Bigger bed (Pic heavy)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Bigger bed (Pic heavy)

Post by ogrefcf »

So decided to make my back bed a bit bigger. Going to give the bigger Hosta's some more room when they grow bigger and give me some space for new ones :D .

Outline of the bed.

Getting the lines dug for the railroad ties.

Ties going in.

Ground dug up and ready for compost.

As I posted in a previous post, several trees used to hang over my fence and shade this area were cut down by my neighbor. So I am going to build two Pergola's for the are and plant some type of climbing plant on them, thinking Clematis. I've watched the shadow of the other trellis I built and it looks like it will shade the area nicely as the sun moves and give em a break from the heat. I am going to use the same design I did for my trellis, but make them 10' long with 5' 2x6 or 2x8 boards on top. So will look kinda like this when done.

I'm hoping to get the trellis done this week, stupid money!
Owen
grdnnkd

Re: Bigger bed (Pic heavy)

Post by grdnnkd »

Looking good! Lots of work but it will be worth it!!!
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
jgh

Post by jgh »

Man... I know I suggested this - but I shoot my mouth off all the time! Amazing the energy you've got to throw yourself into this. Nice job!
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I'm glad you mention it! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I do have a question. I'm sure I will end up moving all the Hostas in the pictures to give them more room. Most were moved or planted about two weeks ago. I was going to wait and move them next year, but I was wondering were I already moved them recently if I shouldn't just put them where I want and be done with it?
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You will love your new bed... hope it is okay with the kids :wink:

Move them now before they send out more roots -getting more difficult to move.. try to keep the roots, a broken root is worth nothing
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey, very nice job! Enjoy seeing the progress in your pics. Please show us the finished job when you're done. Looks like you have plenty of room now for lots more hosta!! :lol:
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Guess I'll be moving then Tuesday. Compost place isn't open tomorrow. Well, got one of the Pergola's Almost done. Didn't place the top boards yet going to look at it tomorrow and space em to where they will work best. Then get it sealed, protected, stained and waterproofed. Also sorry for the bad pics I finished late.

It's a good thing I am getting these up cause some of the Hosta's are starting to feel the sun.

Ive been watering them heavy every other day and have mulch on them, but I think it's to much sun.
Owen
jgh

Post by jgh »

love your work - and I think you've probably got the bug pretty bad!

I, too, would move them now since they are already disrupted from the planting... still plenty of time to get established for next year. Even with the pergolas, wouldn't hurt to use the previously mentioned "lawn chair technique' or some other temporary shading while they are developing some new roots to support the leaves that are already there.

Of course, spacing them correctly you will have some time before they fill out - so you've got an excellent opportunity to put in some smaller ones in front and between all the large plants in the main row... and in your new diagonal corner you can go for some depth with a taller hosta in back, or maybe some companion plantings like Japanese fern and cimicifuga "Hillside Black Beauty" and maybe some martagon lilies and definitely a Goldheart (yellow foliaged) bleeding heart and...

OK, I'll stop now. does it indicate that I belong firmly in the hosta nut category that I'm writing this at 2 AM after adding another 24 railroad ties to our landscaping?! (PS - that brings our total up to about 200 rr ties... and this time I actually drafted some 20-something friends of my daughter to move them for me. It is hard to ask for help, but man those things are hard to maneuver alone!)
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Ya I'm pretty sure I got the bug! I'll make sure to get em covered up more when I move them, thanks for the advice. Would love to see some pictures of the new work. Smart idea with the help on the ties. I get sick of moving em fast. Hoping to have most of it finished up tomorrow. Almost have the last pergola done. Made this one the biggest and we are going to put a hanging swing on it so we can sit under it and enjoy it. Will get the yard of compost tomorrow and get it on the beds and hopefully get my Hosta's moved!
Owen
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

And last one built! Just the staining, protectant, waterproofing part bleh.

This is the one will will put a metal porch sing in. Shade seems to be much better in the area now, still lots of sun. There are some vines right by I am going to train then to grow on it. I will pick up the compost tomorrow and get my Hostas moved and planted. Light at the end of the tunnel!
Owen
poppi

Post by poppi »

Hey...Neat Arbor! Want to come build one at my house? :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

Now we know where the Energizer bunny goes between commercial shoots - you sure have some energy!
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Lol, thanks. I think I am about trellised out. Done building them for a while. Haven't had as much time to work on things. It's the city festival here so been working overtime. More money for hosta's though! Got the hols dug. Made em about three feet wide and a bit over a foot deep. Filled them with pure compost.

Hossta's pulled out while I dug the holes.

And hosta's planted.

Porch swing on the big pergola

Still need to stain the last one. Was able to find another gallon today, so I know what I am doing tomorrow. Also need to screw the top boards on, still haven't attached them. Need to get a little more shade cloth up too. A lot less sun in the area, but I think with the move it's tough on em.
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

What a difference :D

This is looking good :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply