Hosta 'Soul Brother'?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Hosta 'Soul Brother'?

Post by ViolaAnn »

My 'Heart and Soul' has a section which has turned solid light green. I think it's large enough that I should be able to separate it successfully. I see from MyHostas database that there is one sport of H&S called 'Soul Brother' and the Hosta Library pictures look very much like mine. Do you think I could call it that?
Ann
Heart_and_Soul-0721sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta 'Soul Brother'?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Yes, I think you could call it that. The leaf size and shape hasn't changed at all from Heart and Soul so it doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary. By the way, Heart and Soul is a green edged sport of Vanilla Cream, so Heart and Soul is basically the same as Wylde Green Cream, also a green edged sport of Vanilla Cream. When I grew both of them there really wasn't any noticeable differences at all. So that would also make your solid green sport basically the same as Pistachio Cream also.

Chris
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks, Chris. I wasn't really aware of 'Pistachio Cream' - I see that's a 'Wylde Green Cream' sport. I have 'Wylde Green Cream' and 'Ice Cream' and just acquired 'Vanilla Cream'. I see there's also 'Peppermint Cream'. Is that one available? I've never seen it and looking at the one pic I found, I'm not sure I'd want it.

Had thought I would move them all close together. I had noticed the similarity between H&S and WGC and looked up their heritage a couple of years ago. I do notice that the variegation on my WGC is very uniform while H&S has always had a few funky leaves. So far I don't think those leaves are isolated enough that I can divide them off though.

Here's the whole family that I have.
Vanilla Cream
Vanilla Cream
Heart and Soul
Heart and Soul
Ice Cream
Ice Cream
Wylde Green Cream
Wylde Green Cream
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Viola Ann - how do you like your Heart and Soul? Mine is in its third season with me and it has been a slow grower. I almost gave it away this year due to my disappointment in it. But I put it in a pot and it looks sort of cute that way, so I'm keeping it.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've had 'Heart and Soul' for quite a few years and do find it a slow grower. And none of these plants will get overly large - that's why they are in my garden as I don't have a lot of space. I DID divide H&S a year ago; so it's a bit smaller than it was and once I remove the green section it will be even smaller. I'm thinking that grouping the whole family together will be more effective than having one here and one there as they presently are. I think 'Ice Cream' is perhaps the best grower of the lot which would be expected as it has more of the darker green.
Ann
New Topic Post Reply