Odd Great Expectations

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Odd Great Expectations

Post by party_music50 »

I got GE a couple years ago and although it's a S L O W grower, I love it. I went to take a pic last night and noticed the odd patterning in one eye. I thought you'd like it. :)

Some other photos... just because. lol! My hostas are just unfurling, and I don't have anything fancy/unusual, but I like 'em.

Lakeside Dragonfly -- I just love this guy. So do the slugs! but they haven't found it yet. :)

June was one of my first up this year! It's usually the last.

And, for Viktoria, who understands about forget-me-nots (I let them overtake the yard and then mow/rip them out when the flowers fade), this is part of my hosta garden near my burn pit. This was in full shade two years ago... then the neighbor cut down their trees so it's in full sun. I'm working on changing the content and arrangement now, and the trellises were for vines last year to try to help shade them.

And I'll toss in a photo of 'Jack Frost' Brunnera. I wish this bloomed at a different time than my forget-me-nots because they're almost identical flowers. This poor guy is in full sun now too, so I need to remember to give it a little extra water...

Thanks for looking. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Esox
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Odd Great Expectations

Post by Esox »

I have a young GE that is growing well but also has one eye with a lot of blue in it. Last year it looked like yours with half a leaf blue. This year that eye is mostly blue. I'd guess that removing that eye might be a good idea. You don't want that tendency to spread to other eyes.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Blue sports are common on GE... remove it and stick it somewhere in back and you'll have a nice big blue sieboldiana/Elegans type hosta in a couple/few years.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Very nice! Love that LS Dragonfly, I might have to find one this year. And I am :lol: about the Forget Me Nots - mine do the same. Go wild everywhere then I get sick of them and rip them out!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

My GE did the same thing. I just couldn't make myself spade out the blue part until I really had to or lose the GE part. I now have a very nice GE and also a big blue one also.
Thanks for sharing you hostas.
They are very pretty.
Sue
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Rats. I didn't think that eye on GE was reverting. I love Elegans -- it was the first hosta I had that made me really appreciate hostas. But that was after about 15 years with it, so I already have a few. :lol: I think I'm going to wait awhile before I cut it out, just like Suedia. Thanks for telling me -- but what a bummer! :lol:

I'm glad to hear that others do the forget-me-not thing. I wish they'd rebloom for the entire growing season! I love how they look when the yard is full of them.

Thanks for the replies.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply