@€%$€{$#£ Frost

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

@€%$€{$#£ Frost

Post by thy »

Average of the month of April was 50 F = 9,9 C. Normal is 42 F or 5, 6 C.everything jumped outfrom the ground. plants and weeds.
I got my new hostas 2 weeks ago, didn't dare to put them in the soil, so gave them 2 weeks to aclimate to my garden in the car port. Then Saturday they were planted out in the beds.
Sunday May the 1. it cooled down, but the forecast was not too bad, not for Monday either, a little rist for a bit of frost in the central part, no worry in the costal areas.
Bummer, my new hostas got frost, the nice yellow ones lay flat on the soil :evil: some of the o´ter ones have burnings too and some became very blue during the night older ones have problems too, but I do not know how many :evil: Just soo sad.
Never had frosts after April 15. before for 30 years of gardening.
It just feels like everything are a probllem here in the new house and area.
The chickweed and other ugly sorts of weeds are driving me crazy, the soil is poor even truck loads of compost and mushrom compost. My Warpaint was a big lovely hosta before, this out to be the 3. year in the new garden and it is still down to 2 ½ eye ( one is very tiny :lol: )
Some neightbourgs hate me due to the fence- and it is not solved yet after nearly 2 years. Plants grow legs, my car was flat on 2 tires and an other time the numberplates was gone.
:roll: Can a house and a garden hate you :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
largosmom

Re: @€%$€{$#£ Frost

Post by largosmom »

So sorry to hear that Mother Nature is treating your hostas badly with her frosty breath.

I hope the hostas recover after a few weeks.

Laura
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Pia...that is so sad. I had a big frost here this morning, but it looks like the hostas may be okay.
You have a big challenege there with your soil, but you can fix that. I would send you a big load of
my beautiful soil if I could!
Chickweed is a horrid problem here in my garden too. I've been fighting a losing battle with it in
some beds. My husband took me out to the field yesterday to look at his new seeding of alfalfa.
He said there was a weed all over it and he didn't know what it was. It's chickweed...acres of it.
He is really afraid that it will smother out the alfalfa and he will have no hay off that field.
IT's been so cold that the alfalfa is not really sprouting yet, but the chickweed just loves the cold,
rainy yukky weather we've been having. I hate that darn weed!!!

I think your neighbors need to find someone else to be angry with and leave you alone!
We have an expression here; "Get a life!" They really need to work on that!!!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

Sorry about your troubles, Pia... both Mother Nature and two-legged kind.

We averaged something like 20 degrees below normal all April, so having freezing and near freezing temps at night here is not over. I planned an early outing in the garden this morning (spraying Liquid Fence over the whole property - did 13 gallons yesterday, still only about 2/3 done...) but at 7:30 the thermometer read 35 degrees, sending me back to bed.

Chickweed! I had to look it up to see for sure - yup, that's what I'm fighting in some of my beds, too. Neverending... seems to pop up and set seed in about 10 minutes!

so sorry about your human varmints...
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I am sorry Pia! We had frost in OK yesterday morning, but I am on a hill so I escaped thank goodness!

Get a medicine man out to bless your house! They do carry bad spirits from previous owners I believe!

Chickweed, yep I have it every where too :evil: The only good thing about chickweed is it is easy to pull :wink:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

So sorry, Pia! :(

We had frost here this morning, but fortunately none of my hostas are unfurling. I do see that some clumsy person appears to have stepped off the sidewalk and right onto 'Orange Marmalade,' though--it's coming up looking all mooshed. I expect to see torn leaves once it unfurls. I hope it does okay. From what I hear, it's not a great grower to begin with.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

