Cutting off hosta flowers as the stalk appears.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Cutting off hosta flowers as the stalk appears.

Post by Bob Scott »

Is there any advantage for the hosta's growth when doing this? Moore energy to the plant possibly?
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Cutting off hosta flowers as the stalk appears.

Post by Mark Raw »

I have tried cutting the flowers off as they emerged. Didnt seem to make any difference. Think there is more energy used in seed production than flowering.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I don't cut the flowers off, as I am one of those crazy people who like to see the flowers and grow the seed. :wink:
The plant has a natural life cycle, and I prefer to let that cycle continue. If a plant is very tiny, or struggling in
some way and it's producing a flower stalk, I may cut it off so that it doesn't have to spend the energy pushing up a
stalk, but I've only done that a handful of times in 30 years of growing these plants.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Bob, for years now I have cut the flower spikes off of all the ones that we didn't want go to seeds
and I have noticed a size increase of those hostas. All one can do is try it a season or two and note the
differences?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Some say that the flower stalk isn't spending any extra energy once it comes up but the seed production does, so let it flower and then cut off after the flowers form. I've also seen plants where an emerging flower stalk was damaged/frosted in the fall and then it does weird things the next year, like it wanted to flower but wasn't allowed and it disrupted the natural growth so tried to flower again. For that reason I agree with Linda that I like to let them progress naturally. When a plant gets old enough to flower that's a good thing, because the next stage is multiplication.

I don't cut them back at all here and just let them grow on their own, but if I was to cut I'd do it after it flowers some.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I avoid planting hostas with flowers that don't deserve to be seen, but sometimes you can't help it. And as I have little use for seeds from most of them, we do dead-head once the flowers are gone.

I seem to remember reading, though, that you should wait for at least one flower to open and ripen (even if the plant is sterile). The flower, once pollinated, sends a hormonal signal through the plant that says "It's o.k., guys, we got pollinated this year." That won't stop more spikes from forming, but reduces the priority for flower production. If you keep cutting the scapes before blooming, the plant keeps trying to make more at the expense of other development.

A tip from my experience: don't cut the scapes at the ground, but leave them 4-6" tall (maybe 1/3 as tall as the hosta mound) to serve both as markers and deer-deterrent spikes through the winter and spring.

David
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

I love the flowers so I don't cut them off and as I like to play with seed starting I usually let the mature plants ripen some of their pods. But with plants two years or younger, I'm cutting off the stalks as the pods start to form so the energy goes into the plant instead of seed production. Hopefully this will help grow bigger plants faster. Tho some of them don't even have flowers until they are in the garden for their third year.

Sandy
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

The rabbits keep cutting my scapes. :( I hope they leave a few so I have some seeds to plant. I need a plane to fly over weekly and drop liquid fence on everything.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I wonder if the rabbits are smart enough to chop off the flower heads creating a spike that slows deer from competing with them.

I wonder that as I look at the huge flowerless spike on my Fujibotan.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Thanks everyone! I do enjoy the flowers. I'm jut getting old and impatient to see the actual hosta get bigger. :lol:
Letting them flower and then cutting before they go to seed is a winner in my books! :wink:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:wink: Bob

Do rabits brush their teeths in alcohol or in bleach :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

thy wrote::wink: Bob

:hmm: I give up! Which one? :D
I'd brush their teeth with a gun if I could get away with it. I hate those wascally wabbits! :lol:
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

The expert opinion (from George Schmid, the author of "The Genus Hosta") is to wait until the first flower or two open before cutting the scapes off; doing it earlier has a negative effect on the plant. He offered this opinion in another hosta forum sometime within the last year.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

No, they don't! I hope none of my neighbors have hostas with hvx. :eek:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Patrushka wrote:

No, they don't! I hope none of my neighbors have hostas with hvx. :eek:

:blush: DUH! now I get it! :lol: :blush:
New Topic Post Reply