Leaf problem

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Leaf problem

Post by ogrefcf »

Planted some new Hostas last week. Went on vacation and came bace to one of Halcyon with weird dying leafs. Any idea of what it is? I checked my other Hostas and can't see anything like it.

Here's the one on the other side of the house. Seems to be doing great,

Any ideas? Thanks,

Owen
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Leaf problem

Post by thy »

Badly sunburned 8-)

Most of the hostas I bye are grown in shaded greenhouses, they have to be adjusted to wind and sun.

Just give it plenty of water :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

It's in a bit over an hour of sun. I chose this spot because it's were my BA are and they are pretty blue with no sunburn. Maybe I am wrong though. I will check tomorrow.
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If you look closely at your pic, you can see one part- close to the concrete wall is nice and blue, then there are one leaf half blue and half green... sun have melted the wax and then the ugly leafs starts.

Do not worry, it will survive and even grow fast if you give it a lot of water and next year it may be apple to handle the sun...
If it is from Chris it is used to the wind.

If you plant some clematis or what ever you like for ramblers, it will help a lot. Even a few leaves blocking the sun a half hour can do miracles :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Yea Pia, I do see the half and half leave. Guess it might be. I will look tomorrow and make sure. I thought it was pretty sunless because like I said I have a BA right next to it with no burning.

Guess we will find out tomorrow and if it is I'll find it a less sunny home!
Owen
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That corner of concrete can trap heat and reflect light. I have a few "shady" places up next to the house, where the hostas burn from reflected light off the siding.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

It is likely the change in environment from where it was grown in the spring to where it is now. Many of mine are doing that this year, as we had a very damp, cool, cloudy spring that turned off hot and dry suddenly. The leaves emerge and form based on the conditions at that time, then if the environment changes drastically it can have that effect.

If you left newly planted hostas a week without water that is probably what happened. Keep them well watered (soaked twice weekly), as that look usually happens when they are too dry.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

It was watered while I was away, also rained. S0 I don't think it's a water problem.
Owen
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gesila9 »

Could it be anthracnose?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Owen,

I agree with some of the other comments, it is really just a little transplant shock from coming from a very shady spot, maybe a little cooler too, to some hot sun. It isn't really the location or the variety, but just that individual plant. It will acclimate to that spot in time.

It also may have been watered or the leaves were wet at a time when the sun was directly on that plant. Also, some of the worst leaves may have been completely shaded out here by other hostas and that could have been the first peak of sunlight they've seen all year. If it was here I would trim off the worst parts of the leaves - I will just fold the leaves and tear them below the brown parts, and then as new foliage comes up it will be acclimated fine.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply