HVX Strips

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

HVX Strips

Post by boops »

I ordered some and was wondering how do you do the test? I have one plant, don't see any problems, but bought at a local nursery and want to be sure.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
eastwood2007

Re: HVX Strips

Post by eastwood2007 »

HI, boops -

The tests come with instructions, but simply put, you crush a small piece of leaf material in their envelope of solution and insert a test strip. It registers in just few minutes.

If the hosta is not showing any symptoms, and the virus is not very far advanced, you could get a false negative. What hosta are you testing?

Oh, be sure to use a young leaf...

Good luck!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
jgh

Post by jgh »

good advice from Charla... and I can add something... I took a video of the guy from the test strip company doing a demonstration test at the 2010 convention and posted it on Youtube... 3 1/2 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JX7d3GeGzY&feature=plcp
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Hi all-thanks for the Info. I am testing Paul's Glory purchased as a local retail nursery, grown at an east end of LI, ny nursery, don't know where the starters came from. Someone else had spotted an possible HVX problem with a Hosta on display at one of the same retail nursery chains so I think better safe than sorry.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
New Topic Post Reply