Last to come up...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Last to come up...

Post by Tigger »

Well, montana 'Ginrei' (a.k.a. 'Mountain Snow') poked up today, but I'm still waiting on 'On Stage.' Ridiculous hostas. Or maybe they're the sensible ones this year and everyone else is ridiculously early!

David
renaldo75

Re: Last to come up...

Post by renaldo75 »

I need to check on 'On Stage' today if I think about it. I saw that 'Mountain Snow' was poking up a few days ago.
My latest anymore is 'Blue Seer'. First couple of years I had it, I didn't have it in a spot where I could pay attention to it.
Then for a year or 2 I gave it up as a goner. Anymore I know that it will be the last to poke thru after everything else is
nicely leafed out. I don't even stick my finger in the soil to make sure there's something there anymore.;) It's really slow-growing
too. If it's more than the usual 2 divisions this year, I'll be very surprised.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

My 'On Stage' was not up at noon. It's ALWAYS last and is the only one of my hostas that has not yet poked through.

Used to have 'Mountain Snow' but it got HVX last year. However, it was always almost as late as OS.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
digs57

Post by digs57 »

My Mountain Snow & On Stage are still underground. Everything else is up - some, in the shadiest, coolest, darkest reaches of the garden still low and tightly furled, but neither of these come-latelies are in these locations. I'll be happy to see them awaken!
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi Dorothy! Glad to hear that your babies made it through the winter.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Tattoo

I'm still waiting for it to come up from LAST year! :roll:
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Hi, Ann! We MUST get together once everything unfurls! Loads of my OP seedlings are cropping up all over the place, including a wonderful little striped Spilt Milk baby.

I found five tiny pips poking through the earth yesterday - On Stage is officially awake! Mountain Snow is still sleeping, though. It's on the north side of a very large spruce, so that's its excuse. Or is it...? The S&S next to it is nearly a foot high.... :eek:

Digs' hosta list
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Alexa..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that you mention it, my Tattoo has not come up for about 6 years. Do you think it's dead?
Seriously, Blue Seer is always my last one, usually just a few days after On Stage, Mountain Snow,
and Paradise Back Stage. There are 11 eyes up so far this year, so I guess year 10 is leap year for
Blue Seer. :lol: Don't give up on yours, Reldon.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Deja Blue finally popped up yesterday a good 2 weeks AFTER Toy Soldier which I thought was supposed to be one of those cant-tell-apart-twin sort of deals. I really thought DB was a goner, but there are eyes next to the tag!

Still looking of On Stage though
- Henry D. Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Alexa - just cked the AHS database to be sure, but your 2 look alikes aren't closely related.

Deja Blu is a sport of Blue Boy [and if I remember right there are a couple of others that are the same basic sport - Bolt Out of the Blue & Wooly Bully]

But Toy Soldier is a sport of Blue Cadet.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Ah Ren - you are quite correct! I must not have cleared all the hosta cobwebs from last winter.... I was thinking of Wooly Bully and typed Toy Soldier. And for the record, I spotted a single nub of On Stage today! It lives!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
jgh

Post by jgh »

I believe I've found one slower than On Stage. In a raised bed, south exposure, lots of sun in early spring, and still less out of the ground than On Stage, is...

Paradise Backstage. Not surprising, since it is a sport of On Stage.

On the other hand, it shares a lot in heritage and appearance with Montana Aureomarginata - which is one of the earliest to emerge. I've never gotten how MA can be so early and other montanas can be on the opposite extreme...

Some of my plantagineas are still very reluctant to do more that showing the tips of a few eyes. I just moved the mulch to find the tiniest hint of a streaky Ming Treasure I divided and moved last summer...
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You are talking about the last ones
Here I saw the firs unfurled leaf today :cool:

I have to change the time from before Crist to before and after the Global meeting... still night frost predickted in May for this island... never have been before in 30 years :o and I normally plant my pots mid April :roll:

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :evil: :bawl: :evil: :hmm: :bawl:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Found one tiny pip of Mountain Snow just poking out of the ground yesterday, and that makes my garden officially awake! :D

Digs' hosta list
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Dorothy - how much ahead of 'On Stage' does your 'Mountain Snow' usually come up? If people are beginning to see 'On Stage' in zone 6 maybe we'll see it in a couple of weeks?
Ann
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Hmmm, this is only the 2nd spring for my very young Mountain Snow. Although it IS on the north side of a big blue fir, everything else in its vicinity has been above ground a week or (much) more. My On Stage is in a much sunnier spot, and showed its mettle a couple of days sooner. To tell the truth, I knew where to expect it only by the huge bare patch surrounded by lively spring stuff springing up all around it. Neither are anything to crow about right now, but they're alive and awake! Give' em a couple of weeks, and I might feel differently, though. :P

Digs' hosta list
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Still no On Stage. Maybe time to give up?

But the worse news, perhaps: the mulch guys (who weren't even supposed to work in these hosta beds) didn't spot the ghostly pips belonging to Ginrei, and pretty much trashed them with their interesting forearm mulch-spreading technique. Let's hope for some dormant eyes to come up.…
New Topic Post Reply