I just do not know

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

I just do not know

Post by thy »

>
What to belive this year.

Do you know the date today ?

My hostas are stilll unfurling..a few are unfurled but some are still spikes and if I wanted a depression I could walk the dark shade and be sure there are still eyes...

Part of my country had frost last night.. way behind the official last frost day...

And here I am supossed to smile like a maniac becaurse they tell me it will be 15 tomorrow :frosty:

For anti depression I have bought a ton of anuals..sorry Kent :wink: and a trip to Rhodos /Greece in 2 weeks, just one week.. I want to stay in my garden in summertimes.. but havent seen the spring........ and summmer... 15 C :frosty:

No more COOP meeting in my country for sure :evil:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Re: I just do not know

Post by jgh »

Wow, Pia... just so different from our spring. We are still seeing things bloom about two weeks ahead of time. Most of my hostas look like it should be mid-June.

The Danes aren't known as being smiling optimists in the best of years... at least, that's what I thought from reading 'Hamlet'... but this long and cold must really be hard on a gardener's heart.

If I'm doing my math right, 15C is 59 F, for those of us from a country that steadfastly rejects the metric system...

Our high tomorrow is supposed to be 90 F... which is either 32 C or 208 C... I get confused sometimes...
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, Pia! I'm sending you a big hug.
I hope your trip helps to brighten your days.
We're having the same type of spring as jgh mentions. I'm about 6 or 7
hours south of Jim, and a little to the east. We've had the warm temps the last week,
but just three weeks ago we had a widespread freeze. My hostas think it's midsummer,
and I even have some that have what I call heat blast on the leaves. When it went from
freezing to temps over 90 (we have one day last week when the thermometer was trying hard
to hit 100...but stopped at 97) some of the leaves were not hardened off enough to take the huge
temperature swing. All in all, though, they are looking fabulous. Things are bloooming for far longer than
they normally do. My lilacs lasted nearly a month.
Now, I know that doesn't help your weather woes at all, but at least you know that SOMEWHERE in the
world the sun is shining.
I wonder if that ash colud is holding your temperatures down? Have they talked about that?

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
impatience

Post by impatience »

Pia, I'm sorry your hostas aren't unfurling yet and spring hasn't sprung there, but I can tell you that 59 degrees F sounds wonderful. We aren't even getting close to that at night. It was 78F last night at midnight. I want spring too, but going back the other way.

A vacation...sounds like it could make up for a lot.

imp
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Pia - how depressing! Here in central Alabama, I have several hostas that are in bloom. It is a great year so far and my hydrangeas look the best ever. I'll try to send some of our heat your way.

Jeff
thy

Post by thy »

Linda I am pretty sure it is due to the COOP 15 clima meeting, it started to snow the first day and the snow stayed for 3 months :wink: ... not normal, I missed my frost thavs, but from posts here I know some of you met them :lol:

I still have some daffodils blooming :lol:

Sure you have to change for the metic system, think it is part of the lessons in your shools, but things takes time, here the carpenters have changed a few years ago and the plummers are in prosess, but at least you drive in the right side of the road :D I would love to drive aroound southern england, but to drive in the left side scare me out of it. It is a known poblem in England and if you walk london they have painted "LOOK RIGHT" on the streets. Too many accidents with foringers I assume.

They tell us the temperature will rise in 5 days... we will get warmer weather from the North :hmm: ...... :eek:

Jim.. Hamlet still do it here, let me tell you: Farmers are known to complain here, but when I lived in the countryside one year was perfect rain and sun AT THE RIGHT TIME FOR EVERYTHING. So one day I talked to a farmer and mentioned everything was looking so good that year and the harvest had been fantastic ! He responded: But the strawberries got to much rain :evil:
... I think he had 12 or 15 strawberry plants in the private garden :lol:

By the way, El Niño likes it cool, never seen it as blue as it is this year ... bit weird becaurse the other blue ones aren't thatblue... like no reason for suncreame :wink:

Hydragenas... you mean those tiny little things a few inch over soil level :lol: Pics.. thank you

By the way ... no pics from me.. I have crached even the new camera.... may have taken a new step in my life... from computer crashing to camera crashing :roll:

Pia
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Pia - I am sorry you're having such a miserable spring. Well not really a spring I guess. :???:

Hang in there!! It's got to get better. :D

I was thinking that the weather in Denmark should finally be really nice the week you're on holiday in the sunny place. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy

Post by thy »

R E L D O N :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :P
New Topic Post Reply