My first garden (picture heavy)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
lurker
USDA Zone: 5a

My first garden (picture heavy)

Post by lurker »

Hi All, I've been lurking here for a while and thought it was time to post some pictures. I started working on this project in mid March and am mostly done for this summer. All the hosta's but Sagae, Liberty, Regal Splendor and Gold Edger came from Hallson. Their plants and service were the best of the reputable online vendors I dealt with.

I know I planted too densely, but once I started buying hostas it was hard to stop. Under the mulch are soaker hoses.

My before picture. This was taken in mid March. It was unusually warm this spring so i got an early start. All the green you see is a horrible infestation of wild onions. Dug them all out by hand, it was a nightmare and I'm sure a few bulbs are still in the ground ready to haunt me next year! I started the project by re-pointing and painting the foundation.

Now

The Daylilies along the side of the house are Hyperion and will grow to ~36" tall. The ones around the side and front of the porch are Happy Returns (~18" tall at maturity).

Sagae and black scallop ajuga

Upper left is a pathetically small Liberty I received from a reputable online seller. Not too happy with the size and complete lack of growth on this one since it was planted 2 months ago. In front of Liberty are 3 gold edgers. Above them are Happy Returns daylilies. Above them is a grouping of June and Halcyon. In the front corner are 4 more Gold Edgers. This strip gets about 5 hours of full sun.

Twist of Lime in front.
Deep Blue Sea next.
Katie Q upper left.
Regal Splendor in front of the Lady in Red ferns.

7 Wolverines circling the basswood tree in the front yard. These were just planted 2 days ago so they're a bit punky. They'll firm up in a week or so.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: My first garden (picture heavy)

Post by Chris_W »

Hi "lurker", and welcome to the forums.

The plants are looking nice - look like they have been planted for a while already - but yes, they are definitely pretty close together. The good news is that there is still plenty of grass to remove and keep planting. I can envision almost all of that lawn gone and then you can simply use the sidewalk and other walkways/driveways as the garden borders. Actually, you might not need to buy too many more plants to expand the garden that much, but heck, a garden is never really finished, they are always a work in progress. :D

Have fun and enjoy your new garden :)

Chris
mooie

Post by mooie »

You did a great job in a tough spot! Looks soooo much better and must make you feel good to look at it!!

Hope you have an alternate spot for all those daylilies, when you decide you need the space for, yes, more hosta! Enjoy!

Teresa
~Imagine~
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Looks like you've got a really good start on the garden. Don't expect a lot of growth in the first year. Many hostas will take until the third year before you see much change. Meanwhile, start planning where you are going to expand the garden because the plants you have will eventually fill all the space you have and more.

I'm curious as to where you are located because the houses look just like those in the neighbourhood where I grew up in a suburb east of Rochester, NY.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jgh

Post by jgh »

nice selection of plants... and since you are clearly happy using a shovel, you'll be open to the many moves you'll be making in the future. I like seeing that you think in terms of multiples rather than a display of single plants... museums have one of each item... displays use repetition and design.

So you've done the first important step... you have a bunch of good hostas growing... it will be fun to see what your creative juices do with them as they grow up. Just one example... I can imagine that wooden ring around the tree getting twice as big with the same plants moved farther away as they become mature...

One suggestion for you... I found that mowing grass isn't too difficult - I've watched my wife do it for years... but that edging can be an incredible PITA...

So if I build a bed that abuts grass, I try to put in a "mowing strip". It can be as simple as burying a 2x2 even with with surface just outside the wall of the bed. I've found that even treated 2x2s can warp or lift up, so a 2x3 on end or even a 2x4 layed on its side create a nice break between the grass and the wall of the bed. You can just put the wheel of your mower on that strip and avoid all the trim time. To me, a small investment of time and money saves an immense amount of time later.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I try to put in a "mowing strip". It can be as simple as burying a 2x2 even with with surface just outside the wall of the bed. I've found that even treated 2x2s can warp or lift up, so a 2x3 on end or even a 2x4 layed on its side create a nice break between the grass and the wall of the bed. You can just put the wheel of your mower on that strip and avoid all the trim time.
That's a very good idea. I visited my local landscaper and found broken lots of driveway/sidewalk paving stones really cheap. Someone else has already paid for the stones and they were left over. If the landscaper resells them, they are gravy - therefore not expensive. I just set them in at ground level around my beds and they work well as mowing strips.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome , lurker! I enjoyed seeing your newly planted garden and I think it looks great! So much more appealing, isn't it? Things will look very lush in a few years and you will probably need to thin things out a bit....or expand. :wink:
like Jim's idea about the mowing strip. I'm going to have to think about doing that here also. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I'm curious as to where you are located because the houses look just like those in the neighbourhood where I grew up in a suburb east of Rochester, NY.

Close, I'm in Rome. House was built in 1890 during the canal days.
So if I build a bed that abuts grass, I try to put in a "mowing strip".
I considered that, but I liked the idea of a retaining wall to keep the mulch separate from the yard. I used pressure treated 6x6's, ripped them in half, beveled the edges and buried them a few inches deep. Not sure what will happen with the freeze/thaw this winter. I have a decent pair of garden shears and the front yard is so narrow it only takes a couple minutes to trim things up if I'm feeling fussy.
but yes, they are definitely pretty close together.
Yup, I'll have to do some moving of things I'm sure. Most of the ajuga and ferns are there mostly for filler until the hostas come in. The ferns have grown like crazy - they've doubled in volume in the past 2 months.

I'm amazed at the amount of flower stalks coming up. I wasn't expecting any flowers until next year but everything including both varieties of daylily have flowered or is putting up stalks except Halcyon, June and Liberty.

Thanks for all the kind words!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

OMG, I was going to post (like ViolaAnn) that it looks just like the houses around here... I work in Rome! Hey lurker! do you also play golf? lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Is is looking good, way better than before :D

Welcome to the forums :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I grew up in Fairport - also on the canal. Must have been a style of house built in those canal towns.
Ann
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, looks great....nice and *close*....... :lol: ....Have fun!!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

lol @ lucyGoose. :)

I think it looks great too. I have always preferred to plant everything close. I see how things grow before I make a decision about where they really belong. The cats seem to help me keep things in check too.... not from digging, but from crashing into everything as they chase each other (or squirrels). lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply