Color glory

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Color glory

Post by Mark Raw »

Does anyone have experince with colorglory? I saw a few at a local garden cntre and thought it lookes similar to Pauls glory so didnt get one
However I beleive its a giant and there grown at the garden cntre and are cheap is it worth getting if I already have Pauls glory?
Pieter

Re: Color glory

Post by Pieter »

"Paul's Glory', 'Paradigm' and 'Color Glory' look so similar I'd say any one of the three will do in a given garden, can't see much point in having any two of these, never mind all three.

But that's just me.....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I have Color Glory and it's ok, but it is nowhere near what I would consider giant sized. I agree with Pieter....it's too similar to the others to make it worth purchasing.

But that's just me, too.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Ok thanks for that I wont bother as I thought they looked very similar.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Color Glory is a real beauty about one year out of ten. Most years it develops the spring desication burn. Mine was a huge clump, at one time. I took a piece from it for much daughter, and then a few years later it developed a big blue sport. By the time I took the blue part off, there was not much left of it, and it dwindled down to a leaf or two. It's making a comeback now, but the blue sport of it is a really nice big blue.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

what is the blue parent of CG?
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Looks a bit Siaboldiana ??
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

This is what you find on Hugo's Database:
=sieboldiana 'Borwick Beauty'.
='Color Glory'.
The leaf has a chartreuse-green center with a wide blue-green margin; white flowers. Takes a good deal of sun in the northwest. Burns easily.
A sieboldiana type, the plant starts the season with a modest chartreuse center and blue edges. As the season progresses, the center color intensifies to include shades of bright yellow and cream. Note: This plant has mistakenly been sold as 'Color Glory', which does NOT EXIST!
From England comes this beautiful gold-centered H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' sport.
Heavy substance. Lavender flowers.
Found in England by Graham and Betty McBurnie in a row of sieboldiana 'Elegans' prior to 1984, registered by B.H.H.S. in 1988. Center of leaf chartreuse-green with wide blue-green margin, slightly smaller that 'Great Expectations', white flowers.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
poppi

Post by poppi »

I have Color Glory and it looks nothing like Paul's Glory and it's huge. I will take a picture 4 you and post it. I too have some blue reversions/sports. I took one off last year and it looks like I need to do that again. It's not as striking as PG but it is beautiful...but then aren't they all. :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pieter, thanks for that reminder about the name mix-up with Color Glory and Borwick Beauty.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

I've got an old Borwick Beauty... its big and sheltered - and has very unsightly spring desication. This was a bad year for sieboldianas here... long dry early spring... and the desication "burn" is some of the worst I've ever seen. Still... maybe made up for a little by everything being a month earlier than usual...
New Topic Post Reply