Emergence?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hosta-see
USDA Zone: 4

Emergence?

Post by hosta-see »

Is Embroidery slow to emerge? :hmm:
Thanks,
Gary
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Emergence?

Post by jerryshenk »

I'm wondering that about June. I'm rather new to this game and that's the only one of mine that isn't up yet. I have two so I would presume they did not both just die;) and, one other one just showed up yesterday (Abiqua Drinking Gourd). I would guess that in a day or two, we'll both see our late arrivals.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

June is a little later to emerge. but is praying hands got mine last year and yet nothing showing certainly hope I havnt lost it ,was quite expensive and a 50th Birthday present.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I have lots up but none of the Halcyon family.

I haven't seen Embroidery yet but it sits in shade under pine trees.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, Embroidery is slow to come up. I was thinking the same thing last year that maybe I lost them as I had just divided them the year before (kind of late) but they eventually came up just fine :) The only thing I do recommend is watching to make sure they come up with a lighter, greenish/cream center. Embroidery often sports to a solid green but the only real way to know for certain is in the spring, if it isn't a middle variegated plant, and then as it gets older it is a smooth, green leaf. If you do get some solid green eyes get them out so they don't take over the clump.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Embroidery is one of the last one to emerge in my yard every year. It makes me nervous every spring waiting for it.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

In spite of my own best advice not to dig around looking for eyes where you KNOW there should be a hosta, because those tender eyes are easily broken, I always get worried and do it anyway. There was no sign of June, anywhere, but yesterday they all have big eyes poking up there. And same with Praying Hands, I carefully dug all around where I know it is, and nothing. Now it's up. Right where I dug. So don't give up on them, just have patience.

Sandy
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Sandy, I do the same thing. I have no patience. :lol:
Owen
New Topic Post Reply