Older Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Older Hostas

Post by Angel3K »

Hi,

I have a small garden, and I can't really plant 6,000 varieties of hosta.

Can you please,hosta lovers tell me any variety you know of older hostas (1800s - maybe 1970's, 1980's)

I got Lancifolia, 1888 and then Viktoria help me ID Fortunei albopicta reg. 1987, but said to be around as early as 1867..ah to my delight and she has a flower bud now...

so anything else? I got Krossa Regal..which might be old too.

Thank you in advance.

Angie in Ottawa City, Ontario, Canada
Linda P

Re: Older Hostas

Post by Linda P »

Angie,
If you are looking for older hostas, you will need plantaginea. You can't beat those huge (6 inch long) flowers, or the fragrance that
comes from them. Then you should also look for Royal Standard, which is a hybrid of plantaginea X sieboldiana, the first hosta patented
back in 1965. THen look for any hostas that are species: sieboldiana, clausa, etc. There is a very good hosta species page on the Hosta Library,
with updated information compiled by Mr. George Schmidt.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/species/index.html

Some of the early hybrids were introduced by Frances Williams, Pauline Banyai, Paul Aden, Alex Summers, the Lachmans and Mildred Seaver, among
others. You can research just about anything at the Hosta Library. Click on all of the links on the home page to see what you can find. It will
make a good winter project!!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Angie,

Better yet, if you can get to a library (maybe at the university?) that has a copy of George Schmid's book The Genus Hosta, you can find the chapter that talks about discovery and introduction of hosta species and cultivars.

For a short list, look for things that have names (or parts of names) that look like Latin, even though some of these aren't considered species any more: sieboldiana, ventricosa, Tokudama, Fortunei, Undulata, and definitely plantaginea (which was growing at the house where I grew up, probably planted in the 30s or 40s). Of course, there are species that have been around for eons but are still quite new (20 years) to the rest of the world (like laevigata. Schmid's book is a help here.

Other named classics (circa 1970) that I think are still garden-worthy include:
Francee
Antioch
Elegans (where it isn't listed as sieboldiana 'Elegans') and Frances Williams
Krossa Regal
Gold Standard

Note that registration dates may not be of much help. Many classic hostas were not registered until much later.

Lots of the older cultivars, while lovely when grown in ideal conditions, lack in substance compared to newer hybrids. But if you want to recreate the garden of one of the hosta pioneers that Linda mentions, it's not too hard to do.

Good luck,
David
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

Undulata albo-marginata has been around at least since 1936. I still like it, tough and undemanding and looks good all summer for me. I also like H fortunei albo marginata. Some other old ones that I know about :

Aoki (from Seibold's nursery in 1879)
August Moon (1969)
Eliator (1940)
Fuji Botan
Julie Morss
Kabitan
Honeybells
Ground Master
Lancifolia (1829)
Montana Aureomarginata
Seiboldiana
Shade Fanfare
Zounds

I like some of the old ones as well or better than I do some of the new hybrids. Nothing seems to faze them.

A lot of them have been around long before they were actually registered with the AHS. Some, like Fuji Botan, one of my favorites, were not hybridized, but discovered in the wild.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Thank you very much for the help.

Yes Linda, I started with the plan of putting hosta with fragrant flowers in my backyard, but I end being interested in plant history. I studied Biotechnology in university and it was an eye opener for me, and I keep digging where these fragrant hosta may come from.

So, I went into divergence, and end up planning a small "Hosta Pioneers" garden.

David: Thank for the tip. Yes, I was confuse of the registration date as well, so I might just track down its first known appearance. I will definitely look up the book. :)

Isadora: yes, the reason I like the older ones is their natural ability to survive and they adapted to changing environment with ease. I got Undulata Univittata, and F. Albo Marginata. Carefree and they had survive the constant traffic of kids playing in the backyard.

Thanks very much for all the help. I will write down the few name mentioned above, and take another trip to the nursery.

This will keep me occupied for now ( aside from trying to grow host from left over roots, just roots without the crown-will update soon Chris)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Fortunei aureomaginata, Crispula, undulata, venusta, sieboldiana ( not Elegans)
Try Poul Adens first book too and mark Zillis Hosta Handbook, they are rather easy compared to George W. Schmidt's heavy book
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Hi thy,
I will check on the other books. Schmid books is very heavy, expensive too, just like my biotechnology textbooks. Still very interesting read.

Zilis or Aden might help me better, for just quick reference on my Hosta Pioneer project.

Thanks again.

Angie
thy

Post by thy »

We have O N E of George W Smidts books here in the country, at a library so I could lent if :)

Crispula is known in Europe from 1830 and is one of my favorites. I think the margins on this one are more beautiful than the ones of Fortunai Albomarginata, but that might be just taste :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

I see that Google books has quite a bit of the Grenfell hosta encyclopedia available in preview... not the easiest to use, since it divides into chapters by leaf colors and combinations, but still... some extra free) reading.

Two of my favorite oldies were registered in the 1980s but have certainly been around much longer. Many of the early hostas are of Fortunei heritage.

I've been growing the first long enough to see it change from H. fortunei 'Aureomarginata' to the loss of species status for fortunei to Fortunei and the decision to go with H. 'Fortunei Aureomarginata.' It has also had the common name Gold Crown for a long time. This is a great hosta. It's a little slow to come up - and advantage in a late frost state like Minnesota. It is a very vigorous grower. It is pretty much carefree in terms of demands... holds up to heat and sun better than most of the more modern hostas... gets large and dramatic... and it is ridiculously cheap. Wholesale bare root of a gallon size goes for around $1 to retailers.

BTW, there is a "improved" version - a tetraploid - called 'Twilight.' It is a much inferior plant to the good-old FA... but it does have a nice name. More BTW - there is a reverse sport of Twilight called Morning Light - and it is a truly lousy plant.

Another favorite oldie is H. 'Gloriosa.' It is probably of Fortunei heritage. It tends to be a little smaller than my other Fortuneis, and a little more cupped. It has a neat, thin, pretty uniform white margin. Fortunei Albomarginata (aka Silver Crown) is a ridiculously vigorous white margined plant, but Gloriosa has an elegance about it with the very white, narrow margin contrasting against a strong green base quite different from the more informal margins of FA. Like all the Fortuneis - get somebody to give you a division... 10 years later you will have a dozen of them.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

thy wrote:We have O N E of George W Smidts books here in the country, at a library so I could lent if :)

Crispula is known in Europe from 1830 and is one of my favorites. I think the margins on this one are more beautiful than the ones of Fortunai Albomarginata, but that might be just taste :wink:
ah pia, that is so kind. Im reading the ebook of schmid. its heavey read.LOL
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

A lot of those with Latin names are the older ones - the Undualata .... and Fortunei .... and those that end with albomarginata (white margin) or aureomarginata (yellow margin). Then there are whole families.

I knew that Fujibotan was discovered in the wild and has never been AHS registered, but I didn't think it had been available all that long and was a more recent introduction to the West.

I have Undulata Albomarginata and will always have it as it's mired into tree roots in an area where things don't much like to grow anyway. Very pretty in the spring but by this time of year, slug bate for sure. I much prefer the Undulata (or Undulata Mediovariegata or any of several other names used for the same plant). If you want solid green, Undulata Erromena. I really like my Francee and my Fortunei Aureomarginata, both of which are lovely mature plants.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Thanks Jim.

Yes, Grenfel show up on google, but no reviews or none recommends it here, so I stuck to zilis, aden, schmid.

Of the 3 books, i was only able to afford aden, so I am waiting for it to come up.

I have the hosta silver crown -albomarginata, this is the one that really starts right. Nice leaves, and did not look like dying after transplanting. That's why this oldies got my attention.

i will look for the "gloriosa". I will add this to my wish list - means anything my friends can give for free, or hubby to pick it up along the way.

:)
Thanks for the insight. Ah oh, gracious! you have lots of hosta varieties.:)

Angie
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

ViolaAnn wrote:A lot of those with Latin names are the older ones - the Undualata .... and Fortunei .... and those that end with albomarginata (white margin) or aureomarginata (yellow margin). Then there are whole families.

I knew that Fujibotan was discovered in the wild and has never been AHS registered, but I didn't think it had been available all that long and was a more recent introduction to the West.

I have Undulata Albomarginata and will always have it as it's mired into tree roots in an area where things don't much like to grow anyway. Very pretty in the spring but by this time of year, slug bate for sure. I much prefer the Undulata (or Undulata Mediovariegata or any of several other names used for the same plant). If you want solid green, Undulata Erromena. I really like my Francee and my Fortunei Aureomarginata, both of which are lovely mature plants.
Hello Ann,

I manage to get silvercrown - albo marginata from neighbors and have the francee as well.
I think the dark green leaves and consistent white edge is very stunning in the francee.

The medio variagata, i got it from a neighbor by the corner of the road. She said they were fast grower, so she dig some for me. So far, it fare better than captain kirk.

Do you happen to have the "erromena"? Next time you have a plant sale, i'd like to buy it please.

Angie:)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Sorry Angie,

I was given Erromena as an extra plant once and promptly gave it away as I prefer other solid green hostas in my limited space.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

PS - I had never heard of Silver Crown Albomarginata. Googled it and came up with a discussion that says,
According to the Hosta Handbook by Mark Zilis 'Fortunei Albomarginata' IS 'Silver Crown'.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 25086.html

I looked it up in the Hostapedia and it says:
H. 'Silver Crown' =
H. SILVER CROWN ('Fortunei Albomarginata')

comments: This may be the most widely used trade name in the nursery industry (since the 1970s), though it is often listed as a cultivar.
CORRECT: H. SILVER CROWN
CORRECT: H. SILVER CROWN ('Fortunei Albomarginata')
INCORRECT: H. 'Silver Crown'
Ann
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

ViolaAnn wrote:PS - I had never heard of Silver Crown Albomarginata. Googled it and came up with a discussion that says,
According to the Hosta Handbook by Mark Zilis 'Fortunei Albomarginata' IS 'Silver Crown'.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 25086.html

I looked it up in the Hostapedia and it says:
H. 'Silver Crown' =
H. SILVER CROWN ('Fortunei Albomarginata')

comments: This may be the most widely used trade name in the nursery industry (since the 1970s), though it is often listed as a cultivar.
CORRECT: H. SILVER CROWN
CORRECT: H. SILVER CROWN ('Fortunei Albomarginata')
INCORRECT: H. 'Silver Crown'
Ops my mistake, I meant to say F. Albo Marginata also known as Silver crown.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Angel3K -

This sounds like a really fun project! Sounds, too, like you are getting some great info from everyone here on the forum.

I don't wish to be a wet blanket, but maybe you could consider me a voice of reason...

Since the collection you are putting together could be very special and maybe even rare...please be careful where you purchase your hostas.

Some of the oldie-but-goodies are plagued with things like Hosta Virus X and nematodes. You won't want to add those to your new collections, so be sure to use a reliable source, such as Hallson's.

Maybe some here could also recommend some "safe" places to acquire your hostas?

Have fun, and I hope you keep us posted on your progress. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'd like to echo the advice of eastwood2007, but we cannot purchase from Hallson's up here in Ottawa. Good choices are Budd Gardens right here in Ottawa (east-end Blackburn Hamlet or stalls in Byward Market), Whitehouse Perennials in Almonte a bit west of Ottawa and Rideau Woodland Ramble somewhat south of Ottawa or mail order from Hosta Choice Nurseries, Shades of Green, or Goldenbrook Hostas in the Province of Ontario.

I would avoid Canadian Tire, Rona and Home Depot for sure.

Ann
Ann
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Thanks for the tips and help. I ordered from Dawn-in Peterborough www.gardenplus.ca, I have to call her on monday for my credit card info.
I ordered elegans, august moon, invincible, plantagina, zounds. My lancifolia & gold edger was from Artistic Landscaping in Bank, fortunei albopicta from market (budds- this was the one that i left at my aunts house, and now I took some for my garden). The Undulata -mediovariegata was just around the neighbors and so as the Undulata -albomarginata.

The royal standard, gold standard & red october was in a separate corner because they were from loblaws & walmart respectively.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

There is Hosta Fever just north of Toronto - she's got a picture of H. Pocahontas on the web site (sigh).
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply