Orange Marmalade - wide margin or thin margin?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Orange Marmalade - wide margin or thin margin?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

After 2 attempts to grow a good Hosta Orange Marmalade I was about ready to give up but then 2 summers ago I got one of those really good deals on a tray of them that I just couldn't pass up, so bit the bullet and tried a 3rd time. This time there were clearly 2 different plants, though. Some plants died over the first winter, but some grew fine and looked just like the last 2 Orange Marmalade plants I'd grown and I've sold those this spring here at the nursery. But now I have about 8 plants that are definitely not true Orange Marmalade, or at least not true to how I knew them... These other plants have distinctly wide margins and when young they even had some waviness to the edges, and these are really strong growing plants. Having seen Orange Marmalade make a lot of people's "best" lists, I have to wonder, do those people have these wider margined plants instead? And then I have to wonder, which plant is correct???? The registration makes no notation as to the width of the margin, but The Hostapedia shows a picture of a thinner margined plant. By the way, the first plants I bought came right from Bob Solberg. The second batch from Q & Z, and the first two all matched (and were really slow for me).

What are your Orange Marmalade like, and how are they growing for you?
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Orange Marmalade - wide margin or thin margin?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi Chris,

Mine was a gift 2 years ago in mid-July and seems to be doing fairly well. This is what it looked like on May 20.
Orange_Marmalade-0520sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jgh

Post by jgh »

Some pics - sorry, they are from my daughter's camera, not quite the quality of some newer ones...

Mine's been in this spot - morning to past midday sun - for "a number of years." (My replies have become much more vague the past couple of years since my Works database corrupted...). I got this early on in the Orange Marmalade days, from Bob, before it got more widespread in the market. I got some a couple of years later that were much weaker plants... don't remember anything about the margins.

so - would this fit in your wider, or narrower, margin category?

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Here is my 4 year old plant.
Orange Marmalade  May 9, 2011
Orange Marmalade May 9, 2011
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

My 'Orange Marmalade' is a real stinker. It barely came up this year, and when it did it looked all distorted and weird. It's right by the sidewalk, though, and I'm pretty sure someone stepped off the walk and onto the hosta at some point, because the torn leaves suggest damage when it was emerging. Mine does have thinner margins, though, which bears out Chris's theory.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Jim's doesn't look as wide margined as the ones I'm holding on to now, but it is wider than most I've seen and is probably closer to the original Orange Marmalade. And Ed's looks like one of the thinner ones. I'm waiting to see one from those who have voted it one of the best or thought it should be a Hosta of the Year. I bet they are wider margined plants...
thy

Post by thy »

Forbidden Fruit is a tetraploid new intro from Marco Fransen :-? New intro this year.

Edges on mine are not thin, not wide, sort of the ones Jim is showing maybe a bit thinner :roll: . They were thin when I first got it but after I moved it they got wider.
This hosta needs even more sun than Great X to grow well :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

If it needs a lot of sun I"ll have to look for a new spot for mine. Thanks for the heads up.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Scuba Dude
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Scuba Dude »

After two duds...third time was a charm for me and mine also has wider edges and still producing wavy edges.

Kent
JennaJ
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JennaJ »

I picked this hosta up in 2009--labeled Orange Marmalade. I thought it may be a sport or mislabeled.
Orange Marmalade 2.jpg
Orange Marmalade Plant.jpg
It came up last year looking more like a normal Orange Marmalade. I had posted this pic on another forum to try to get an ID--everyone thought it was a Golden Meadows. The nursery I purchased it from had a few more that were identical to the one I have--I wonder if it was a weird tc batch?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I got mine in 2007. This photo is from April 2010...not real good but it shows almost the whole plant.
Orange Marmalade (Small).JPG
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Here's one that will make you go "Hmmmmmmmmm" It was an oddball in a batch of Orange Marmalade TCs that was a gift because it didn;t look quite right...... we shall see!

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

We are one of those who have had no trouble with Orange Marmalade. It doesn't go "gang-busters" but it's always been healthy and beautiful with no heroic measures on our part. It gets a little bit of morning sun and dappled shade all day. The only trouble we have is that our Virginia Creeper wants to strangle it!
3rd year - Orange Marmalade
3rd year - Orange Marmalade
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Another photo for comparison; I believe I got this one from Bob Solberg (years ago):
OrangeMarmalade.jpg
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is a quick update on mine. It was planted in 2008 and is still small.
Orange Marmalade - August 23, 2015
(As a side note I found this topic by accident I was looking for Forbidden Fruit and it was mentioned here. There were two other Orange Marmalade topics in the Index but I added my pictures here because I had already posted this hosta in this topic back in 2011.)
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply