Rain FINALLY!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Rain FINALLY!

Post by Chris_W »

Oh, what a relief. We finally got some rain today after about 2 weeks with nothing, then just a really quick 30 minute storm, and nothing for over a week before that. With 90 degree weather we were seeing lots of burning on plants that were getting some sunlight.

But today we got over an inch and a half of rain and it is still coming down lightly :)

I think all the hostas are sounding a collective sigh of relief right along with me :D
hippieindenial
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Rain FINALLY!

Post by hippieindenial »

I hope some comes our way soon! The forecast says only 1-3mm for us tonight :(
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

YAAAAAYYYYYY!!! We got a downpour here this morning, after being bone dry for a couple of weeks. It came complete with a lot of wind, and now my sweet corn
patch is flat on the ground. The cornfields are not looking so good either. Hopefully the field corn will stand back up again, but it's probably too late for the sweet corn. The hosta gardens really appreciated the rain, though, and it saved me from having to haul the hose around for another week.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Good for you and the hostas

Sorry Linda for the more important corn, but nothing I can do.......

Here temps are okay - a little to the cold side,, specially in nights :frosty:

Heat wave in 15 states - the papers claiming.... i'm in for a trade... give me a few degrees in the nights and I'll send some water

3 times this week I was going to have a barbeque... 3 times it suddenly rained just after it was turned on,... :evil:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

We got a little bit of rain...but just a little. It's been dry here in WI, too. :(

I'm realizing now that while all the shade I have may keep my hostas smaller or slower growing than they would be if they got just a bit more sunlight, it does seem to keep them from crisping when it's dry. I went out and gave them a good soaking Sunday, but they weren't looking any worse for the wear despite a few rain-free weeks.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

Wish we could get some of that! Scattered thunderstorms are forecast for tonight, but not counting on it. We have been bone dry and triple digit record heat since the last week of May. Lot of plant crispiness going on, lost a few plants and trees are really stressed. Blue hostas have lost their wax and going green from the heat, Watering every day, but you can only do so much.

I did notice a Francis Williams hosta at the end of the woods that never gets any extra water....it looks the best I've ever seen a FW look!
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

TOOO much rain here. The last couple weeks the day starts out in the 90's and then the rain comes. The lightening has been amazing. I don't remember storms like this here since I was a kid before this area before the drought started, I'm not complaining though it's been wonderful but with all thunder it's hard to sleep. This state needs this weather soo bad, it's been dry for years. Haven't watered for 3 weeks. Not sure what to do with all this extra time I have can't garden and don't need to water. Americas got Talent hasn't been bad but the girl doing that bar thing over the nails was a little worrisome. See what happens when you can't get out to the garden!!!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Sorry, more to come with this cool front dropping down! I love to see high 80s and the it drops to 60s with rain!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply