Garden tour etiquette

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Garden tour etiquette

Post by ogrefcf »

So I was able to find that Utah has a Hosta society and they are doing a garden tour on the 30th. Since I can't make the 1600 mile trek to Chris's on the 30th , figured I would settle for this. My question is there any rules or etiquette I need to be aware of besides common sense? I know not to go walking in flower beds, pick flowers, Etc. Most places visited are peoples home. Do I ask to take pictures? Any advice is appreciated. I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but want to be sure.
Owen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Garden tour etiquette

Post by ViolaAnn »

Taking pictures, is definitely permitted unless, for some reason, the owner requests no pictures. But getting ideas is one of the big reasons for going on garden tours and pictures help you to remember what you see.

Definitely ask the owner questions if you have any. Most garden owners LOVE to talk about their gardens - especially with people who will be enthusiastic about them. We've all had the experience of talking hostas with people whose eyes glaze over part way into visiting our gardens.

Otherwise, common sense should do it or others on this thread will tell you. Have fun.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

Be sure and thank the garden owner for opening his/her garden for you to view. And never insult his taste in design, plants, art, etc. Compliment, compliment, compliment!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not pick up the tags :wink:

Keep kids and dogs - if allowed, in a short line :lol:

No, just as you would like people to act if the came to look at your garden
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,

I always bring a "nice", sizeable plant as a token of appreciation. Something that is not real popular, been grown adaquetely so it doesn't wilt in the container and something I would love to have in my garden. Make sure to wash and polish the container.

Don't pressure the host for something they would rather not split yet. It's a great reason to visit again.

Never say "I have one like that, it is so much better"... can always say " I'm impressed w/ this particular cultivar".

Bring Bug spray, camera, cold water and a bunch of smiles. :D :D :D
Be part of the solution
thy

Post by thy »

May be difference in coulture, but I would not bring a plant the first time I visited.
Here some ask for a fee, some have a bowl, some do not want anything.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

I disagree with Rick on the gift plant.
If it's a TOUR, then a plant would be inappropriate. Imagine if everyone who toured brought a plant.

If it's a personal visit, then a plant is very appropriate.

I agree on not picking up the tags, even if you plan to put them back.

No Smoking, even in the driveway. Oh, for a tour, park on the street.

Do not ask to use the bathroom, plan on doing so at a public potty.

Plan on bringing your own bottle of water (or leave it in the car), drinks/snacks may or may not be available.

If you have a child with you, keep them close. Your child might have good garden etiquette, but the host may not know that and they might get nervous when a kid shows up. You hosta society may have specific rules about whether kids are ok or not.

Take a pad and paper with you so you can make a wish list.
OR
Plan on taking pics in this format:
First photograph a label, up close, so you're sure to read it.
THEN photograph the leaf
THEN photograph the whole plant
... this works well for me.

And above all, HAVE FUN!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Hey, if anyone wants to bring me a plant, he need not polish the pot!

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Stay on the paths. That does not mean stepping across thin beds to get to another path and kicking a plant as you go.

Ask your host about thin paths - are they for use on the the tour or just for gardening around plants.

STAY OFF THE WALLS. Was I too loud???

Just some observations from my last tour.
Last edited by redcrx on Jul 23, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

I've heard one horror story about this, but I didn't witness it myself. I'm not sure why anyone who was actively hybridizing would open their garden for tours, but on the very off chance they are...respect their efforts. I heard from a daylily hybridizer that visitors to her garden actually fiddled with tags (sure, they were probably just looking at them, but that could be unnerving).

I suppose you could rank this as "common sense," but I've heard some rather unbelievable stories from gardeners I know who've hosted tours. One person even told me that a visitor let her child pick a "bouquet!" :o
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks everyone. Leaving the kids at home, so just me and my wife. To scared at what they might do.
Owen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Owen, It's great to hear that the new Utah group is holding a garden walk! I would likely bring a plant to a garden if I was visiting one-on-one, but probably not on a tour. I think most gardeners would be flattered by having their guests find the garden picture-worthy (I surely would!) and it's usually fine unless there is a specific request not to take photgraphs. I agree that it's of utmost importance to thank the host, and to say a few nice words about the garden as you are leaving. I think everyone has covered most of the main points already, but just wanted to add my 2 cents!
Hope you enjoy the tour, and we'd love to see a few pictures!!!!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

My mother tells a story of a follow-up to a garden club visit. The owner was complimented on how large some of the plants were, and responded that she'd probably need to divide them soon.

Came home a few weeks later to find half of each clump missing. Somehow ID'd the culprit, who confessed with, "You said they needed dividing, so I thought I'd save you the work." OMG
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Tigger, OMG indeed.

And I agree with Linda - a gift plant is sometimes welcomed in an individual visit, but likely not on a garden tour. My garden, at least, is virtually full and I'm very fussy about what I add to it. Also fussy about where they come from. No gardener needs to be saddled with a host of plants that may duplicate what they already have or may come from a questionable background re viruses, etc. or which simply may not be an appropriate size. And somehow, one feels duty bound to look after gift plants even if they aren't appropriate.

For the garden tours in which my garden has been shown, the pleasure comes with showing it off.

Ann
Last edited by ViolaAnn on Jul 24, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I wasn't planning on bringing a plant to any of these. I hardly have anything I could split anyways lol. Thanks again for all the comments. I think I will stay away from the midnight Hosta splitting! I can't believe someone would do that, well actually I can lol.
Owen
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

I read this write up on the Ontario Iris Society, maybe this is something. I have not been to big garden tours, only personal visits to private gardens...so..highlight...leave the kids.

Another one: don't use the washroom. Don't know if I can hold long enough. LOL

Here is the link:)
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... YjBiNDg2MQ
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

When the Ontario Hosta Society came visiting a year ago June, I had my main floor powder room all ready in case anyone needed it, but nobody asked. It might be a bit different from a tour where people come in bits at a time, but it seemed like they were all friends. However, at the 3rd garden on the tour, the host had invested in spiffy outhouses (or maybe the OHS did since we had a picnic lunch at that location). But in general, I guess one should try to avoid asking to use the washroom facilities.
Ann
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I did take my young one, I had no choice. Never had to use the restroom, though we were offered it at some houses. There were plenty of stops in between if we did need to use one.
Owen
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Our gardens have been on several tours.

Dogs are not welcome even on a leash. One couple from England brought her beagle along. Bad!!! We have 6 cats. This is their home. We try to keep them in the shop when we have tours so no one trips over them.

Little children do not enjoy garden tours so if you bring them you will not enjoy the tour either.

Linda P is correct about gift plants.

Pictures always welcomed.

Bathrooms only in urgent circumstance or people you know can be trusted. If a stranger goes into your home go with them or send someone you know with them. When our hosta society has big tours we provide port-a-pottys at the last garden where we have lunch and our plant auciton. The rest of the time you are on your own to find a potty.

We normally provide cold drinks, coffee in the morning, pastries but this is always optional and should not be expected. It's a wait and see thing.

Questions are good. Compliments are good. Asking a garden owner to split a plant for you, not good form. They will offer if they would like to share plants. It's offensive when someone you don't even know says, "When you get ready to split that plant let me know." If a visitor shows a lot of interest or is especially interested in a certain plant it is rewarding to the garden host.

MM
New Topic Post Reply