H. Last seen August 2008

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

H. Last seen August 2008

Post by thy »

When I mowed my plants August 2008 I had a rather small clump of L Lollipop, it was separated for friends just the year before, but I never saw it again. I thought it may have left by foot like so many other plants, enen it was a small one, but today when I was out watering I noticed a green sport on Lazy Belle, when I got closer it looked weird for Lazy Belle and it sure was ... it was l. Lollipop peeking up like glued to the other hosta.. it have been out of sight for 3 full summers :hmm: :o but it looks healthy and with the mature leaves ... Never trust a hosta, not even when it is gone :lol:

Now I just need to figure out how to free it without damaging any of them

Very happy to have it back :D
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Re: H. Last seen August 2008

Post by jgh »

cute story... and cute hosta... people seem to like it even if it is plain green... just... cute!
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Dig up the whole plant and wash the roots free of soil. The plant may be in 2 seperate parts, if not gently tease the roots apart and look to the rhizome gently pull apart or if needs be cut. The plants will be ok maybe replant in a pot and keep shady and well wateres until they get established. It may give the plants more vigour.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Are you sure thats the right name lollipop I can't seem to find it on the library
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Blue Lollipop and Yellow lollipop ??
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Lakeside Lollipop?
thy

Post by thy »

Yes lakeside Lollipop
The Lakeside hostas have their own area on the hostalibrary, upper left corner in the l
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Wow...a hosta stowaway! You just can't trust those little green ones. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe when you moved them, it was hiding in the same pot and just got tangled up with the other one?
I kept some hostas here for my friend about 10 years ago, when she was between homes. She came
to dig them up when she got settled in, and about 3 years later a little hosta showed up in that area,
and today it is a big clump of something that we have not quite figured out yet. I think it's Gloriosa, but
she doesnt' remember having that one. I know I bought it at one time before I had any place to grow
hostas and I think maybe I gave it to her to grow on. Who knows. Its' kind of neat to think that a hosta
I gave her 20 years ago would find its way back to my garden permanently, but no way for sure to tell,
since neither of us was keeping records back then.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

Gloriosa has always been one of my favorite "oldies." Nothing particularly distinguishing, but the neat thinish white margin is white all season and makes a good contrast with nicely shaped dark green leaves... I probably had a dozen or more around before the collection got out of hand...
thy

Post by thy »

Hostas are tuff :D
To hide down in the soil for 3 years and then work its way up :D We just have to love them :wink:

Was going to wait with this untill I have spoken with some neighbours, but now I start, then the exact year will come one day.

When I got the house there were grass in the frontgarden, it was dug off and the beds were made, last year I notised sone red starks just bu the trunk of the 2 year old Atlas cedrus, weird, then during the summer it was not to mistake, it was a peony. I thought it was in the pot with the cedrus, but this year an other peony are popping up on the same line in the front yard :o looking like there have been a border of peonies sometime.

There have been grass for at least 9 years befor I got the house and now when the grass aren't moved every week, they are trying to transform my :o hosta bed to a peony ghost area :eek:

How can a plant surviwe for so long without any light :hmm:
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Pia, years ago when we first moved to OR., I planted a row of Peonys on the south side of our little old trailer. 22 years later we moved a manufactured house in. All the Peonys had been given away . Now on the north end of the deck , growing sort of out from underneath it, a Peony comes up every spring. So 'who knows what what evil lurks in the heart of Peonys or Hosta, or man for that manner'. :lol:To sort of coin a phrase.
Lovin' the great northwest!
New Topic Post Reply