ID help

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

ID help

Post by Tigger »

OK, it just kills me to post this, but here is this lovely hosta growing right next to our front porch and we have no idea what it is. No fragment of a tag, no unmatched receipt, nothing. Planted here about 3 years ago, I guess, when we potted up a Queen Josephine that wasn't doing well. This one seems fine. Small to medium size plant. Flowers are mediocre. But the color is really nice.

Of course, since we have no memory of buying this thing, even the best guess may never be confirmed. But maybe someone will recognize it, and the name will jog a few dormant synapses in my brain.

Thanks!

David
Attachments
I'm pretty! But who am I?
I'm pretty! But who am I?
looks like it's at least a little fertile. Clearly at the end of the bloom cycle.
looks like it's at least a little fertile. Clearly at the end of the bloom cycle.
7-8 vein pairs
7-8 vein pairs
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: ID help

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Tigger,

Did the flowers have any fragrance? And is it really dark green with a medium green margin? Off hand it doesn't ring any bells with me. I'm thinking that if you can't ID it, can we???
Mark_IL
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Mark_IL »

Could it be Sultana?

Mark
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Mark, that's an interesting idea. I know I own Sultana, but a little tickle of memory says that the one I have wasn't doing well so I might have bought another and put it here. I'll have to go look for that fragment and see if it matches.

Of course, that's no excuse for it not having a label!

Any other votes for Sultana?
Noxtra

Post by Noxtra »

David, looks like Parky's Prize to me.

Lee
jgh

Post by jgh »

I've got to go with Lee on this one... PP was my first impression. Sultana in a plant this mature should be showing puckering...
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Parky's Prize very likely. Consider Katie Q as well.
Dave
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Well, I had a Parky's Prize ages ago but certainly lost it. Katie Q is elsewhere, but they do look a lot alike. And I also agree that a Sultana this size should show more substance and texture. Oh, well. I'll keep digging for records, but may just start calling it Consolation Prize.
New Topic Post Reply