What new hosta for last year, is now a favorite?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

felco2
USDA Zone: 6

What new hosta for last year, is now a favorite?

Post by felco2 »

Hi All,

I have been looking through my photos all winter. I'm sure you have too. What was your favorite of your new hostas? My new Cathedral Windows looked fabulous all season last year. No long wait on this one. Will my Liberty ever take my breath away? I planted Cathedral Windows in the fall of 2009 during Labor Day weekend. The fall planting payed off. The first pic is in the spring of 2010, then a summer pic, one with Liberty in it, and the last one is fall Sept 14th. Another reason I love Cathedral Windows, it looked great in the fall when others start to look ratty.
Attachments
Spring pic
Spring pic
Summer pic
Summer pic
Cathedral Windows and Liberty
Cathedral Windows and Liberty
Sept 14th shot of Cathedral W.
Sept 14th shot of Cathedral W.
Felco2
The best views of the garden come from working on one's knees. The pause from working when you can drink it all in.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: What new hosta for last year, is now a favorite?

Post by Chris_W »

Your Cathedral Windows is beautiful!

About Liberty, give it years. My oldest one is finally making itself noticed. I planted it in 2005 and at the time it was a 3 year old. I don't think anyone took notice of it at least until 2009. Now it is a showstopper. :)
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Gorgeous 'Cathedral Windows!' I may have to add that one to my must-have list this year.

My favorite newbies planted last year were 'Maui Buttercups,' 'Rainforest Sunrise,' and 'Tropical Storm' (which isn't in this picture because I hadn't planted it yet.) I don't know how they'll fare or how quickly they'll grow this year, but last year they took off and looked good all season. I planted them as a trio, since they're all related. They look good together. :)

Does 'Tropical Storm' look like it's sporting to you? I'm going to have to see what it's up to this year.

~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi Karen,

Your 'Rainforest Sunrise' does like it may be sporting to a wide-margined plant. Boy, that would be striking!!!

Honestly, your sport could be the best out of all them. :wink:
Be part of the solution
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Color Festival. Wintered over in a pot and showing 7 eyes this year - only 1 last year :eek: . Interested to see what size the divisions are this year with that many new eyes.

Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

Felco,

Thanks for showing your pictures through the season. You have 'Cathedral Windows' in great condition. :cool:
Be part of the solution
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Velevt Moon became a favorite of mine through last season and held its colors into late fall - I sent a lot of pictures to the forum.
Attachments
Velvet Moon (left) & Gemini Moon  6/10/2010
Velvet Moon (left) & Gemini Moon 6/10/2010
Last edited by redcrx on Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

My favorite hosta from 2010--Journey's End. http://twitpic.com/4h12hi
felco2

Post by felco2 »

Do the leaves of Velvet Moon have a heavy texture? Did the chartreuse color change to gold later on? This is fun, thanks for sharing. I had not heard of Velvet Moon.
Felco2
The best views of the garden come from working on one's knees. The pause from working when you can drink it all in.
felco2

Post by felco2 »

Just checked out Journey's End. Your photo showed some amazing ruffled edges. The hosta catalogs describe Journey's End as yellow leaves with a dark green margin. Does your Journey's End become more golden? I also love the color chartreuse and like subtle variegation.
Felco2
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

felco2 wrote:Just checked out Journey's End. Your photo showed some amazing ruffled edges. The hosta catalogs describe Journey's End as yellow leaves with a dark green margin. Does your Journey's End become more golden? I also love the color chartreuse and like subtle variegation.

It is more light green when it first comes up, the variegation shows up after it is up for a while, and in the light shade where it is, it doesn't get really golden. I love the subtlety, it's a very elegant hosta. That picture was in May of last year. It's one of my very favorites. If I ever have to move gardens, this is the first one that comes with me. (not that I ever plan to, lol!)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

The Velvet Moon photo in the earlier post is dated 6/10/2010. I'm adding a couple of late photos.
I forget what the leaf texture is like but they hold up well. This plant looked great late into fall.
Since you are also discussing Jouney's End, I added a couple "before and after" shots - it is a great performer in my garden and one of the first I ever got Chris.
Attachments
Velvet Moon  10/1/2010
Velvet Moon 10/1/2010
Velvet Moon  11/7/2010
Velvet Moon 11/7/2010
Jouney's End  5/31/2010
Jouney's End 5/31/2010
Jouney's End  9/20/2010
Jouney's End 9/20/2010
Last edited by redcrx on Apr 05, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

H. 'Journeys End'
Attachments
5 12x4 14 1oo pix.jpg
Be part of the solution
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

H. 'Rhino Hide' is living up to it's promises. Seems to be a darn nice plant at an early age. I have nicknamed it the "shoe Leather" hosta. It has a lot of white bloom on the backside. It also helps the front appear even bluer.

Take a look at the vein structure. The veins don't run completely parellel to the end of the leaf tip. Just thought it was a bit different in structure compared to others.

Congrats Don R. on a "garden worthy" introduction :cool: !

This picture was taken 4/05/11-Second year to third year plant

In the picture, it appears someone has been fondling the leaves again...I wonder who that could be...
Attachments
'.jpg
Be part of the solution
thy

Post by thy »

:bawl: Mine did not survive the winther- it was too small and the roots were toofew and short, may have worked in our normal winthers, but not this cold ones and it was starting to fade when I got it.. so had to take the chance.... will find a new one :wink:

Can I cheate a bit.. it was planted late 2009. but-- Mount Tom is a large showstopper, it easily fits the ten foot rule ..due to its size make it a 20 foot rule.. rest from last year... do not know.. h. Yin was lovely and lasted a long time into the fall... rest, I have to see them again before I can answer your question...
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

It's funny when I think about my garden and think that I don't have any with a "pie-crust" edge and then I look at Journey's End and find out that I do. (Or is that considered "pie-crust" - is there a certain count to the waves on the leaf edge to determine the difference between ruffled and pie-crust?) But they must have them around somewhere because I have an odd seedling.
Attachments
seedling rippled 10 0665.JPG
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I like Mount Tom also. Bought a tiny plant at Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach SC in 2008. (It's a beautiful and HUGE garden with sculptures, zoo, water tour and other things - your ticket is good for a week because you can't see it all in one day - might be best in April when the azalea are in flower.) When I thought I lost it because it was so small I went and bought another one. The following year both were back. This picture is from last season.
Mount Tom  7/1/2010
Mount Tom 7/1/2010
The one from Brookgreen Garden is on the left. Also in the picture is Fortunei Albopicta in front starting to flower. Twilight is in back with real messy leaves - I don't know what happened but they looked ugly all season - maybe it got stepped on. Fortunei Aurea on the right edge with seed pods.
Last edited by redcrx on Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. Rock

Post by R. Rock »

I actually dropped the ball on some really nice "Mount Tom's' I had. Sieboldiana type that hate wet winters, especially in a container :oops: .

'Jouneys End' shows the piecrust pretty good at 5 years. It would look extremely nice next to H. 'Choo Choo Train' and H. 'American Icon'. Pod production from these is really good. However, the seeds are rarely plump or viable.

I find similar seedlings like that around and from H. 'Ginko Craig'. I wish they would stay nice and wavy like that.
Be part of the solution
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I am really liking how good Dragon Fire is looking this spring. It's my second year in a pot and it has put on a lot of size.

Laura
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I'll let you know if mine ever come out of the ground!

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply