Crystal Chimes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Crystal Chimes

Post by redcrx »

I have been trying to grow Crystal Chimes for a few years because I wanted a white "spidery" shaped flower. (Chris had sent me Blue Haired Lady as a bonus and it puts out a very similar flower so I don't know why I bother but I do.) I had a horrible problem in the garden it was planted in last season - it was a new garden and it got overrun by tree roots and nothing was growing. I had to dig everything out. I got the idea to put them in troughs as a temporary measure. That turned out to be pretty easy so now I have a lot of troughs around. One problem is some plants get big quickly and need to be moved to pots or put in the ground. Crystal Chimes is a tiny plant (at least for me). It flowered for me a couple of days ago and thought I would post some pictures.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... l%20Chimes
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Crystal+Chimes
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/crystalchimes.html
Crystal Chimes with Mystic Star at the far end and Surfer Girl in the middle
Crystal Chimes with Mystic Star at the far end and Surfer Girl in the middle
Crystal Chimes
Crystal Chimes
Crystal Chimes
Crystal Chimes
t21 Crystal Chimes f 12 05123zb.JPG (38.19 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Crystal Chimes
Crystal Chimes
This last shot shows the plants yingeri heritage where it has two different size stamen - three long and three short.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Crystal Chimes

Post by Chris_W »

I looked it up in the hosta library and it is a nice flower but not much of a plant. It is funny because I have lots of seedlings around here where the flowers and/or dark scapes are spectacular and then you look down and it is just a plain green, kind of like this one, and I still like them a lot for their flowers :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ditto, Chris! I even found a little plain jane green one with nice white flowers this year (probably a seedling of Snowflakes) and decided to keep it for a while.
I had not heard of Crystal Chimes. Interesting, to see a white yingeri-type flower.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I posted it to show something a little different. I feel like I'm repeating myself when I show 9 different Moonlight look-a-likes or 7 different Risky Business look-a-likes.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing Ed. Like I said, I enjoy the flowers even if it is just a green one, and it isn't one I've heard of before :D
New Topic Post Reply