Dog Decoys for deer control

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
poppi

Dog Decoys for deer control

Post by poppi »

Has anyone tried these for deer control? If so, do they really work? I've tried so many things that I've become sceptical of deer control products.

Here's the link to the website. http://www.dogdecoys.com/
viktoria

Re: Dog Decoys for deer control

Post by viktoria »

I am sure they will work if they bark and run about.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
poppi

Post by poppi »

Maybe I should go out and bark! Although they would just stand there and look at me. :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That's how the deer are here sometimes! One time I started yelling at them and they just stood there chewing. So I started waving my arms and jumping up and down screaming and they stopped chewing for a second and went back. I charged, yelling like a crazy man, and they ran 10 feet, stopped and turned around. I had to finally start throwing sticks and rocks at them to get them to actually run :roll: Not sure a dog statue could do any of those things ;)

We still have really good luck with liquid fence and blood meal. Lots of people have told me the "scarecrow" motion sensing sprinklers work the best.

Good luck!

Chris
billfosburgh
USDA Zone: 5

Post by billfosburgh »

nothing works better than a defimation permitt & a rifle. kill a few & they will get the hint.
we can get permits here to kill them all year if they are causing damage
CCH Mt. Views Art of Deception ( Sly )
CH Andreas Crybaby Emma ( 2009 CH female UKC World Show )
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
LPCH LPRCH Big Country Mo JO
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, that will work until nearby hunters catch wind of it and come to threaten to take YOU out. That's what happened to me this summer. Someone stopped by and said that they heard a "nearby" farmer was taking out deer year round from the area. He told me that he hunts the wetlands next to us, and if he found out who took out a permit to thin the deer year round he would put a stop to that himself. There aren't any other farms next to this wetland other than us, so I'm certain he was speaking directly to me. I don't actually have a permit for it, but I had been considering it. Now I think I will pass on that idea. This is just one more reason for me to hate hunting season - everyone around here is extremely territorial and frankly it scares the hell out me to be out there this time of year.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

WOW! That's just pretty bold...sounds like a challenge to me. I really don't like it when people think it is okay to come to my home/place of business and threaten me...I would be plotting....just sayin'
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Well, whatever was that farmer thinking! Spoiling the hunting season in a vain attempt to protect his livlihood. :???:
Wow....that takes a lot of nerve.
John tells me that we've had a lot of crop loss to deer this year, possibly the worst in the 25 years we've been here.
They've not made it to the garden; they have all that free young corn and silage out there. I don't think there is
an option here to thin them during the crop season, though I have never checked.
Back to the topic here: I can't imagine that the dog decoys would do much. Perhaps the first sight or two might
cause the deer to jump and run, but once they realized that it was not coming after them, they'd probably just
munch right around it.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Our drought was so bad this year the deer came up and ate my host a for the first time in 10years :eek: the best deterrent I have found is DH! Or I should say his urine. He is one of those guys who has to pee on every tree like a dog, so I get him to sprinkle around the property lines LOL. It does help when you live on 10acres in the woods though :x
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: @ Ginger. I could see where that method wouldn't be the idea solution if you have neighbors nearby. :lol:

Chris...that's horrible! Makes you wonder about people. I'd suggest you wear bright orange when you're out working in the nursery. Sheesh!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply