Red Alert - Streaking?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Red Alert - Streaking?

Post by gesila9 »

I've been meaning to pick this one up from Hallsons for two years now. For some reason, despite filling the car up with hostas, this one has never made it home with us.

I saw it yesterday at a nursery and told my DH to grab one. I didn't notice the streaked shoots until I watered it this morning. Is this usual for Red Alert? I think there are at least two shoots that are streaked. Should I remove them?

Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Red Alert - Streaking?

Post by Diana »

Cool find!!! Yes, I would seperate them and see if they come back that way next year. So far my sports always return as the mother plant, but it is worth a try. What do you have to lose...and everything to gain.

-Diana
jgh

Post by jgh »

I saw a lot of variability in my batch of Red Alert - got them several years ago the first year they were available in wholesale. This one, though, looks really streaky. I'd divide it and try to keep it streaky and plant those seeds. It is from great heritage - the parent plant is Katsuragawa Beni which is one of the best solid-green with red up onto the leaves cultivars... vigorous and attractive. I haven't found Red Alert to be as vigorous, but its a nice plant... and the seeds from a streaked version should produce some very nice plants. If you are into breeding, I'd look at trying to breed it with a really ruffly plant. I'd love to see some Marilyn Monroe/streaked Red Alert crosses!
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Have you seen Red Alert flower? I get buds but they never open.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jgh

Post by jgh »

gosh - now that you mention it, Ed, I don't know! I know that when the parent plant, KB was released, it was highly touted for breeders as bringing new red genes into breeding programs as the original plant was identified in the wild. I guess I just assumed that, as a sport, RA is also blooming... I'll have to watch for that this year...
New Topic Post Reply