Late Emerging Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Don Rawson

Late Emerging Hostas

Post by Don Rawson »

Help me out with any additions or revisions to my list of late emrging hostas. Thank you.

LATE EMERGING HOSTAS

‘American Icon’
‘Aphrodite’
‘Black Hills’
‘Bright Lights’
‘Choko Nishiki’
‘Cutting Edge’
‘Deep Blue Sea’
‘Eskimo Pie’
‘Eternal Flame’
‘Fortunei’ cultivars
‘Francee’
‘Fujibotan’
‘Gold Standard’
‘Green Fountain’
‘Grey Ghost’
‘Honeybells’
‘Independence’
‘Inniswood’
‘Jimmy Crack Corn’
‘Kinkaku’
‘Manhattan’
‘Mountain Snow’
‘Mountain Sunrise’
‘Mr. Big’
‘Paradise Power’
‘Praying Hands’
‘On Stage’
‘Orange Marmalade’
‘Revolution’
‘Rhino Hide’
‘Snow Cap’
‘Stained Glass’
‘Sugar Daddy’
‘Summer Snow’
‘Tokudama’
‘Tokudama Aureonebulosa’
‘Tokudama Flavocircinalis’
‘Topaz’
‘Woolly Mammoth’
‘Yellow River’
guardbear
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Late Emerging Hostas

Post by guardbear »

Although I just planted Hollywood Lights last year, I would suggest it for a late emerger perhaps. Until a week ago, I thought I had lost it over the winter which would have been my first to lose in year #1. Currently, it is just an unfurled eye barely 2 inches out of ground while everything else in the yard in Central Indiana is big and pushing each other around. For several years Lakeside Black Satin and Heat Wave are always way behind the others for me as well - but not as late as Hollywood LIghts appears to be. Maybe others have some additional experience with it as well.
Linda
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Yes, Hollywood LIghts is just coming up, while most of my hostas are unfurled.
Paradise Backstage, as a reverse On Stage, is one of the last ones up.
Another very late one for me, and every year I think perhaps I've lost it, is Blue Seer.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Blue Seer is always my last to come up.

Heat Wave I just got last summer, but it's up with everything else.

After looking at your list, I see a lot that I don't think of as late emerging.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

First Mate (tetraploid Kabitan?) was later than most. Is there a general trend for tetraploid hostas to come up later than their diploid progenitor?
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

'Francee' was actually my first to show pips this year, but has been slower than all the rest since then. It's still sitting at nub-stage.

Definitely agree with Tokudama flavocircinalis; that one's poky for me.

Might consider adding: 'Royal Standard,' 'Frances Williams,' and 'Krossa Regal.' All of those are usually some of the last ones up in my garden. I wonder if the age of the plant has anything to do with it? These are all fairly new additions.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I feel like mine all emerge with eyes at roughly the same time in the Spring...the exception being the ones on the north side of the house which is shaded and lower lying than the rest of the garden. But some seem to be faster to grow and unfurl than others. I never really feel like I'm waiting for one to show up, though.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

My 'Gypsy Rose' is quite late to emerge as is 'Ice Age Trail'. Haven't yet seen 'On Stage' and a number of others have just had little pips showing for some time, but haven't unfurled.

However, 'On Stage' is the only one of my nearly 150 varieties that has not yet shown up. It will. It's ALWAYS last.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Time Tunnel is very late for me. Most of mine are up. I haven't looked for On Stage yet, it's alway late.

Tigger mentioned First Mate being late while mine was about the first one up and we are not that far apart.

I did notice something really strange this season. I have two Risky Business that are side by side. Both bought the same time, looked the same when bought, looked the same last year. This year one is completely unfurled and the other is bearly nubs coming up. The freaky temps this season are confusing them.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Not late emergers, but I have two divisions of Halcyon - I split the plant last year. They are about 10 feet apart in the garden and one is completely unfurled while the other is just pips.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
sugar

Post by sugar »

While there are some plants that are every year consistently earlier then the others, I don't have a plant that is late every year.

I have noticed that plants in pots are earlier up then those in the groud, and that plants in the sun are emerging earlier then others, I think this is a every important driver to consider for a lot of observations.
New Topic Post Reply