Blue eye in Pauls Glory

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Blue eye in Pauls Glory

Post by Ginger »

Morning everyone! I found at least one.. there might be two I could not tell for sure ..all blue eye(s) in Pauls Glory this weekend. It has been there awhile as it is pretty good size :???: So ....do I have to take it out or can I leave it? I think the solid blue leaves mixed with the normal color leaves would be really pretty :D

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Linda P

Re: Blue eye in Pauls Glory

Post by Linda P »

Hi, Ginger! I would probably take it out at some point, as the solid color may eventually take over the clump.
The named sport of Pau'ls Glory is Wheaton Blue, and yours may be similar. It would probably be worth growing
on as a separate plant.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

My Pauls Glory can't make up it's mind if it wants to be PG or Wheaton Blue. One set of leaves for the entire clump is PG, then the next flush (I believe in late summer, hmmmm...) it goes through a blue period. It always has come back though and it is my most robust plant even though I can't kick the damn mealy bugs on it. :evil:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
jgh

Post by jgh »

I split the difference on my big old mature clump... pulled out the blue eyes from the center, but left the rim along the back side of the clump. The blue is a little more vigorous, so it has formed a kind of blue halo around the variegated plant... looks nice...
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

That is kind of what I was thinking, the mixture would be nice, but I don't want the whole plant to go blue, so I will watch it and see what happens next spring. If the blue eye(s) come back, I will seperate them. Maybe they are just confused like Spiders?? :lol: :lol: Hi Spider! (Ginger waving)
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Take right hand then your left hand put it at the base of the blue plant and pull really hard, repeat steps if neccessary and throw into compost.. they my be small now but it will outgrow the original plant. Weaton Blue is a cheap plant, I don't really care for it, and we can argue if you can really call it that anyways. Unless you have a lot of space I wouldn't bother with it IMHO it's just like keeping the blues and greens from streaked plants...
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

:lol: :lol: Point taken SB!

G
New Topic Post Reply