Sum and Substance / Gunthers Prize

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
scootersbear

Sum and Substance / Gunthers Prize

Post by scootersbear »

I bought 2 Gunthers Prizes from Bob (hosta Library )a few years ago unfortunitely both of them reverted to what I'm not exactly sure since they both have margins and no longer streaked. Just curious knowing how hard it can be to get S&S to seed if anybody has got GP to set seed? 1 of them has quite a few seed pods on it. Although there no longer streaked I think they have the possibility to be some interesting seedlings.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Re: Sum and Substance / Gunthers Prize

Post by Marlys »

My 'Gunther's Prize' reverted to some S&S prodigy / huge shiny dark green leaves with bright yellow 1/2" margins. :evil: One eye remained 'Gunther's Prize'. It's in its own pot for now. I butchered it trying to separate it from the other eyes this spring. :bawl: Finally seems to have one very small new baby leaf appearing. I'm thinking GP doesn't do too well in tc. The original GP that used to grow n Gunther Stark's garden was an awesome sight to behold!!! :!:

As we all know, hostas do not come true from seed (except for the famous 'H Ventricosa') so anything is possible. However, I certainly would not expect to get a molted, streaked, beauty from a reverted divison but hey, anything is possible.

Try it!!! Who knows what might happen. it's all about having fun anyway. :D

MM
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Yeah I don't expect anything steaked or molted , I just haven't heard of anybody getting seeds from it. Wish I knew what the bees chose to use. Knowing these probably will be pretty big since they are pretty big pods I would have done it myself using another giant hosta. Expanding the winter greenhouse now and I thought the Komodo Dragon seedlings took up a lot of space last winter.

As far as them being TC'd I don't think I'd buy another unless it came from OS. Well I might they still make good impressive clumps.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Scooter I have a variegated seedling that came from a streaked Winter Snow. It's nothing special, still very small after 2 or 3 years. So the Sum and Substance family can produce variegated seedlings.
Joan A.

Post by Joan A. »

A friend gave me a Gunther's Prize and it finally died. I hope to find a source for another one.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Joan
I heard a rumor once upon a time that Jim Schwartz of Jim's Hostas was buying up all the os Gunther Prize plants.
I wonder what happened to the one that was in Stark Gardens.
Maybe Jim got it too!
I know Jim had a really awesome, very large GP at a convention where he was vending a couple years ago. It had a $600.00 price tag on it. It was worth every penny too!!!
But I think Jim took it back home with him, coldn't really say for sure.
Everyone was in awe of the plant though.

MM
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

I remember going to Jims and seeing his GP, it was amazing, fell in love with it thats why I bought 2 of them. I probably will try another later. Dave the fun of hostas you just never know what your gonna get. Rules may apply but but most of them can be thrown out the window.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I ended up with the last 3 divisions of Gunther's Prize that Eric Kinman sold at the MW convention in Schaumburg in 2008.
He'd sold a LOT of divisions of GP before I ever decided to spend the $40 for it. So I'm pretty sure there's nothing left of
Gunther's original plant unless someone got part of it before that convention. None of mine were streaked heavily, but they
were ok. [That's why I got the last 3.] The next year they all 3 came up looking exactly like Sum & Substance. This year they all
came up with exactly the same narrow 1/4" yellow margin. I'm still amazed that they're doing exactly the same sport each year.
Maybe one of these years they'll all sport back to Gunther's Prize. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Joan A.

Post by Joan A. »

I hope you do get a true plant Renaldo. Maybe next year.
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Since it seems quite a few of us have this margined what use to be GP, does it have a name? I do see Danny has a sport of it Gunthers Rim...You out there Danny , do you have pic of it you can share?
New Topic Post Reply