vigerous hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
poppi

vigerous hosta

Post by poppi »

What is the most vigerous hosta in your yard? I'd say mine are First Frost, Old Glory and Francee. Which ones do you find are exceptional growers?
billfosburgh
USDA Zone: 5

Re: vigerous hosta

Post by billfosburgh »

Tenryu, Blue Cadet, Fragrant Bouquet, Teaspoon have all done very well here
CCH Mt. Views Art of Deception ( Sly )
CH Andreas Crybaby Emma ( 2009 CH female UKC World Show )
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
LPCH LPRCH Big Country Mo JO
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

For vigor, my mind goes immediately to edging-type hostas. I don't grow 'Undulata Albo-marginata', but it would take any prize for vigor you can hand out. In my garden, it's 'Blue Cadet' and 'Gold Drop' and 'Gold Tiara'. For big clumpers, there's kikutii and nigrescens. 'Liberty' seems surprisingly vigorous for a variegated hosta, as is 'Antioch' and (as you mention) 'Francee'.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I think position in the garden has a lot to do with vigor. I had a 'Francee' close to my Linden tree for years. Finally dug and divided it and put part of it in a spot with more light and moisture and Wow! You wouldn't know it was the same hosta. Some of my littlest hostas are the most vigorous. 'Kifukurin Ko Mame', 'Lemon Frost', 'Cracker Crumbs' are all vigorous growers that make GREAT edgers.

For bigger hostas, my 'Liberty' has grown very well indeed'. And clausa var. clausa is very rhizomatous and will be come a thug in the garden if it really likes the conditions. (Great hosta for a problem spot). This year my 'Cutting Edge' looks like someone fed it steroids.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Striptease, Paradigm, Blue Cadet and Abba Dabba Do are all very vigorous in my garden.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
poppi

Post by poppi »

Yes, I think you're right about position in the garden...and I'm sure soil has something to do with it as well.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

It seems to be where it's planted. I have a 4 yr old Gypsy Rose in shade that's about 1 foot across and another one the same age in a lot of midday sun and it's about 3 feet across with over 30 flower scapes - it's one happy camper.

Also have a clausa normalis in a lot of sun and it is spreading with 8 flower scapes coming. Other clausa in shade just sit there with no flowers.

Fragrant King and Fragrant Dream are spreading well - lots of sun.

Lemon Frost in sun does great - lots of flowers, multiple times even into October. In shade it stays tiny.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
hostadom
USDA Zone: 4

Post by hostadom »

Kiwi Full Monty and Hanky Panky are probably my most vigorous. One of my Touch Of Class has also done remarkably well.
Pauls Glory, Stained Glass, Mayan Moon/ Abiqua Moonbeam are on the list also.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

The late flowering ones with plantagine heritage like Royal Standard and newer sports.
LemonLime is very fast too.
Both are fast from day one.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

clausa var. clausa has flowers - masses of brilliant deep purple ones, but the buds never fully open.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
mooie

Post by mooie »

Right on top of my list is Sagae. It blows out of the ground every year and multiplies rapidly. Another one that surprised the heck out of me this year was Ginsu Knife. It exploded this year with growth. Maybe it was finally it's leap year! :o

Teresa
~Imagine~
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

The one that increased most (doubled the amount of eyes from 8 to 16!) this year for me is 'Regal Splendor.' I'd call that vigorous.

The ones that grow beautifully no matter what happens to them include all the old school standards like undulata 'Albomarginata,' and especially lancifolia, which I don't think I could kill if I tried. And, of course, the Tiaras are vigorous growers--especially 'Golden Tiara.'

Some newbies that have taken off for me despite hail damage are 'Journey's End,' 'Rainbow's End,' and 'Paradise Island.'
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
poppi

Post by poppi »

I forgot about Katie Q. I have it planted in 2 different locations and both have grown extremely well.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Interesting thing about Katie Q... (named for Mark Zilis' wife) - it's a a sport from H. 'Marilyn'. Marilyn is a so-so plant... slowish yellow hosta. Katie Q is much faster and larger than its parent plant.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Guacamole is the one that tends to flourish, I got em about May and then now it has lots of new leaves & new shoots coming up.

Lancifolia too, she is doing great! Ah, grandmother of all hosta. She will be centerpiece in the Hosta Pioneer Garden. I am just getting the Plantagina soon.

Angie
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Guacamole has done amazingly well for me too here in England bought with 2 eyes/crowns now has 7 in less than 4 months see how it does next year.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Another one is Purple Dwarf, not a hosta that is popular, but this small hosta, with heart shape leaves just keep growing and it is new as well, I think I got it in May. even the slugs did not try to bother this one.

Anyone with Purple Dwarf?
Esox
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Esox »

Abba Dabba Do was the most vigorous and largest hosta in my yard, quickly going to 70 inches across and three feet tall. Lately though it is in decline, and I'm going to divide it, take the best eyes and plant it somewhere else. The next most vigorous is Sun Power, also pushing 70 inches and still the star of the yard.
gesila9

Post by gesila9 »

Komodo Dragon and Empress Wu showed the most growth from last year to this year.

As far as the plants that I bought this spring, I believe Orange Marmalade grew the most.
New Topic Post Reply