2011 Iowa Hallson Reunion

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

2011 Iowa Hallson Reunion

Post by Marlys »

Yes - I was VOLUNTEERED to host the Iowa Hallson's Reunion 2011 but really glad to do it except hail has left great devastation here. That too could be worse!

Roxanne reminded me of the reunion on Saturday @ Josh's Hosta Ice Cream Social. I told her and I think it's a good thing & we should just keep it on or very near, our dear Reldon, Renaldo, Rex, Rollo, FB's birthday. I'm thinking that is around July 26th and my birthday is August 1 and I think Bruce Van Wyk's birthday is early August also, so let's have a party. July 24 th or July 31st? Votes on the date?
We'll tour all the ROHS Pella Hosta Gardens, 4 or 5 or 6 gardens. Then we will have the food and games @ Reldon's or at Robin's. Neither one of them know this yet. Connie said she is open to it also. But we could all hang out here too. We can congergate under the old mullberry tree. We'll work it out one way or the other.

I'm thinking we should make this a two day deal as Pella downtown has beautiful gardens in the parks and the Historical Villiage and Windmill is fun to do, plus the Scholte House. People could do the town on Saturday and the gardens on Sunday morning. I have a few garden friends in town that might open their gardens on Saturday also. There are several campgrounds near here and Reldon has spots for a couple campers on his yard and outside electric and water connections. (for Jim & Sheila especially) Actually Ron & I have room and outlets for a couple campers too.

All Hallson friends are invited, Iowans or not. (copied from the Garden Bench)

Cheers!
MM
Last edited by Marlys on Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roxanne

Re: 2011 Iowa Hallson Reunion

Post by Roxanne »

Marlys, I plan to be there, but July 24th is a Sunday and Aug. 31st is a wednesday. A Saturday date would work out best for most folks.
Rox
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Roxanne - Hey!

Sundays are better here for us. Saturdays are too busy with errands and catch-up stuff. But we could do a Saturday too, doesn't really matter to me that much. But girl friend, July 31st is a Sunday too.

Reldon will be home tomorrow so will see what works the best for him. And will check with Connie & Trudy also. I need to check with Dettman's to see which day is better for them to open their gardens too. Then set the date in stone.

Any other Iowa Hallsonites or honorary Iowa Hallsonites that have any input for the date? LMK

Thanx!
MM
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

In your original post, you said Aug. 31st. That's why I said it's a Wed.! Because it is! :D

Do whatever you have to, but Sunday won't work well for me, but if it does for others, so be it!
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Thanx! Roxanne, I edited the original post.
Appreciate the help.

MM
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Hallson Iowa Reunion
July 30th 2011 - Saturday (Reldon picked the date.) :bd:
come early (help get things ready) / stay late (help clean up)
Pella, IA
Contact Reldo-Renaldo-Rex-Rollo-FB for details, questions, concerns or Marvelous Marlys :?:
SAVE THE DATE :!:
Details to follow but basically pot luck, garden tours, hosta exchange, hosta games, same as usual.

CJ should we have another 'biggest leaf' contest :?: What about seedling competition :?: sport competetion :?: That is so fun @ Josh's party :!:

All Iowa Hallsonites & Honorary Iowa Hallsonites are invited. (You know who you are.) And bring a friend or two.
We'll have fun. :D

MM
Marlys
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Is this going to interfere at all with our meeting here in Michigan on the same day? I know some of the same folks came here last year too.
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Well, Chris, I spaced off your get-together as I never get to attend, but I always want to. Reldon set this date. Maybe he is traveled out for the season after the national convention and regional coming up this weekend; or like me, just spaced it off.

I guess the Iowa Hallson Reunion will be for those Hallsonites who can not make it to Michigan to the real thing.

Thanx! Chris. If it were not for your web-site, forum, time, energy, and all, we Iowa Hallsonites would not even know each other. We all became Hosta Friends due to you providing opportunity.

MM
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Chris,
I loved going to your get-together last year, but had not planned on coming out this year; it might be an every-other-year thing for me.
Hmmm....wonder if we could set up a Skype party? Just a thought!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Oh this sounds like fun! Please let us know what we can do!
We would have room for campers also!

We also have a shady spot if we need one.
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Thanx! Trudy!
I knew we could count on you to pitch in and make things happen.
As soon as I get a bit more organized (as if that will ever happen) we'll talk.
Thank You,
MM
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Linda P wrote:Chris,
I loved going to your get-together last year, but had not planned on coming out this year; it might be an every-other-year thing for me.
Hmmm....wonder if we could set up a Skype party? Just a thought!

Linda P

I was thinking about the Skype thing too. That would be a lot of fun with the big screen at Hallson's. :beer:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'd love to be able to get to MI for the Hallson get-together there - Linda & I had a great time there last year!! :D

But... too much going on this year to make that trip.

Just got back from MA it seems like a couple of days ago and Lee will be picking me up tomorrow to head to WI for the Midwest convention.

We have the ROHS tour on Sunday the 17th in the Marshalltown, IA area. Anyone who can make it to that is welcome to join us.

The next weekend is the rescheduled U2 concert in Minneapolis that was originally to be the day after the AHS convention last year.

That's why I picked the last Saturday July 30th for the Iowa get-together.

My daughter, Sara, graduated jr. college in May and will be heading to the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley towards the end of August.
She's asked dad to go along and help her get settled in. My travels for the year will probly be finished after I get back from CO.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Reldon, you are such a 'travelin' man'. Wow...makes me tired just thinking of all that going on!
Maybe next year we can get back to the mother ship for the party! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Makes me tired thinking about it too. ;)

I hope we can. Time will tell...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Stop the press :!: (If you remember that phrase you're at least as old as I am.)
The date of the Iowa Hallson Reunion will not be August 30th. :blush: As when I told Ron the date. He said to me, "Are we going to be here?" I totally spaced off going to Ozark's with friends that weekend. :blush:

Connie D is good with Saturday the 23rd of July or holding off until August. I have calls into Reldon & Linda P to see what works for them. And Roxanne does July 23 work for you or is August better :?: LMK
Trudy, what works better for you & Bruce :?:

Any other Iowa Hallsonites have any input into a new date :?: LMK

I so apologize, dear friends.

MM
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Marlys, July 23rd is Ok with me, but I will have to change motel reservations I made for the 30th, and Dale already asked for that day off work and was approved, so He will have to change that as well.
I guess I will wait for input from others to see if that day is a go or not! :)
Rox
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Roxanne,

I again, apologize for the date change. I have not heard back from Reldon or Linda P. I left them both voice mail on their phones. They are in the midst of Hosta Fun @ the Midwest Hosta Convention. Haven't heard back from Trudy yet either. So, yes just hold tight until we hear from those folks. I know it is a pain when you need to get time off work, etc.

Our weekend 'get-away' was not on my calendar. Ron had made the arrangements and well, I just spaced it off completely. It seems my life revolves around all garden related events but I have to take time out for Ron's stuff too on occassion.

I thought June was an almost unmanageable agenda here. I was looking forward to July being less hectic. Instead there is more going on this month than last.

This weekend my local garden club is holding a Blue Star Memorial Marker dedication @ the butterfly garden we sponsor on Saturday morning. We began the project in 2009.

My Master Gardener group is putting on garden tours, Sat. & Sunday. The butterfly garden is the headquarters & first garden on the tour. I am committed to the registration booth there parts of both days. We have worked our tails off @ the bfg to have it ready for the event. And I had to miss the Midwest Regional Hosta Convention due to these responsiblities. :(

Next weekend - County Fair & the ROHS Summer Garden Tours & Plant Auction. I can't do both, again.

Such is life,
Thanx! Roxanne,

MM
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Well, let's hope it's official this time. After much ado the new date for the Iowa Hallson Reunion is Saturday, August 13th. The hostas will be very weary by then but we'll have fun any way.

Roxanne - I hope this works for you too. LMK!!!

Again, please accept my apologies for needing to change the date.

MM
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Well, egg is on my face once more! :oops:
My cousin's daughter is getting married in Sioux Falls, SD, you guessed it, on August 13th.
After talking with hosta friends we've decided to just plain cancel the Iowa Hallson Reuion 2011. :cry:
We'll see what next year brings.
I had my games all planned out too.

My apologies to all my Iowa Hallsonites friends.

MM
New Topic Post Reply