Dead Shade Hosta Suggestions

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Re: Dead Shade Hosta Suggestions

Post by rockNhostas »

I recommend 'Northern Exposure', but any will work.

My first hosta garden was in very deep shade right in the woods under mature red oaks. Virtually no sunshine got in. My plants thrived there, I'm sure in part because the soil was so rich with years and years of natural compost from the oaks. Enrich your soil and water them regularly and you will not have any issues with lack of sun. You can put almost anything there. I recommended Northern Exposure because the color is gorgeous in deep shade, and the variegation gives it just enough "pop" so it will stand out, even though not as bright as a gold. It will take a bit longer than the 3 years for it to come into it's own, but it's well worth the wait. It was a definite favorite with my visitors.
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

I'll have to look into that one. Sounds good to me. Probably do it in the Spring tho. when i buy a few more for one of my other gardens instead of paying shipping twice.Thanks Rockin!!
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I was looking up Pilgrim and found this old topic. I had just done a topic about a plant in shade Green Nature Lady - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61020
I was adding some photos to Pilgrim - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45260#p502893
I have been working with a really shady area for many years with the complication of heavy tree root competition. I had a bunch of plants that were not doing well (read that as dying). Last season I finally gave up and went to troughs in that space and transplanted what I had left (most died except Glenn Tiara - tough little plant). I added some things. This season I have added some more to replace what didn't come back. One plant in this space that was "new" and came back was June Fever.
I had been trying for years to get my children's initials into my garden - it didn't work in the ground so here are the troughs - S A M not in birth order.
SAM 17 2353.jpg
In this photo there are 3 June Fever that came back from last season - most of the others are additions to replace things.
SAM 17 2352.jpg
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply