Dead Shade Hosta Suggestions

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Dead Shade Hosta Suggestions

Post by boops »

I have an area beneath window boxes on my house that I consider dead shade-it gets light but absolutely no sun. the space from ground to bottom of window boxes is 24" and the length of the area is 9 feet. Any suggestions to a Hosta that would do well in this area? Thanks all
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Dead Shade Hosta Suggestions

Post by ViolaAnn »

Try a blue - maybe 'Blue Cadet. Mine does well in a spot that has proven way too dark for many hostas.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
boops

Post by boops »

sounds good-I have one in my back yard that got a bit burnt I'll move it there. Have to get a few more for the area as Blue Cadet isn't very large.
My Hosta List

Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

I think most of the blues would be ok in shade, maybe also blue and white or the old fav Frances Williams???
boops

Post by boops »

Maybe i'll alternate one blue, one blue & white, another blue and another blue & white. Now for the search. :eek:
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Sagea and its family may also be ok among your choices
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Mark but the space is only 24" from ground to bottom of window box. Chris's site says height as 36" for Sagae. I'll be doing a more detailed search when I get home tonight.
My Hosta List

Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Does it get enough water in that spot to keep something alive? Sometimes the edges of the house are the driest areas in the gardens, especially if there is any kind of overhang. If they get enough water then I think almost anything could work other than maybe some of the really extremely white variegated ones.

Do you want it to be as tall as the window boxes or considerably shorter? Also how much space do you have out from the house?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

My thoughts Chris, water is a key to most hostas.

Then, the blue wax can be a problem up north. It was the NY members here, who told me why I could not get my blue really blue - I had them in too deep shade.

Think of the wax as a sort of sunprotection, if there is no sun, they do not need protection.
Viola Ann is up north too, so Blue Cadet have to be tested :wink:
Halcyon didn't get the wax.. but June did :hmm:

Yellow and green ones will do just fine, exept from the plantaginea family .. the fragrant ones

The light do depend on the color of the house too, if white it will reflect more light than other colors.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thy - we are only 45.4214° N in Ottawa. Copenhagen is 55+° N, Skagen is 57.7219° N, Flensburg is 54.7793° N - you are quite a bit farther north than we are. Most of the US-Canadian border runs along the 49th parallel.

But this very hot summer is the first year that I've visibly had the wax be gone from plants like 'Blue Ice' and 'Aristocrat'. I have heavy shade over my largest hostas gardens and the blue ones there are more protected.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Pia My june always had the wax long after others have lost it. It is one od the more subtly coloured type, an older plant. From what I have seen available here it now seems they are all the brighter coloured version with little wax if any at all. Even in sun mt June doesnt turn yellow and manages to keep the wax whereas my Halcyon looses it as do my other June sports namely El Nino, is that strange or any others have that happen??? :hmm:
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Interesting about the "blue ones" and no sun. My Guarding Angel is in a spot this year with no direct sun at all but good light and it was very green. High heat maybe?
I also have Diamond Tierra (sp), Ginko Craig there with a couple of different ferns. All are growing nicely but it does take extra watering because of roof over hang on two different sides and very fast draining.
boops

Post by boops »

I was thinking of putting 3 Antioch's there since they don't get very tall but do spread in width. I have three of those already and now you can't even see them because of other tall plants. I think thats what I'll do. Also because I have gone WAY over my budget this year on plants. :eek:
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Antioch would add brightness to a dark area, but it may be more attractive to slugs in the dark. It looks a thin substance one to me similar to Undulata albomrginata. As you can guess I havn't had an Antioch am just going on looks.
boops

Post by boops »

Yes your right as to substance, it is not a thick leaved plant, right now where they are, slugs are having a good time with them, mostly because I forgot about them and didn't bother with slug killer. The area I am putting them in is right at my front door and I will be using my Bug getta there. Right now I have two divisions of Aphrodite and besides being too large for the area, they don't flower. So I will be putting Aphrodite in a better area and hopefully give Antioch a break before they just disappear. :eek:
Last edited by boops on Aug 29, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Addng some Ferns may be a good idea, they can take the shade and seem not to attract slugs and snails, they also provide a Nice foil for the hostas.
boops

Post by boops »

Oh def. ferns, I have plenty to spare. They spread all over the place in my yard. I have a soaker hose set up where I am putting Antioch and the ferns. May even put an astible or two to fill in, lord knows I have enough of them.
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Nearest I have to Astilbe is cimicifuga or actea as it was known. Started well but think its lower leaves died off cos of light competition from Blue Angel haha its was almost covered. tallest spike of Actea just getting ready to flower I love the smell of that.
boops

Post by boops »

Oh I love Actea-I have one called James Compton I planted last fall, its only about 18 inches tall right now, but should take a nice leap next year. I have Rainbows End near it and some Japanese Hakone Grass. I had another one called black beauty but it died :( .
My Hosta List

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I have a relatively "dark" area and Lemon Frost, Lemon Lime and Gypsy Rose do NOT work but Pilgrim and Paradise Sunset grow well.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply