On a lighter note... Convention container competition

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

On a lighter note... Convention container competition

Post by jgh »

I entered three containers in the hosta show... all in the ceramic division...

First, here are two that aren't mine... the section winnersin concrete and ceramic container divisions...

Mixed plants in concrete

A Lemon Lime with orange ties...

And here is one Sheila planned to enter in "Container Grown" but AHS rules prohibit it. Container Grown hosta entries have to be named varieties - this is an unnamed seedling we've been growing in this good-sized rock for about 8 years... they announced a winner in the seedling/sport container grown category - apparently a new category that this one could have been entered in...

Now for my three entries. The first I call "My Dad's Dresser." (I put out the little descriptor tags after judging was completed).

This is how it looks outdoors, without the extra stuff...

and here is my humorous entry - a seedling chosen for its very round leaves...

The end of the roll was even folded into a triangle, hotel style...

and here is the one I thought was the best of the bunch... frame is made from the old siding we stripped off the house last summer - vintage cedar...

Each of the bonsai pots have a Kifukurin Ko Mame, a special rock that resembles a mountain, a patch of moss, and then the surface is covered in fine pine bark. Here is one of the pots with the 1600 pound mountain boulder in our outdoor Zen room.

The rock in this one is very interesting - it is a water-rounded piece of igneous rock that was captured in a later sedimentary formation...

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: On a lighter note... Convention container competition

Post by JaneG »

Wow Jim, very cool and very creative. Congrats on the ribbons!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Love it :D

Love the humor, and those rocks are awesome. Sure wish I had more time to go rock collecting again - used to be a passion of mine :)

Thanks a lot for sharing these creative items (and Sheila's "container" is awesome too)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

All look good and h. Derriere is just good black humor, but the best one is Sheilas, imagine that stone burried a hand or so down in the soil . looking like it is growing up from the center of the Earth, with a good looking hosta.

so, you have a zen room :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply