What Hosta would you choose?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hippieindenial
USDA Zone: 5b

'Goodness Gracious'

Post by hippieindenial »

rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Re: What Hosta would you choose?

Post by rockNhostas »

I just placed my last order of the year (well...maybe) and I ordered Goodness Gracious. I'm glad I did or I would be kicking myself after seeing this picture.
Gorgeous!
John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Post by John Polka »

you must be way more generous than I am lol... I agree with the others... no sister no sister no no
John
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Well its already started. I have made a mistake. The hosta I brought home didnt have tags. I was looking at both Cracker Crumbs and Faithful Heart. The one I brought home is Faithful Heart and not Cracker Crumbs. :oops: my bad
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

AWW-But Faithful Heart is a little cutie also. Didn't you say your sis or mother had Cracker Crumbs?
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
jgh

Post by jgh »

Well... the good news is that Faithful Heart is also a really good small hosta... easy to grow, very sun tolerant... my favorite from the whole Cheatin Heart clan... only problem is a kind of dumb name...
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I am in love and it is not fair at all ....
Goodness Gracious!
Anyone want a mature h. Satisfaction
The h. stand for hosta.. not human :evil: :lol:
Last edited by thy on Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

jgh wrote:Well... the good news is that Faithful Heart is also a really good small hosta... easy to grow, very sun tolerant... my favorite from the whole Cheatin Heart clan... only problem is a kind of dumb name...

I'm not one that cares much about hosta names. I'd never plant a theme bed and I wouldn't care if they all had numbers instead of names. But I do hate the dumb name ones. I recently gave away two to a friend. I hated that I had to tell her they were called "Elvis Lives" and "Rootin Tootin". I should have just said they were NOIDS.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Couldn't agree more :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

Now that I really think about it, I find most of their names pretty dumb. Big Daddy? Hate that. Pineapple UpsideDown Cake? silly. Stained Glass? looks nothing like stained glass. I think the only name I actually like is Halcyon, which I don't even have anymore.
boops

Post by boops »

Would be a bit confusing when trying to order one-I'll take noid 229. :lol:
My Hosta List

kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Noreaster wrote:Now that I really think about it, I find most of their names pretty dumb. Big Daddy? Hate that. Pineapple UpsideDown Cake? silly. Stained Glass? looks nothing like stained glass. I think the only name I actually like is Halcyon, which I don't even have anymore.
I think the names can be kind of fun. But then again, I do prefer the more dignified ones. 'Halcyon' is a good example. I also love the name 'Parhelion,' although I don't have the hosta yet. I'm a weather buff, and I know that "parhelion" is the technical term for a sun dog.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I usually dont go by hosta name. I buy what I like, the name is just what it is. I just wanted a hosta named Tom for my hubby. I guess I could name one of my noids Tom or one of my seedlings. Ohhhhh hubby is a big guy with a big heart. My seedling is a huge heart shaped leaf hosta. Guess who Tom is. :beer:
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I suppose if there was a hosta named "Seamus" I would have to have it, in memory of my special dog I lost a few years ago. But it would also have to be as beautiful as he was, otherwise I would be very annoyed! But other than that, I don't put much stock in the names.

Kayly, I like the name Parhelion and just looked up the meaning recently.

Here is my sweet Seamus, posing with the hosta
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Noreaster, that is such a charming picture. What a beautiful dog Seamus was. You'll have to find a sport or grow a seedling and name it in his honor.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

I have lots of favorites, but one old timer deserves mention, and that's Elegans. It never fails to please. :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

boops wrote:Would be a bit confusing when trying to order one-I'll take noid 229. :lol:
Hmm, maybe I'll set up the catalog like a Chinese takeout menu. Just order by number :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Noreaster wrote:

I'm not one that cares much about hosta names. I'd never plant a theme bed and I wouldn't care if they all had numbers instead of names. But I do hate the dumb name ones. I recently gave away two to a friend. I hated that I had to tell her they were called "Elvis Lives" and "Rootin Tootin". I should have just said they were NOIDS.
There are some names that really bug me, but others I find cute. As someone who has had the fortune (misfortune?) to have to come up with a few different names for hostas, it can be really tough, but I put a LOT of thought into them, and get as much input as possible before finalizing it. Some names simply infuriate me, though, especially in the instances where I've suggested really great names to the person and then they chose something horribly nonsensical...

This year's winner for least favorite name is Blueberry Muffin. It is blue with purple petioles, and I still don't get it... Blueberry Muffins are blond/yellow with purple spots, but I guess a hosta with leaves that looked like that would probably be virus infected :lol:

And themes just for the sake of creating a theme always seem to backfire. Cracker Crumbs is a great hosta, Cookie Crumbs is a great growing little green with a white edge but not all that special, and does anyone even grow Bread Crumbs???

Reminds me of a funny story - A woman I worked with for a few years was married to a man named Cash (real first name, not a nickname) and when they were having a child she told Cash that if it was a girl he could name her, and if it was a boy she would name him. They had a girl, and we asked if Cash named their daughter Penny. No, he named her something else (I forget) but wanted to know why we thought he would have named her Penny? I told her that would have been better than Check or Debit Card, and she was really confused then. Took about 15 minutes to explain it to her :lol:
jgh

Post by jgh »

Just don't mess with my economists' theme, ripped right from the headlines...

H. Gross National Product
H. Unsustainable Growth
and the ever-popular
H. Persistent Unemployment

I think they'll sell...
boops

Post by boops »

especially the last one!! :eek:
My Hosta List