Secret Trade Received!! 2010

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

AlwaysWeeding

Re: Secret Trade Received!! 2010

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

No problem - I will baby them in pots (along with the stash that I haven't planted from last year :roll: ). Glad to get the ones you sent. I would have understood bad leaves, too, with a reminder about your bad weather luck. I didn't get the freeze or hail and mine are all so nice this year - if only the weeds didn't hide some of them.
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

twoblackdogs wrote:The mail just came - and thank you very much Jenna L. (not sure of your Hallson's name)! Jenna sent First Mate, Emerald Tiara, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, and Herifu. All are new to my garden. Now I have to do a little research to see where to put them. Thanks again for sharing some of your garden with me Jenna.

Lela
After reading this I realized that I forgot to include my Hallson name with my package. :lol: :lol: Oh well. I have a feeling they can figure it out based on my full name.

Mike
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I am glad you and the kids liked your package Steg! I loved the finger and knew it would be great fun in the garden! You will have to turn it around on the kids and have them identify the ones you point to, sort of like my DH and I used to do to our kids with old rock and roll. When a song would play on the radio, we quizzed them about the name and who sang the song. To this day, they can name just about any song and artist from the late 60's and all the 70's. The 80 were their music so we share that :)

Have fun!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Margery

Post by Margery »

It's my turn!!! :D I received a wonderful package from Newhostaaddict today! I mentioned liking ruffles and small plants and she fulfilled my wishes to perfection with 5 ! hosta. All new to me.
Ruffles
Eola Salad Bowl
Cheesecake
Pooh Bear
Tot Tot
And on top of all that she enclosed the cutest turtle pot hanger. I love it!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate and I love them all. They are soaking and will soon be in their new homes

Marge
JennaJ
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JennaJ »

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!!! I received a package at my step today. I had to look twice at the return address--Hallson's--I got two beautiful (what else would one expect?) hostas--Big Daddy and Royal Flush! I absolutely love them. Thank you so much Chris!! And thank you again Mike (Steg) for coordinating this trade-I am no longer a swap virgin!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Many thanks to bethreck for the great new babies for my garden! I got CARNIVAL which is a new and striking hosta with a great white edge and LS DRAGONFLY who I have had my eye on for quite a while - it is a "must have" IMHO.

Thanks Beth! They are getting a drink and I will be planting them tomorrow!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Caliloo sent me Lakeside Downsized, Twilight and Alex Summers. Small , Med, Large Theme. All great looking hostas. Now I have to get mine out, I hurt my knee last weekend and today was the first day I've been able to get out in the garden so they are going out tommorow.

Thanks you Caliloo
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Just received my box in the mail. It came at a perfect time as I was having a bad day at the office.
I am so happy just had to post this. I received from Pandora, Salute I had seen a picture of this one on the forum and thought I really liked the ruffled edge and how it stood up so straight and tall. Mary how did you read my mind??? :D Then I unwrapped a Camelot, will have to do some research on this one, and the last one is Blue Arrow, I have admired this one for a long time but have not seen it for sale locally. They came wrapped and looking like they just came out of Mary's garden.
Mary thank you so very much, that's what makes this so much fun. The waiting and then the wonderful surprise of more hostas to add to the garden and I don't have any of these. They will make a wonderful addition to my hosta collection.
Also thank you to Mike for putting this all together. This forum is a great place to hang out and learn more about our addiction. :D :D :D
Sue
SUEDIA
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Sue, I am so glad you liked all the hostas. Sorry about the bad day at work. Those are some of my favorite blues.
I just love Blue Arrow, but for me it is a little slow growing and I have had to turn people away who wanted a piece
of it. I took an eye 2 years ago and put in a pot, thus the great roots. I sure hope it takes off for you.
And if you happened to read the other "sent" post, it was Salute, that fell apart to 2 separate eyes. So you
can plant them together or apart.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I love to read this tread, thank you Mike for doing it this year :D
camelot is one of my favorites, here up notht I have it in full sun and it love it. have a scecial strong powdery blue color, I n Iowa all morning sun and maybe a bit of afternoon sun may be my bet
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Two posts in a one night! :)
I received my package today too. I am so happy. Twoblackdogs sent me:
Key West, Jack of Diamonds, Praying Hands and June Fever.

Key West, I see was the deer appetizer. :lol: This one was on my list at one time and somehow fell off. I don't mind sharing with the deer at all!!!
These were all new to me. Praying Hands is so dark, J of D has great color, and June Fever is such a favorite.

Twoblackdogs, you did an excellent job picking out hostas that I would like, thank you so much.

Thank you Chris for allowing us to do the trade and thank you Mike for hosting it.

Pia, glad you like Camelot too.
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Mary, I just got home from working and reading the list of hosta's received so I read your other post. Thank you for sending the two pieces of Salute. Is it a fast grower? I am trying to decide if I should plant them together or plant as two and enjoy them both in different hosta beds. Thank you for telling me about Blue Arrow, I will put in a very special place so that it gets alot of attention. It won't scare me so if it is not increasing much each year. Pia, thank you for your information on Camelot, it will be very helpful in my placement of it. I just love the blue hostas. I am just about out of the tree canopy area in my second big hosta bed and will have to start another one under the other big oak, I have on a slope so may be a little bit of a challenge to amend and plant. I am so glad that I got in on this year's secret trade, as it was allot of fun.
Sue
SUEDIA
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

Sorry this is late but hospital hours have been keeping busy!!! I recieved my package the other day and found fantabulous suprises!!!! Three hosta that I DONT have which is so exciting....Eleanor Roosevelt, splash, and red hot poker!!! She also sent me treats from her garden which I love as much as recieving hosta!! Sent me some africian basil and a few others. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grannyfifty7 was my secret sender and I am very thankful!!!!! :D :D :D

vawildflower
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

:D Sue, guess I have given you a dilemma. For me, Salute, has been medium slow grower (DH says that makes no sense). It has matured nicely and spread, but
has not crowded any neighbors gives a good show. I received it in Hallson's Secret Trade 2004 and this is only the 2nd time I have taken a division. So, if you are going to pot them
up ,share with a hostaholic friend, or if you have a brand new bare bedding area, I would keep them separate. Otherwise, I would keep them together.

OH, and since I am posting again, how do some of you have gigundous roots other than keeping them in pots?
TwoBlackDogs, I really looked at the roots today while potting up my new babies and the roots are to die for!! :eek:
My poor tradees usually get a few nice healthy roots, but not a mass. Most of my hostas battle Maple trees so that may be the answer, or I just don't dig them right. ????
hostamanphil

Post by hostamanphil »

Many thanks to "Always Weeding" Colette.My packaged arrived and to my surprise there were 6 great hostas inside.She sent
Rickrack
Gold Edger
Teaspoon
Pearl Lake
Red October
Birchwood Parky's Gold
All were good sized and nicely packaged.Colette also sent tags to go with them.Thanks much,all were appreciated and after a good soak will go in the ground with the rest of the collection.Thanks,Phil
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Ann (amr-ind) sent me two new hostas: Elvis Lives and Diamond Tiara. They will be a welcome addition to the gardnens. THANKS Ann!
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
steg

Post by steg »

update on packages....

20 packages delivered and comments posted :beer:
5 delivered (no comments posted yet - that's OK)
5 in transit (I think a couple may have arrived today :D )
1 no information from sender on package received or 1 sent (to be sent?) :(
(FYI - This will be taken care of shortly. No worries, everyone gets a package :wink: )
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Hi all, sorry it took so long to post! A little bitty rain came through OKC yesterday and played havic with us :eek: 7-9 inches received in about 4 hours in my neck of the woods, but thakfully I am on a hill, not close to a river, and I was scheduled off so I did not have to drive in to the city, which got the most water, and due to drainage issues flooded big time :eek: :eek: . Anyway I digress, phone are back so I can let you know that I received my package yesterday (yes the PO does deliver through rain or shine, flood or tornado :lol: :lol: ). It was from Scottersbear and contained 3 wonderfuly packaged and very healthy hosta! I received
Buzzards Bay (love the coloring)
Double Dutch (looks like a great green w blue margin)
Twist of Lime (as Steg's daughter woud say "it is adorable"

They are all planted this afternoon and look just wonderful! I wll get pictures posted when I can,

THANK YOU SCOTTERSBEAR!!! I canot wait to watch them grow-up!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
amr-ind

Post by amr-ind »

Spencer1400 (Jane) was nice enough to PM me that her package was running a little late but the wait was worth it. I get embararrassed when I receive a secret trade like this one! :oops:

Spencer1400 sent nice chunks of :
Gay Blade
Lakeside Lollipop
Spritzer
Teaspoon

I'm going to pot them up like she recommends so they get a good start before finding them homes in the garden.

A BIG HOSTA THANKS to Jane and to Mike for organizing the trade.

Happy hosta collecting to all! amr-ind
spencer1400

Post by spencer1400 »

WOW!

What a package I recieved from Lelan (ZZTOPSOIL) It came in one of those long hosta shipping boxes and weighed a ton. There were 8 big hostas in there. Lelan sent me:
Alice in Wonderland, Jimmy Crack Corn, Lakeside Rosky Top, Olive Branch, Patri8ot's Fire, Rhapsody in Blue,Sherborne Swan and Toy Soldier. They were all huge!!!! They are all potted up and sitting on the back deck to get off to a good start.
The hostas are swimming here in Indiana from all of the rain. It is coming down in buckets right now. Not only are the hostas growing, but the weeds are giants.

Thanks for a great time!!!

Spencer 1400 :D
New Topic Post Reply