Tattoo

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Tattoo

Post by jgh »

Well... didn't generate any comments when I included Tattoo as an "of course" on my list of three on the Exploding World thread...

so here is my annual Tattoo post. I don't treat it special. It is actualy kind of exposed to winters in the upper tier of a raised bed. It doesn't get watered as often as most of the garden. I always plan to fertilize but never seem to get around to it. It is probably retarded in its growth a little by being in a "container." It is about 30" in diameter.

Great hosta!

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Tattoo

Post by ViolaAnn »

Great looking specimen of a variety that is reputedly hard to grow well! I've never tried it, but you obviously have the knack. :D
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Nice Hosta. My attempt failed. Never saw it again after planting. Is the secret keeping it in a container like Great Expectations.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

:cool:
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I had great success with Tattoo until we moved and I lost it in the process. :bawl: I finally found out where I can get another one, and I will be ordering a replacement. I didn't fuss much with it either, but within my "hosta circle" I was the only one who had luck with it. I think it likes a lot of drainage, plus sufficient sun. Mine was planted in a thin layer of compost, dirt and peat....with granite right below that the roots grew into. When we moved, I stuck in in good quality dirt, peat and compost....but no granite. It didn't survive the winter.

Nice pics. Can't wait to get another one growing in my garden.
plantbug

Post by plantbug »

WOW!! Can't wait for mine to grow up!! :D
jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by jonbry123 »

Yes wow on a beautifully grown Tattoo. In reading posts online from Tony Advent the originator the plant needs to be in a well drained soil and a spot that receives good light-no deep shade or complete shade areas. In the winter time the plant is subject to crown rot more so than other hosta and a number of people I know cover theirs with a can or jar once the plant has gone dormant to keep the crown dry. I purchased mine last year as a tiny TC plant and it came back this year having doubled in size. It gets about 3-4 hours of direct sun starting around 2PM or so. Regarding Great Expectations this one also requires good light requiring morning or late afternoon sun or dappled sunlight all day long. It likes lots of water and fertilizer and needs warmth to do well. Those in the northern latitudes may find this one a challange to grow because of the cold and not properly placed where it will receive enough sunlight. Using as a foundation plant with a west or southern dappled exposure should work for those who live in northern climes.
Jon
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

NICE! Mine died years ago. Yours is the best I've seen, hands down. :beer:
New Topic Post Reply