Before and After

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Before and After

Post by Aud »

I brought a old house last year the house sits on 4 acres of mature trees and weeds and lots and lots of grass. There was an area outside the morning room door that sits across from the patio. Looking at the area there was absolutely no plants and very few weeds. But it is very shady. I dug up all my hostas, ferns, Coral Bells from my old house. (have not put it up for sale yet so I can raid the gardens until I am ready) LOL.

This is the before and after of what I have now in that blank area.

Before

After

View from the other end before I had all the hostas moved over. Now I can sit on the patio and look at my hostas.

Shade Tolerant

Re: Before and After

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Aud what a beautiful woodland garden you created! I'm envious of all your land too. The patio is gorgeous, was it already there?
Aud

Post by Aud »

Hi Shade I have missed you thank you. Yes the patio was there but it did not look like it does now. I had the slate put down. I am in the process of putting together a before and after. This is a rehab every where you step house. LOL But one day it will be my dream house.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing. That really is beautiful, and I agree, that patio is gorgeous too. Can't wait to see more of your renovation efforts :)
Aud

Post by Aud »

Thanks Chris. I forgot to say 90% of the Hostas are from Hallson the 10% are from trades. :D

I will post as I redo the gardens. I am digging as many plants from the old house. Most people do not want as many plants as I had at the old property.
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Can't believe I missed that beautiful door and window, the slate is really a nice touch. I think it will truly be your dream house Aud! Good idea saving the plants from your other house before it goes on the market, who knows if prospective new owners will appreciate them. Would love to see more photos when you get the chance.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Beautiful, Aud!!Keep sending pix, okay! :D
Lovin' the great northwest!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

your new garden looks so good, but the window area is wonderful, here they are very seldon in family houses, mostly found in public buildings and factories and you have an window at the other side of the corner, bringing a lot of light into the room, nice patio too

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Aud

Post by Aud »

Thy, rosemarie thank you.

Thy, it a door with side windows not uncommon for the type of house in my area. Is this the same type of door/windows in Denmark.

Here is a pic when they were refinishing the living room floors with the doors open.

rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

A beautiful entryway, Aud, they don't make those enough anymore. Can't wait to see what is next! :cool:
Lovin' the great northwest!
thy

Post by thy »

Exctly the same, just we call them windows with a door openng :lol:

Here it is in the old electricity building and the water and drainage building, there are a few in the 100 years old waterfront buildings , but all exept one a lower.... yours is just wonderful

Is the woodenfloor oak ?

Pia
Aud

Post by Aud »

Exctly the same, just we call them windows with a door openng

:lol: OK Pia that sounds right. The window with a door is here because it is a old house. I had to buy a energy efficient winter storm window to cover it for our severe winters because it has lead glass so I could not replace the door window. The realtor said the glass adds value so it should not be replaced.

If you all are really interested I will post in the General Discussion Forum the on going rehab of This Old House. :lol:
Is the woodenfloor oak ?
Yes there was Oak floor throughout that had been carpeted for years so it was in good shape. A little sanding and sealing was all that was needed to bring out the beauty.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Your patio and window/door are absolutely GORGEOUS. If I were there, I wouldn't be looking in the direction of the hostas. lol!

I'd love to see the entire house and your renovation work. I've had a major undertaking since buying my house, and although much different and more modest than yours (arts & crafts), it's still amazing to see and feel the changes.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I for one would love to see more of your renovating efforts. Sounds like a lot of fun :D
thy

Post by thy »

Me too :D
New Topic Post Reply