Popular groundcovers around Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Popular groundcovers around Hostas

Post by Schattenfreude »

Happy New Year, folks!

With all the cold and snow, you can't help but long for March and April... I was wondering what groundcovers work well with hostas. I've tried Lamium, but it always seems to die out, as does Sweet Woodruff (Galium). Vinca seems to grow well for me, but I don't have it near any hostas. Would it smother/kill a hosta? I've also tried several Ajugas, but most didn't return in the spring. I'd really love to find one with purple leaves, if possible. Any suggestions? I live in zone 5b, btw...

Thanks for the advice!
Kevin
Attachments
No hosta pic, but at least it's green :-)  From a friend's rose garden last summer.  I believe that's a climber called Lady Sylvia.
No hosta pic, but at least it's green :-) From a friend's rose garden last summer. I believe that's a climber called Lady Sylvia.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Popular groundcovers around Hostas

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kevin,

Personally I've had really good luck with Lamium in the dry garden and sweet woodruff does a lot better in the wet garden, however when they are happy, both need regular trimming/shaping to keep them in check.

I've also used vinca in a few spaces and really like that in the right spot (again, a little dry), and starting last season I'm trying out wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) to see how it does. So far it has been very attractive.

Then in some spots here I use a few different Carex, like Silver Scepter and Evergold, and enjoy the ones that stay a little more contained and compact as filler between hostas.

In moist areas Astilbe 'Pumila' makes a really nice groundcover with hostas too.

And I've also used clumps of dwarf lilies in the transition areas.

Of course, smaller, vigorous hostas also work as groundcovers, and in my mixed gardens the plants are so thick that I don't really have to worry about covering the bare spots :D
MixedGarden.jpg

Hopefully that gives you a few plants to think about.
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Thanks for the quick response, Chris.

So the vinca won't hurt/bother my hostas?

I forgot to mention how well my Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' (Creeping Jenny, I think it's called) grows, but then again, it's not in my more shaded areas with the hostas. I'm thinking of digging up a few clumps of it and planting some June hostas in the holes. Then I can spread the Creeping Jenny around to a few other places.

I also like the Astilbe 'Pumila', as it works well as a moisture barometer in the garden. But again, it never really seems to spread much. Could it be the mulch I apply is too thick? Or did I simply let it get too dry? My sister grew it at her old house with full morning sun and it went nuts, so maybe mine isn't getting enough sun.

I tried Wintergreen years ago, but I think the summer heat got to it and killed it. What's a good small hosta that's stoloniferous? Are there any yellow/lime colored varieties?
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

Last year was the third year that I've been using Golden Creeping Jenny (lysimachia 'Aurea' I think). The chartreuse color really brings out the color of the hostas.

I don't use it around my hostas, but I use it around the step stones in my hosta garden. You can see in the middle of the pic, it's filled in around the stones almost completely... that's 3 years of growth. The stuff toward the bottom of the pic is only about 1 year of growth from small 4" pots.

It won't hurt the hostas, I just choose to use it to define the walk ways. It spreads by runners and will root where a stem touches the ground. If you want to keep it contained, just give it a yank when it' starts going into areas you don't want it. I'll do this every few weeks or so. You should be careful to keep it out of your lawn as it's not easily controlled in the lawn.

It likes wetter conditions, but it does just fine, once established, on the same watering routine as the hostas. It will take light foot traffic. I'm not really careful where I step, so you can see it's doing just fine around these steppers. In fact, I think the foot traffic helps to push stems to the ground so they'll root. This spring, I plan to take divide some of them to use to fill in around the nekkid areas of the walkway. As you can see, it establishes fairly quickly.

Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Wow Melissa, what a pretty setting you have there!

I agree, Creeping Jenny makes a good ground cover. And yes, it will go crazy if you give it a chance, but it can be yanked out fairly easily. Like Melissa says, it can easily be pulled out of one area and plopped down in another, it transplants easily. The bright golden color is also a nice contrast to the blue and green hostas.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

I use Oxalis Triangularis (Purple Shamrock) around some of my hostas in my zone 6b garden, don't kow if it would be hardy in zone 5. I also use hosta Kabitan as ground cover under under big hostas. Other ground covers I use are small creeing veronicas in both green and yellow, Saxifraga sarmentosa, and heucheras.
SWMOgardens
USDA Zone: 6

Post by SWMOgardens »

I use Vinca all over my SWMO, zone 6 garden. It grows fast, and chokes out weeds. Midsize hosta, say Halcyon or bigger, do fine. Smaller hostas get over-run. I really like it.
God walked with man in Eden's shade,
Christ sought a garden when He prayed.
New Topic Post Reply