Trip to Longwood Gardens late July 2010

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Trip to Longwood Gardens late July 2010

Post by redcrx »

At the end of July my wife and I took two of our great-nieces to Longwood Gardens. On the far side of the garden past the conservatory they have a lot of hosta.
Attachments
IMGA0578.JPG
IMGA0579.JPG
IMGA0580.JPG
IMGA0613.JPG
IMGA0543.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: Trip to Longwood Gardens late July 2010

Post by redcrx »

Some more shots.
Attachments
IMGA0581.JPG
IMGA0582.JPG
IMGA0583.JPG
IMGA0620.JPG
IMGA0551.JPG
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Some more shots - Ginko Craig.
Attachments
IMGA0621.JPG
IMGA0623.JPG
IMGA0632.JPG
IMGA0521.JPG
IMGA0554.JPG
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Last bunch.
Attachments
IMGA0640.JPG
IMGA0641.JPG
IMGA0644.JPG
IMGA0639.JPG
IMGA0575.JPG
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks Ed. These are great! I'd love to go myself one day, but these pics will do until I can get there.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Ed, thanks for the shots of Longwood, I have meant to get there for some time now. Have you visited Chanticleer? Not sure exactly how far it is from Longwood.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Yes, I have been to Chanticleer a few times. They have larger massed hosta displays. I'll check if I have pictures that I haven't posted.

From where I live in New Jersey it's pretty easy to get to a lot of the gardens in the area - about an hour.

On the trip the Longwood this summer we stopped at Winterthur for lunch - since you can eat in the visitors center and not go on the garden. They have an interesting menu.

Finally got to Nemours Mansion and Gardens on New Years eve day. I have been trying to get there for decades but could never work it out - can't take children and I normally have kids with me, you need reservations, they close for the winter (Jan to May), they were under renovations for the last 3 years ($38 million). The garden part was closed because of the snow that hit after after Christmas. I'll try to get out there next June.
Last edited by redcrx on Jan 06, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I think it would be a hassle to get to Chanticleer from Longwood. Traffic is a mess on that route. For me in south Jersey - Chanticleer is just off the Blue Route (476) off of 95 taking either the Walt Whitman or Commadore Barry bridges. To get to Longwood I take 95 south into Delaware and take Delaware Ave (route 52) west to route 1 and Longwood is just south of there. This route goes right by Winterthur. And you would go right by Nemours on 95 (off of route 202).

But there is no good route between the two. Either route 30 or route 1 which kind-of run between them are bad traffic wise.

Just thinking about that - a day trip could be Chanticleer and then back north on the Blue Route to the Morris Arboretum - another nice garden in the area. I was just out there in mid-November. Most of the hosta were gone by then.

Then a different day trip could be Winterthur and then Longwood. Your would get a lot of exercise.

Some shots from Chanticleer in 2008. I didn't get the real massed plantings because my camera isn't that good in low light.
Attachments
IMGA0122.JPG
IMGA0124.JPG
IMGA0112.JPG
IMGA0135.JPG
IMGA0117.JPG
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Thanks so much Ed. Very good info, pix and directions on the different gardens. Sounds like Chanticleer might be the larger of the gardens. I remember years ago ordering plants from Winterthur before they closed up their online sales. I have never heard of Nemours, $38 million sounds like an impressive renovation!
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Chanticleer is one of the smaller ones - 35 acres compared to Longwood Gardens or Winterthur.

Found this on-line (edit: update 11/2015):
http://www.americasgardencapital.org/

The last one Wyck is tiny but kind-of down the street from the Morris Arboretum. On Germantown Ave heading toward Philadelphia from the Morris Arboretum. But Germantown Ave is a slow drive. I was there once - real old grape vine, bee hive, bush with huge thorns.
IMGA0680.JPG
IMGA0683.JPG
IMGA0671.JPG
I'll put together a new topic for the Morris Arboretum. It's the middle of winter what else is there to do.

ps. There is an old garden called Gibraltar that's not on the list because they have been trying to restore it for years. It's in WIlmington on route 52 right at the University. You go right past it heading for Longwood or Winterthur.
http://preservationde.org/about-pdi/gibraltar/
IMGA0867.JPG
IMGA0865.JPG
I was there in 2006 and got a bunch of shots. They used to have a real web site but that's gone now.
I could do a layout of that one also if you have an interest - no hosta though.
Video may not run - http://iis.camden.rutgers.edu/mchugh/tr ... 2006PS.wmv
New Topic Post Reply