No frost for us for the last few days. Hopefully it is over. And we have had SUNSHINE!! NIce to see after this last winter. Got out in my trees where my shade garden is yesterday and this morning. Jeez, its a mess! I am anal about tags and 'maps' and such and while I had two people helping plant things, they just weren't as fussy as I am.So now I have to check my 'maps' to see if I can figure which is what out there and also some tags were knocked over and moved, so I have that to figure out. And it is hard to get around, the ground is so uneven out there and I have to use either my walker or my canes.But things are coming up all over the place, so I am happy about that, and I am determined to get out there, I just have to be careful. Of course I am about 4 ft. 9 or 10 inches so I don't have far to fall and it is pretty soft out there. :lol: But I was so jazzed just to get out there and see stuff coming up! I had forgotten some things out there. So now for the brainwork trying to see if I can get organized again.
Lovin' the great northwest!
thy

Post by thy »

Thanks Linda, I would love some of your soil :D
Jim... Please come and bring your chainsaw... I need a good wach dog..and I will feed it well with tre(a)ts or bones if it works in the garden too :wink:
Ginger :lol: Honestly... a few nights ago I was so very piss** (darn, you need to teach me where and how many * to do ), so after some glasses of red, I asked (in my head), if there were someone who was against, what I was doing and if... Theý had to step foreward and tell me face to face :evil:
.... Nothing happened... and the house is from 1974 :lol:
chickweed is it is easy to pull
:hmm: You'r invited.. if not up early it become a thick carpet,, more or less impossible to weed´... and early in the season.. ýou get most of the top, but not all and not ther root :(
Rosemarie, wish some of us lived closer to your place. I know it is difficult when you can't do the things you want to do, but please, take care of the worst and enjoy the beauty :D
... we can't always be perfect :wink:
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Thank you, Pia! You are right,that is what I should do and there is alot of beauty around here, like the 2 pairs of Canadian geese that are bringing their babies into our little pond to swim, and the Osprey that hovers over our place. But i just have to teach myself to not be so fussy! And THAT AIN'T EASY! :lol: And I love your cuss(swear) words, Pia!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sure wish I lived closer to you Pia, (and Rosemarie too). Would love to come over and help in the gardens, and then share a bottle of red too ;)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'll come to the wine and weeds party, too, and I'll bring along a bottle of Eiswein......

Don't you wish we could all just go back and forth and help one another out?
Ro..I'd love to be able to help you in the garden, but since I can't, please just
be sure you don't fall! Pia has good advice for you! Wow..you have an Osprey
you can watch? We had a pair here briefly in the fall, the year my dad died. I
have always wondered if he sent them for me to watch. He was a lifelong
birdwatcher, and we were always looking for them. We're only a few miles
from the river, and we would see them there now and again in the last few years.

Jim, I'm glad you did the sensible thing and went back to bed til Mother Nature
comes to her senses. We had a wonderful day here, following the widespread
frost. No damage to the hostas that I can see yet ,so hopefully my hilltop
location did the trick once again.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Pia, can I use some of your cuss words? I had a whole paragraph typed and it disappeared! Obviously I did some thing stupid!!! So I will try again. We have a pair of Osprey too, they come in in the Spring and nest somewhere around us and the Bald Eagles come thru', they nest on the Columbia River which is about 60 miles North of us give or take a mile or so. They are awesome to see. The County used to raise Salmon behind us and there are 5 ponds on our East side. And Lew's cousin lives up the road and he lives on a lake which is about 300 feet fron us. We have a creek that runs along our south side turns the corner and runs along the west side so we are sort of surrounded by water. We have some pretty cool critters around us. Awhile back we saw 2 little River Otters in our pond. We see Heron an occassional Egret, all kinds of birds The Salmon Ponds have been turned into a park called the Aumsville Ponds(?) and rhey built the kids a great skateboard park. So for a little "burg" we are pretty lucky. So if anyone is out our way, come see us. Lew and I were city kids growing up, but we loved it here in the boondocks and I still do. NOw I will send our Chamber of Commerce a bill for that travelogue :lol:
thy

Post by thy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: You can use all the words you want...and if you loose them, just tell me - I have plenty :lol:

WOW your area sounds beautiful :D

Chris... I would love it.. even with out working the gardden- just pleasure :D

Yes.. Beam me up... wish it was not only in a movie :wink:
New Topic Post Reply