Journey's End.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Journey's End.

Post by ogrefcf »

Maybe it's just me, but the leaves seem a bit small on this. Is it possibly planted to deep? I bought it from Chris, here it is last year.

And this year,

Am I worrying about nothing and it's just growing? Thanks!
Owen
ogrefcf

Re: Journey's End.

Post by ogrefcf »

And here's my jimmy Cracked Corn in the same bed. Last year.

This year,

I'm thinking to deep also.
Owen
John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Post by John Polka »

mmm can you take close up pics of the soil level at the base of the hostas...
sometimes hostas revert maturity when they are divided or transplanted... hence more smaller leaves...
John
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Yep,

Owen
John Polka

Post by John Polka »

I don't think they are too deep... I can see where the petioles meet at the base...
When planting... I spread out my roots in all directions... diggin a wide hole... then I will make sure to dig down atleast ten inches and clear out all obstructions...then backfill...then with my hand.... work out a bowl large enough to spread the roots out in... and just deep enough to put the crown barely under the soil surface..
I usually don't get terribly anal about planting just right perfect... the soil is gonna settle... your gonna mulch and amend... heaving in the winter will raise them too...the hosta generally will deal if you are an inch too deep from perfection... I'm more anal about the actual soil and ground.. always adding some sort of compost or something to the ground lol.... its all about water and soil....
John
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Awesome, thanks John! :beer:
Owen
John Polka

Post by John Polka »

Yeah.. pretty much like with anything... put the roots in the ground, the base of the foilage at the soil level and you're good. I think when people fuss about hostas planted too deep..people are planting the roots under INCHES of soil... putting the base of the petioles down into the ground... like they are planting a tomato plant or something lol....
John
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Owen, It looks to me like you've just got some new growth going on. Chris grows his plants in the ground and when you get them they
are already showing mature stature and leaf form. Then those fabulous roots take off and grow when you get them, and you have a
young plant rapidly pushing on to maturity. I think you're doing fine with those...give them another year or two and you'll see the
fabulous mature leaf shape. My hostas have been stressed by many factors this year, and there are some that have smaller leaves.
I noticed just yesterday that about 1/3 of Blue Angel has young leaves on it. I'm thinking it might have had a vole nibble or two over
the winter..not enough so that I noticed it, but enough so that there is some rapid growth on the edge of the crown, pushing out the
less mature leaf form. I do have my camera working now, will have to see if I can get some pics one of these days and then figure out
how to get them on to my computer (new camera...never did figure out how to load the pics from it!)

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I also think it is doing just fine, and the depth looks right. Unless you planted way too deep they usually adjust in a season without any trouble. Journey's End usually takes a couple seasons to settle in here too and I think it will really start to show some maturity in a couple more :)
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Okay, thanks everyone. Guess I will just be patient lol. Most my other Hosta have taken of and got so big, I was worried about the couple that didn't.
Owen
New Topic Post Reply