Hosta college

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
poppi

Hosta college

Post by poppi »

After eyeing it for many years, I decided to splurge and bought Gunthers Prize. I hope it matures beautifully. Anyone know if it's finicky?
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: Hosta college

Post by ogrefcf »

That's one that's on my wish list. I hear it has trouble reverting sometimes. I saw a couple nice ones on a Hosta tour last year. Good luck with it!
Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Poppi,

I saw those plants that Jim had and they really did look nice. I can see why you were taken with it this time around.

Yes, the only problem is with it reverting/sporting to a solid color and losing the splashes, but that's how it is with any streaked plant, really, and I don't think this is any worse than others. I have one that was not that great to start and I never lost all the splashes of green but it is mostly solid. I never would have bought another, but those were so tempting at Hosta College... :D
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I have had it for three seasons and it seems slow growing. But it is an interesting plant to look at - streaking and large leaves.
Attachments
Gunther's Prize - 7/26/2011
Gunther's Prize - 7/26/2011
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Poppi, those were very nice looking plants! I was at the table when someone was buying one..wonder if that was you? :roll:
Too many people and not enough time to get around to meet everyone.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
poppi

Post by poppi »

Redcrx and Chris, I would have loved to have met you guys there.

Redcrx, was it on Friday night you saw someone? I had it set aside then and brought my checkbook on Saturday to pay for it...maybe it was me :D

Next year we should arrange a time/place to meet there. :D
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I was in the vending area Friday night before the auction. I saw Jim's plants but didn't get any. I did buy a couple of Bently Gardens plants - Brave Attempt and Kiwi Golden Thimble. And got Smiley Face from Bob Solberg.

I met Linda P and paulhaus. Saw Chris and attended his class. Finally got to meet Jim Swartz at lunch and introduce myself - we have chatted in email. Also met Van Wade he was sitting next to Jim.

(As a side-trip I stopped at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Got to see the XB-70 - a huge aircraft.)
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
poppi

Post by poppi »

Were you able to go to the museum annex? They have an SR-71 there. That's my favorite.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Yes, that was the only place I went this trip. Last year we saw the main hangers but didn't have time to see those other hangers. I wonder if they have two SR-71s. I saw one last year in the main hangers and saw one this year in those other hangers - might be the same one moved around. It was in the hanger with the XB-70 and other experimental aircraft. They really need a bigger hanger to show off the XB-70. It is so high and large the other aircraft packed in there get in the way of seeing the plane.
New Topic Post Reply