How do you pronounce Tokudama Flavocircinalis?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Don Rawson

How do you pronounce Tokudama Flavocircinalis?

Post by Don Rawson »

I've always said Tokudama Flavocir- kinalis with a "k" sound, but one of my hosta friends says Tokudama Flavocir- sinalis with an "s" sound. So who's right?
Linda P

Re: How do you pronounce Tokudama Flavocircinalis?

Post by Linda P »

I don't know who is right, but I use the 's' sound. I've heard Mr. Zilis say it that way also.
For me, it's easier to say it with the soft c rather than the hard one anyway.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

In botanical (anglicized) Latin, a "c" before e or i is an "s" sound. A "c" before a, o, or u is a "k" sound. So it's flah-vo-seer-sin-al-is.
The same rule applies to "g" giving either a (soft) "j" sound or a (hard) "g" sound.
Odd twist: the letter combinations "ae" and "oe" are both pronounced as e, and so are treated in the above rule as e and i. As in [allium] caeruleum and [eupatorium] coelestinum. (both start with an "s" sound)

Note that even good botanists will sometimes get crossed up with the various ways of pronouncing Latin, so don't sweat it. In classical Latin, all c's and g's were hard. In church (Italianate) Latin, the soft "c" is a "ch" sound.
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

Thanks for the interesting lesson in latin pronunciation, Tigger! Another pronunciation question...how do you pronounce "Heuchera", a favourite hosta companion? I believe the the word is of German origin and therefore, I believe, the "ch" should have the German gutteral pronounciation of the German "ich" ("I" in English). Most people I know tend to pronounce the "ch" with a "k" sound. It's not a big deal, just curious.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

I believe it is pronounced Hu-ker-a, according to a small plant pronunciation book I acquired some years ago. Also according to the dictionary, named for German botanist Heucher.
Last edited by isadora on Oct 30, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

A very good question, irawon. In theory, botanical names derived from personal names should be pronounced so that the name of origin is recognizable as such. Easy enough for Siebold --> sieboldiana, not so bad for Fortune --> 'Fortunei' ("for-toon-ee-eye" or "for-tyoon-ee-eye" or even "for-choon-ee-eye"), etc. You'll get into fights over forsythia if you know that William Forsyth pronounced his name as for-sithe with a long I. Then we get faced with foreign names, like Heucher. Johann Heinrich von Heucher was German, so the "eu" is an "oy" as in Freud, so the plant name is closer to "hoy-ker-uh" than anything else (with that mad kitty "ch" sound as you mentioned).

God help us all when faced with [clematis] maximowicziana! There has to be a limit to how many languages one is expected to recognize and know how to pronounce!
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

And then there is Kalanchoe......Ka-lan-ko-ee. Pronouce it that way at any garden center and you get this really weird look.....as if it's YOU who are retarded and don't know how to say it!
SWMOgardens
USDA Zone: 6

Post by SWMOgardens »

You say LEER-EE-O-PEE, I say LI-RYE-O-PEE. I used to pronounce Paradigm as PAR-A-DIDJUM, until a friend said "it's PAR-A-DIME" and the boy am I stupid light bulb lit in my head. I still don't think I pronounce EUONYMUS correctly.
God walked with man in Eden's shade,
Christ sought a garden when He prayed.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

How I hated Latin in school :evil:
No one really knows how Latin was pronounced, so the rule in Latin is no pronountion at all, that said the horticurals have their own way to pronounce plants name and use pressure
Heuchere is in Latin heu-che-ra but horticural it is HEU-che-ra here, no K sound in both and ... che could be a short form of your female "she" - it is pronounced the same way.
Here we tend to give even strange Polish names a Latin touch.. sometimes it sounds a bit funny.
Ch is mostly like yours and C is mostly like a K

Confused... just like the rest of us :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

Interesting answers. And more interesting questions.So, I think that anyone who speaks German would agree that in order to pronounce the "ch" in "Heuchera" you open your mouth wide with teeth apart and exhale.
thy

Post by thy »

:lol: Exactly :lol:
Forget the German for now

Brittish English is a mix of several old sorts of languages: Latin, Nordic(Danish), German and the locals
Your lousy gramma you have from the Vikings... just a few rules with a lot of ecepts... driving the others crazy :wink:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Don't forget the French addition to English, Pia. :wink:

I've been reading a series of fictional historical books called The Saxon Tales
so I have a much better understanding of you darned Danes invading England now. :wink:
[Bernard Cornwall is the author - "The Last Kingdom" is the 1st book in the series.]
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy

Post by thy »

UPS Sorry, you are right and the French (Normanic to talk old time) invation in UK is very important to Brittish history

Those books are great, lent them by my son.. you can say they are a bit autentic about a battle :x No fairy tail stories there.
Cute Danes.. don't you think :lol:
We may have learned the brittish to conquire :D
Our first written history is Saxo, we know it is not true, but do not know the truth.
a
An other not all true but fun way to learn about that periode is in Hal Fosters comic strips Prince Valiant. Lots of Danes have become good grades in history thanks to him :wink:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Not having been there [nor wanting to be] I'd say his battle scenes are probably as accurate as any you'll find.
No sugar coating of 'history' at all. I'm a big fan of both of the Ragnars!! And Uhtred of course. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy

Post by thy »

You better have to come here for one or more for the Viking scenarios ..
Please bring me.. I have never been to one

Middle ages, yes, but Viking no :( and some of them are going on from I was a child)

He is exelent in the feeling of beeing in the front wall....
And as you said, you have feling on both sides.

There are lots of great books out there about the peiode, do not know the English names, but ask for Jan Guiillois ( rather new and a bit later) or Eric the Red (exploring the US).. or go the hard way,, the Island sagaes, they are exelent and very special
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Pia.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply