Touch of Class look-alikes?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Touch of Class look-alikes?

Post by thy »

The price is just calculated around $ 13,50 to 14

Can't see any differences from this one to some of my h. Junes :hmm:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You can be my 'shipping agent' then, Pia. ;)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy

Post by thy »

Want p ants... just PM me :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

An old topic but a good one.

I was looking at some shots of Touch of Class to post on a current topic and came across this topic. I was planning on discussing this anyway because I have new shots. Here are some comparison shots of Catherine, Dinner Jacket, Grand Marquee and a new look-a-like Just June.
Catherine & Dinner Jacket & Grand Marquee & Just June - April 26, 2012
Catherine & Dinner Jacket & Grand Marquee & Just June - April 26, 2012
Catherine & Dinner Jacket - May 8, 2012
Catherine & Dinner Jacket - May 8, 2012
Dinner Jacket & Grand Marquee - May 8, 2012 - (Just June on right edge)
Dinner Jacket & Grand Marquee - May 8, 2012 - (Just June on right edge)
Grand Marquee & Just June - May 8, 2012
Grand Marquee & Just June - May 8, 2012
These do all look like Touch of Class but the next shot is a different Grand Marquee that gets a lot of sun and this would be 2 months later in the season. I think Touch of Class in the sun is still Touch of Class.
Grand Marquee - July 9, 2012
Grand Marquee - July 9, 2012
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

Thanks Chris for starting this thread and the rest of you for your posts. You just saved me a lot of money. I like Tof C so much I probably would have bought the other look-a-likes without realizing they were look-a-likes until I brought them home. I already have 2 Paradise Joyce and now know that Olympic Sunrise and Katherine Lewis would be good additions.

I checked out Luc Klinkenhammer's website due to a post in this thread. He has pictures of 2 Grand Marquees shown and they look different. Does anyone know what that's about? I've been wanting to acquire a GM.

Also, after reading this thread I researched tetraploids on the wikipedia page but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. How can you tell that a Halcyon is a tetraploid without testing? Is it the thickness of the leaves? Besides Halcyon, I also have Canadian Blue. Fransen's website says that CB is a Halcyon selection. Would that mean the same thing as a tetraploid Halcyon?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for bringing this one up again. First, in response to Ed's post, I've grown Touch of Class in hot afternoon sunlight and it looks like a totally different plant, much like your Grand Marquee picture in full sun.

The tetraploid issue is a tough one. It used to be thought that any plant with extra thick leaves and/or every wide margined sport was tetraploid, but testing has shown that this simply isn't the case. People often associate tetraploid with increased vigor, and that isn't the case either. Testing has shown that many of those wide margined sports were not full tetraploid, and others thought to be tetraploid were not. Fully tetraploid plants as found in testing were also sometimes plants with decreased vigor - not to say they didn't grow, they were just slower to grow or slower to multiply. So to answer your question, the only way to know for certain would be to have the plant tested, which isn't something that can be easily done. But from the testing that has been done we really can never assume a plant is tetraploid just from growing it and looking at it.

As for Canadian Blue possibly being a selection from Halcyon, Fransen is basically saying "It is probably just a Halcyon that got renamed." Canadian Blue was registered as parentage unknown, but is virtually identical to Halcyon and lots of people think it is the same as Halcyon.

We frequently get culls from Devon Green that are powdery blue so are essentially reversions back to Halcyon. This would be a case where someone could give these blue culls a new name and start selling them, but they will be the same as Halcyon. If I was to call it something like "Blue Spears" and register it as parentage unknown, in 10 years or so people would just be saying it looks identical to Halcyon and would suggest it is a selection of Halcyon, much like Canadian Blue.

Hope that wasn't too confusing :)

Chris
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

No, Chris that was an excellent answer. You get 100%.
redcrx

Re: Touch of Class look-alikes? - Magic Island

Post by redcrx »

I was working on Olympic Sunrise for a "Hosta of the Day". While searching the archives I found this topic and came across the mention of Magic Island as a ToC look-alike. I got Magic Island in 2011 and thought it was more June-like. Except of-course I'm looking at a young one. This one did not come back in 2012 - don't know what happened - it had a good spot, water, light - many others in the same space with no problems.

Magic Island is listed as a sport of Catherine.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... c%20Island
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Magic+Island
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/magicisland.html
Attachments
Magic Island - May 24, 2011
Magic Island - July 18, 2011
Magic Island - July 18, 2011
Magic Island - August 10, 2011
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply