?
There's a complete black hole in my memory about putting Diva in that spot, but since that's the very same place that I decided to put the second one, I guess I did put it there and then the memory just dropped into some uncharted area of my brain.
I did my best to chart everything this year, but I'm sure I'll have some surprises next spring.
Linda P

My Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Reldon, Reldon, Reldon :!:
I wouldn't have told on myself if I were you. :wink:
I think you are going back to 'Renaldo' status. :idea:
It's so much more mysterious, as was the mystery of your missing "Allegan Fog". :lol:
Scary thing is it could happen to me too :!:

MM
Last edited by Marlys on Nov 17, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Linda/Marlys - I have ME worried!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was able to concoct a memory of me needing to get Alleghan Fog while Chris and I were talking and he was digging other hostas for me. Implanting false memories into my own head. So who really is in charge of this mind control scenario anyway???
:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marlys - I know you pretty well. You've already done the same thing. You just aren't gonna admit to it. :wink:

I thought I was Renaldo. :hmm: That's what I called my garden for the book that's being written. Renaldo's Garden. More hosta people know/call me that than they do Reldon. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Reldon, at least you didn't plant a Blue Lightning where a deceased Great Ex used to be and proclaim the following spring that your Great Ex you thought was dead came back up streaked!!!! LOL
But, I am with Marlys...I wouldn't have come clean on the whole thing, either!! :D
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Now Reldon doesn't even know what his real name is. :roll:
No one else does either. :o He has half of our hosta society as confused as he seems to be. :hmm:
At a recent mtg one gal ask, "What is your real name, anyway? I thought they call you Renaldo." 8-)
Let it be known, I'm not responsible for any on this either. :wink:
After-all, I know, I am the one, the only, Marvelous Marlys. :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one, Roxanne. I never have that problem since my hostas never want to sport. Revert yes - sport, rarely. :wink: Maybe I can get a few of them to do it now that I've dug them all up & moved them. The most interesting sport I've ever had is a Katherine Lewis that went all blue 3 or 4 yrs ago. Couldn't figure out what I was looking at til I got the map out & checked it. I've never seen a whole plant sport to something like that before. There was never a trace of the original KL. :???: It's a big nice blue plant though.

I'm always confused when I'm around you, Marlys. That's my story & I'm stickin to it... :wink: Who was it that asked me my real name?? I don't remember that at all. :hmm: You are indeed the one, the only, Marvelous Marlys!! We couldn't handle more than one of you. :wink: :lol: :lol: I had great fun giving you he(( at the meeting Sunday!! :D As always. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Reldon / Renaldo or whoever you are. :hmm:
You are loosing it. :roll: I've always admired your memory until now.
You told me / us yourself, that Jan Craig asked about your true identity at one of our mtgs @ Iowa Arboretum a while back.
You were chuckling about it.

And when you talked about the book that's being written & calling it 'Renaldo's Garden'. I thought you had really lost it completely. Then it came to me, what you were talking about is the book for the Midwest Regional Hosta Convention - book. You sly dog! :idea:

Everyone, Reldon / Renaldo's new garden is being featured on the 2009 Midwest Regional Hosta Convention garden tours. He's been the 'Diggingest Dog" for months now, digging & potting & transporting hosta plants north to Ankeny, IA so we can all enjoy them in July 2010. :wink:

Ask him what happened when the patrolman pulled him over and he couldn't get his registration or insurance information out of the glove compartment because pots were crammed up against it. :lol:

MM
Last edited by Marlys on Nov 18, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

"He's been the 'Diggingest Dog" for months now, digging & potting & transporting hosta plants north to Ankeny, IA so we can all enjoy them in July 2009. "

Picking on Reldon / Renaldo? Did you know it's November? :lol: I think it's a little late for July '09. :lol: :pumpkin:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Oh! my goodness! :oops:
Thanx! for the correction.
It is almost 20-10 isn't it!

Midwest Regional Hosta Convention
Hosted by the Russ O'Hara Hosta Society
July 8th - 11th - 2010
Renaissance Savery Hotel
Des Moines, IA
Only 50 miles from my house.

We've been having organizational monthly meetings so RR and I have been spending lots of time together.
The best part is eating at Spaghetti Works afterwards.
I love Egg Plant Parmesan.

Rest assured R/R loves to be picked on.
And he deserves it.
He picks on me at every opportunity!
And that's not an exageration either.

MM
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh goodie, it was found!! :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the laughs this morning, my good friends.
The world would stop turning if we stopped picking on one another....
but you two have it down to an art.
Can't wait for the convention!
Can we all get together to go over to Spahgetti Works sometime while we're out there?
Oh, and I NEED to hear that cop story.....
Linda P

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply