Treating Southern Blight?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
supercat
USDA Zone: 5

Treating Southern Blight?

Post by supercat »

Sorry - I'm sure this has been covered here, but couldn't find specific product names in a search. I have a Spilt Milk that is succumbing to southern blight and would really like to try to save it. I saw that there were some Bayer products mentioned, but there were so many different names in the various posts that I couldn't figure out which one was being used to treat for southern blight. Help anyone?
Supercat
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Treating Southern Blight?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

The one fungicide that I regularly see available that specifically treats Southern Blight is Bayer Disease Control with Tebuconazole. This fungicide is a curative and a preventive treatment. There is no need to lift the plant, just saturate the crown and surrounding soil. You will likely want to soak the soil around that plant, if you have it elsewhere I would also spray more of the garden, then repeat in early summer next year. I've seen it sold as Bayer All-in-One, and also Bayer Disease Control, and also Bayer Disease and Insect Control. Any of these should work, but look for the main ingredient of Tebuconazole.

I used this several years ago on some Sum and Substance and haven't seen any problems since, so it really does work great. It is also a good idea to remove the fungus, spores, and soil around the Spilt Milk and then topdress with some new compost. Otherwise the spores could move around the garden. Get rid of it before it turns to the small mustard seed capsules and that will really help minimize further problems.

Hope that helps!

Chris
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Specifically, I used a fungicide called Prostar. A little pricey, but it has cured my problem in both my hostas and daylilies.

Mike
supercat
USDA Zone: 5

Post by supercat »

Thanks! Will do.
Supercat
New Topic Post Reply