NOID, ID please

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

NOID, ID please

Post by Pieter »

This came to me as 'Fire and Ice', which it obviously is NOT.

Any thoughts as to its true identity?

Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: NOID, ID please

Post by redcrx »

Allegan Fog or Alley Oop have that "style". That edge is neat. Great looking plant.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gesila9 »

If the centers turn white, it could be Ghostmaster.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

First two that came to mind for me were Aleghan Fog and Ghost Spirit. Good luck with ID.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

It sure looks like Ghost Spirit to me, but a lot of plants have been sold with that name that have a very white center. I think those have been renamed as Ghostmaster.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

My 'Ghost Spirit' looked like that when I got it but in subsequent years it has had a much whiter centre.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Thank you all for your guesses.

I do have a 'Ghost Spirit' -immature- and comparing the two I'd say this one is more blue than GH's green, and this one emerged misted, whereas GH emerges white-centered for me and the misting develops later in the season, that's what threw me. Let's wait until it flowers to see if we can get any closer, and this may well prove to be one whose identity may not be certain for a year or more, once it has gone through a complete growing season.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

yup... not the Alegan Fog group - those are undulatas and always have green, not the blue that's obvious in this one... I'm a sucker for misted centers but mine haven't emerged yet, so I'll have to watch and see if I have any hints. In any case, it is a pretty plant!
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

OK, so here it is side-by-side with my 'Ghost Spirit', which for me doesn't mist-up until later in the season.

Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

I would go with Allegen fog too but it's so strange how garden centres here label plants wrong. Patriot was a Cordelia (I got it anyway) and Liberty turned out to be Queen josephine pah
jgh

Post by jgh »

Of the plants likely to be in a nursery, I'm guessing Winfield Mist. Check out the hosta library, particularly the third picture which is a youngish plant early in the season. It's a sport from Winfield Blue and has good blue in the spring. The centers will probably get much whiter and the mist may disappear and the blue margins on mine become green by mid-season.

This is a Zilis Q&Z release and has been available generally for, I think, a couple of years. Actually, I don't see it in their catalog this year. My excitement for the plant waned as it didn't hold its misting well for me... but I think you got quite a novelty in place of Fire and Ice (which has a place of honor on my "losers" list anyway...)

Mine is only 1/2 inch out of the soil, so I can't do a comparison!

http://www.hostalibrary.org/wx/winfieldmist.html
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I also say it looks like Ghost Spirit. Who knows how long it was grown before being sent (could have been white earlier, making them think it was really Fire and Ice at first), and actually my Ghost Spirit here are all starting to get misted already and they've all been quite variable.

I doubt that someone would have a Winfield Mist mixup, and it doesn't really look like that to me. It is definitely a mixup with something.
New Topic Post Reply