Eyes!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Eyes!

Post by Ginger »

I have eyes on several of my Hosta :beer: Empress WU is really coming up strong. I think I counted about 6 big eyes this year! Can't wait to see the rest of them. I am worried I may have lost a few due to the extreme cold and snow/ice this winter....

Spring is here :beer: :beer:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Eyes!

Post by Chris_W »

That's great to hear :D Yup, spring won't be too far off here either.

I wouldn't worry about the extreme cold/snow/ice unless some were in pots. In the ground they are perfectly resilient to winter :)
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Chris, you have forgotten..... ALL my hosta are in pots :eek:

Ginger
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, I thought about that after I posted. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, but glad some are fine. Be careful not to water too early as this is the time that can do more rot damage.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Will do. I have not watered yet, we actually got a bit of rain last night though. I am soooo ready for spring... but I will be bitchin about the heat by July :lol:

Ginger
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

I can't wait to see eyes around here. But I'm glad that they're taking their time. I'm learning to be patient where my hostas are concerned (well, I'm trying to learn; not going to claim that I'm succeeding) because I'd much rather wait for them to show up than have to haul out the sheets to cover the unfurling hostas when there's a late frost. :D
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Eyes :o

Good thing you are in Kansas. Nothing around here and it is good, very good, back to frost at night time

I know you had a hard winther this year, but how cold it was ? I have no idea of it

last winther I had around minus 15 C and as normal had too many hostas in small pots just out in the open, did not loose any at all and we got the frost first, then after a week or more the snow came.

This winther have been the same, exept for a week of heat and heavy rain in start of February then back to hard frost and then some snow. I know i have lost Rhino Hide becaurse I brought it in for an early start and nothing showed up in the pot. After a couple og weeks <<i pooked around in the pot and there were nothing at all.
It was a typical hosta to loose for me. Got it very late and it was way to small one leaf win the hight of my hand all in all and one very tiny. poor roots. It was starting to go down for the season when i got it other wise I would have kept it inside the house. I have never tried to over winther a hosta in the house but several have mentioned it is possible.

Good luck with yours :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Hi Pia, actually I am in Oklahoma which is the state just below (south of) Kansas. We had a huge snow storm with about 3 feet of snow, then had some below zeroF with highs only in the teens for several days. We do get cold, but it does not usually last more than a day or morning.

It got down to 27F night before last, but I don't think it hurt any of them.

Ginger
impatience

Post by impatience »

Hey Ginger! I have eyes showing too. I turned the pots on their sides during the snow so the hosta wouldn't rot but yesterday I discovered that the eyes and they were growing up :eek: as in sideways when I set the pots up (yes I have been less than diligent about my backyard. Have you had this happen? Do you think they will right themselves as they continue to grow? :-? Some of the eyes were up several inches!

Thanks, Sandee
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

No I have not had that happen, but I don't turn my pots on their sides either.

Ginger
thy

Post by thy »

They will be okay, just turn the pot to normal.
Kent mentioned a while back, that he topped up his hostas with handsfull of snow, it gave some needed moisture when the temps got warmer.
But then I do not know in your area.

Yes Alaska and Greenland can have their winthers and keep them up north :evil: I do not want them, - but they claim it is a clima changing thing... warm winther North Pole and colder in the more southern areas :(
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Sam helped me clean all the old leaves and partially eaten nuts (Thank you squirells!) from all my pots last night, and I was amazed how big some of the eyes were! Sagae has some huge ones :o It looks like they all made it through the winter just fine, eyes in every pot!
I did have one pot that appears to have lost half its dirt though :hmm: I will lift it this weekend if I get the chance.

Ginger
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

Got me thinking. Maybe I should go look this weekend! I saw something sprouting a bit, some other shade stuff coming up. I'm so tempted to rake off the leaves. I always do it early leaving the piles next to the beds in case of a real cold night, then I can just plop them back on. It's been so sunny here today, and I think all but the deepest piles of snow are finally gone!

We too had a bad winter. Lots of below zero nights, lots of days with highs in the teens. Tons of wind and snow. It was rough! People are getting spring fever bad! :lol:
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

We had a smattering of snow yesterday! NOt enough to stick, tho'. I believe we have had more than normal rain, this weather year so far. Karma can maybe give you better dope on that tho'. My daughter Nona hates the rain and to her we have had a flood. Normally the rain doesn't bother me, but my bones don't like it. Right now the sun is out, for however long , so I will enjoy it while it is here. :)
Lovin' the great northwest!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Yep Ro, more than average in the rain gage. I have more then eye here up about 6 inches!! I'm going to go away now before those deep in snow start
throwing snowballs my way.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Ginger - isn;t it a great sign? I have a ton of eyes up and showing too... and tipped all the pots a few weeks ago when it was thawing. Seems like spring is going to be early here after all.... that stupid groundhog seems to know his stuff!

Happy spring all!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Happy Spring! I have lots of eyes here in So. Virginia as well. All my hostas are also currently in pots, but not much longer, new big raised bed that was started last year is finally getting finished.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

They are growing like crazy! I have three or four that are completley unfurled, one being Sagae and the other Fire Island. They look beautiful together! I will have to get a picture, they yellows are just glowing... this is my favorite time for Hosta :beer:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I am with you Ginger, the sight of the hostas shooting and unfurling are my official sign of spring!
thy

Post by thy »

Unfurled hostas :eek: :D :D :D

Sound great to me, but glad it is not around my garden.. frosts in the forecast for the weekend
New Topic Post Reply