New garden

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

New garden

Post by redcrx »

Two winters ago we got hit with 4 huge snow storms. The third was the worse - 6 inches of snow then 8 hours of rain and finally another 6 inches of snow. I had a large cedar tree in the middle of my front yard that toppled over after that storm. I started planning what to do with the spot. I wanted azaleas in the middle and hosta on the edges. Last year I only had one plant there - an encore azalea Moonlight. I ordered some things from Chris - Red October (for late flowers), Kinbuchi Tachi (for height and dark flowers), and Tokudama Aureonebulosa (for early flowers and bright leaves). I have been working on the area all week and finally got the bulk of the hosta in.

The chair is to shade a Velvet Moon for a couple of days.
Some other hosta plants there are Dick Ward and Lakeside Ninita.
Also a "large" encore azalea Sundance is on the right.
IMGA0208.JPG
Azalea Conversation Piece (not Encore but is supposed to multi-flower) added to the right.
IMGA0209.JPG
3 Tokudama Aureonebulosa and 2 Kinbuchi Tachi were added to the right.
IMGA0215.JPG
Pistache and Spilt Milk were added to the front.
IMGA0218.JPG
A close-up shot.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa, SILVER STAR, and 2 Kinbuchi Tachi
Tokudama Aureonebulosa, SILVER STAR, and 2 Kinbuchi Tachi
Last edited by redcrx on Nov 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Linda P

Re: New garden

Post by Linda P »

Let no bare spot go unplanted! Love the chair for shade!!!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Ed, looking at your shots it occurs to me...I should've planted my bed a lot closer together. I could've fit in a lot more hostas! But I went conservative, trying to give them enough room.

I like your newly-planteds. :)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My back garden has a lot more space between plants. But in here there will be some smaller things between the larger ones - more Lakeside Ninita and I may take one of my Lemon Frost apart and put the pieces between. This should give me more flowers and multiple times. My Lemon Frost seem to be in flower all season going into October (I tracked flowering times last season and was surprised that LF was the last one flowering). Lakeside Ninita is listed as doing something similar but these are new to me so I to see how they perform.

Just added Delta Dawn Supreme (something new) and a couple of fragments of Striptease - I was clearing my green sports this morning (which is a topic in itself) and ended with a bunch of small Striptease pieces and a few big ones along with the green stuff.
Last edited by redcrx on Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
thy

Post by thy »

You lost a tree.... don't you just need a small one :-?
Hostas are very nice and so are azaleas
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I wanted a different look in that area. That tree was blocking sunlight getting to a 20 year old white Crape Myrtle that still looks like a twig compared to the huge ones (pink and purple) next to it that get sun. It was also causing a Magnolia to be distorted as it tries to get sun.
I wanted more Encore Azaleas for color in spring and fall.
There is also a small red Crype Myrtle between the right side azaleas which you can't see in the photo.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

An update on this spot taken from different positions.
Roughly from the front:
scene front lawn 13 06724zbz18.jpg
From the side:
scene front lawn 13 06725zbz19.jpg
From the back-side or nearest my house:
scene front lawn 13 06726zbz18.jpg
thy

Post by thy »

Nice :D

Looking like a nice stream or tongue of hostas grrowing out into the lawn :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is this garden today.

Some in there are Yakushima Mizu (dark green very wavy edge - bottom a little right) with Moon Shadow to its right. Red October left edge with Lakeside Ninita to its right and Americana. Lakeside Knickknack bottom left and top right. Some others - Lemon Frost, Neat Splash, Louisa (tiny), Lemon Fizz, Saishu Jima (center), Little Jim, Chartreuse Wiggles (tiny).
small types - May 13, 2014
small types - May 13, 2014
Left to right - Grand Marquee & First Frost & Lakeside Ninita. With, in front, lemon Frost, Louisa, Lemon Lime.
Grand Marquee & First Frost & Lakeside Ninita - May 13, 2014
Grand Marquee & First Frost & Lakeside Ninita - May 13, 2014
Left to right - Kinboki Tachi & Delta Dawn Supreme & Striptease. The dark green hunk is coming from an Americana that is being covered by it.
Kinboki Tachi & Delta Dawn Supreme & Striptease - May 13, 2014
Kinboki Tachi & Delta Dawn Supreme & Striptease - May 13, 2014
SILVER STAR & 2 Kinboki Tachi
SILVER STAR & Kinboki Tachi - May 13, 2014
SILVER STAR & Kinboki Tachi - May 13, 2014
3 Tokudama Aureonebulosa with Lemon Frost and Lakeside Ninita.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa - May 13, 2014
Tokudama Aureonebulosa - May 13, 2014
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Continuing around the garden:

Most of the edge has Lemon Frost and Lakeside Ninita.
Liberty & Dick Ward & Regal Supreme & unknown
Liberty & Dick Ward & Regal Supreme & unknown
Dick Ward
Dick Ward
Royal Flush
Royal Flush
The Red October seems out-of-control here.
Lakeside Miss Muffett & Fujibotan & Red October & Sugar Babe & all green Lakeside Knickknack
Lakeside Miss Muffett & Fujibotan & Red October & Sugar Babe & all green Lakeside Knickknack
Deliverance & Lacy Belle & Lakeside Miss Muffett
Deliverance & Lacy Belle & Lakeside Miss Muffett
Most of the azaleas in here were set back by the harsh winter and are slowly coming back.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is a full photo today. That is a yellow Exbury Azalea in the background. And the Azalea on the left is called Opal (it flowers spring and fall). The poles hold up some netting to keep the rabbits out - it helps somewhat but I still have to chase them.
lawn garden - May 15, 2014
lawn garden - May 15, 2014
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

The garden after 5 years:
Liberty up-front with lots of azaleas in flower.
front lawn garden - May 22, 2015
Tokudama Aureonebulosa and SILVER STAR and Kinbuchi Tachi.
Royal Flush and Dick Ward.
plantnutz1

Post by plantnutz1 »

Looks lovely. When you finish yours, you can come dig in mine.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

You know you are never done. I just ordered a bunch from Chris to start filling from the vole damage. That's going to take a few seasons. I could take some from my toughs but they look so nice the way they are. And then I have to get to up-potting my seedlings. Always something.
plantnutz1

Post by plantnutz1 »

So, so true Ed! I retired last July and thought I could get everything in order. Having some health problems that are slowing me down though. It is never done and sometimes I just get overwhelmed and go inside and read a book, lol!

Brenda
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

The Lakeside Knickknacks are in full flower and the Tiger Lilies are starting to open so I thought I would bring this topic up.
Front lawn garden - July 5, 2016
There is a small cluster around my mailbox that I cleared up last season. June, First Frost and Fire and Ice have been in there for years. I added some small ones like Lemon Frost and some bigger ones like Lady Isobel Barnett and Red October.
Mail box garden - July 5, 2016
Mail box garden - July 5, 2016
Years ago this space had contained a nice Red Cardinal Flower cross. I lost those but a few seedlings still pop up. Most are just green leaved but once in a while I get a purple leafed one. The Hummingbirds don't care what the leaves look like but I do.
Red Cardinal Flower seedling - July 5, 2016
Red Cardinal Flower seedling - July 5, 2016
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hi, Ed. Are your Lakeside Knickknacks still streaked? I've got a small one: only four divisions, and two are all green.

David
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

All three are different. One is all green, one is well streaked and one has only a few streaks. All three have been the same way for since they went in back around 2012.

All green Lakeside Knickknack:
green Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
green Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
Mostly streaked Lakeside Knickknack:
mostly streaked Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
mostly streaked Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
mostly green Lakeside Knickknack:
mostly green Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
mostly green Lakeside Knickknack - July 6, 2016
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I just realized this topic is labeled "New garden" which is the same title I have been using for my side garden. This should be titled "Front Lawn Garden". I finished cleaning it up yesterday just in time for the party. It has a nasty little white flowers violet (weed) running through it.
Front lawn garden - June 1, 2017
Front lawn garden - June 2, 2017
Front lawn garden - June 2, 2017
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Made some changes (additions) to this garden. There are two Liberty in the front that are not growing. I can see from photos above that back in 2013 they weren't bad. It's hard to find them today. Don't know what the problem is - there is very little tree root problem. Royal Flush, Dick Ward and Yellow River are in the same area and doing fine.

I added three plants further to the front of this space. I was looking for something bright from my pots. I have a Breeders Choice that looks really nice since it has stabilized to American Choice. But I had a lot of white edge things in that area. A Marbled Cream caught my eye. I have a really big one growing in my back garden and this potted one has some size to it so it's going into the front garden. I also thought about putting a small potted Deliverance into that space. It then hit me that I have a Deliverance in there that is being crushed by Lacy Belle - why not move that one. So that came out and was moved. I also grabbed a small pot of Vivacious that has a stable hunk on it. I separated the streaked and the stable portions and put both into the garden.

Here's Lacy Belle. You can barely see a few leaves of Deliverance along the left edge - the yellow edge leaves.
Front Lawn Garden - June 10, 2018
Here is Deliverance delivered from the crushing embrace of Lacy Belle. I didn't realize it was so big.
Here is the new grouping - Vivacious and its stable piece left, Deliverance center, and Marbled Cream right.
Here is a view, stepping back a little, to show the front of the garden. That's Yellow River on the far right with Royal Flush and Dick Ward behind the group.
Here is a view from the left end. That's the Lacy Belle on the left with the grouping on the right and Yellow River is in the top/right corner. In the top/left corner is the "Name" themed garden I put in last season.
New Topic Post Reply