Established, but unhappy hostas....Move then now?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
janey

Established, but unhappy hostas....Move then now?

Post by janey »

....or wait until Spring? I have a semi-circle of Sum and Substance around a dogwood and some nine-bark. But my "semi" is not as circular as I wanted. Those hostas won't have to move far---maybe a foot or so.

Then I have three that are just getting too much sun. Can I dig them up move them into buried pots to winter over until I know exactly where I want them?

Last hosta question: How late in the season can I plant new hostas?

Thankx muchly! (I said I needed some Gardening 101 help.)
janey
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Established, but unhappy hostas....Move then now?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Janey,

If your option is dig and pot now or move in the spring then I would definitely move them in the spring. This is a bit too late to be potting, I think, as the roots just won't be developed enough.

Personally I always try to get minis planted by mid September and like to get everything else planted by mid October. I've completely stopped dividing by now but will still move things around.

If you are just lifting plants and moving them a few feet I don't think they would mind at all, especially large clumps, but like I mentioned, I wouldn't recommend potting up for overwintering now.

Hope that helps :D

Chris
janey

Post by janey »

Chris, that helps a lot. I can easily let the ones that really really need to be moved hang out where they are until spring. That leads me, however, to when in the spring? When I see the eyes? early leafing out? They are mature, but only med. sized hosta, so whatever is best is fine.....Think I'll try to move the S&S now though, because they are already pretty big....and this spring they are due to "leap"...

Besides Sum and Substance, is there another stunner that tolerates more sun?

Thank you!
j~
loisf

Post by loisf »

Janey, I have many of the fragrant hosta in about 5 hours of late-morning/early afternoon sun, and they love it. They would include Stained Glass, Guacamole, Holy Mole', plantaginea, and Iron Gate Delight. My Dick Ward, Rainfort Delight and Radiant Edger also thrive in quite a bit of sun. I'm in Zone 4. You might have to adjust depending on your zone.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Boy, it sure has been slow here. Is everyone done gardening for the year already?

Next spring you could move them when they are eyes coming up, probably mid to late May, or any time in June should be easy still too. After they leaf out they start to really put on new root growth.

As for sun hostas, I've had great luck with Fried Bananas. It seems to just glow all summer long when planted in a lot of sun. The August Moon family does well in the sun too: August Moon, Abiqua Moonbeam, September Sun, etc. I also like Rascal and Alex Summers in the sun, and lots of the fragrant ones do well in the sun too.

Don't be afraid to keep asking questions. :)

Chris
New Topic Post Reply