Exciting, Unexpected Surprise

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

viktoria

Re: Exciting, Unexpected Surprise

Post by viktoria »

I like 'Rhubarb Daquiri'.

Isn't it a bit premature to think of registering it? I register nothing less than five years old. It takes at least that long to know what the plant "wants to be". Keep in mind that 'June' was registered as small and 'Great Expectations' as medium. I have seen specimens of both that were several feet across with dinner plate size leaves.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I do not care for reg legs if not in a pot, meaning eye level--- I like the heartshaped leaf of it and need some small yellow fillers woth to be growing there by them self.. not just fillers

if you can see the red from above... China Kiss ?
i like the name jgh came up with
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very nice, Phyllis!! 8-) Looks like you accidentally got what a lot of people are trying for with the red.
Yours has almost as much red as 'Almost'. Pretty neat!! :D

I like both 'Cherry Kiss' and 'Rhubarb Daquiri'.

I'll also be interested in how long the yellow holds. Looks like it's staying yellow for now.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Viktoria -- I'm not registering anything for awhile -- just giving it a name so I don't have to write "yellow small hosta with red petioles" on the identification tag that I put next to the plant. If it continues to look good for a few more years, then I'll maybe send in my five bucks and get it registered. Now that I think of it, it is probably older than I'd at first thought, because it had been in the border of my front garden for at least four years. Phyllis
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

You can always pot it up and bring it to First Look in Philadelphia next year!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Tigger -- that would be lovely, but there is no way on God's green earth that I'll be traveling to Philadelphia, with or without an attendant hosta! This house we've almost finished is taking up both time and money, and I'm going to have to lie low and not spend more than I absolutely have to for the next year, I think. I will keep everyone posted on how this one does next spring. I have those two pots full of it, so I'm hoping that I won't lose both of them over the winter. You'll be hearing about this one, however -- never fear! Phyllis
gardening lady
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by gardening lady »

Don't change the name. It suits the stems and the "kiss" on the leaf.
New Topic Post Reply